• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. N

Lost in the World? The Romberg Test Poll

I did this for sixty seconds each time. With eyes open, I was swaying a bit, but able to correct. I felt the way the pressure kept changing in my feet and legs, and sometimes the legs really clenched to keep me upright. When I did it eyes closed, the same thing, but it became increasingly...
  2. N

Article: Compadres in Scarcity: Patterns Emerge in the Bottom of the Barrel at the NI

If breast cancer has its pink ribbons, maybe we should all start wearing nightcaps to raise awareness. If a few thousand of us showed up to take a nap at the CDC maybe it would make the point that treating 'chronic fatigue' will require more than just a nap to get us over our 'fatigue.'
  3. N

Murine AIDS and MLVs

Has any one investigated whether the variants of MLV/XMRV found by WPI and Alter are the same or similar to the MLV that causes MAIDS -- murine acquired immune deficiency syndrome? In reading about MAIDS, many of the problems caused by MAIDS in mice sound similar to the Canadian Clinical...
  4. N

XMRV and Culturing, HERV's and more

I had Shingle when I was 9, and have had chicken pox more than 14 times. My health deteriorated and I was sick all the time after shingles. I appear to have been a normal child before that. (Although I did have pneumonia at 7.) It was after shingle I had the endless sore throats, swollen glands...
  5. N

Transplant Experts share XMRV transmission concerns: Retrovirology journal

Btw, Dr. Judy has already addressed the rodent thing. No, it's NOT a mouse virus. It's a human virus. It's xenotropic, meaning it cannot cause disease in mice. XMRV differs from the viruses carried by wild mice. At some point in history, it changed in a way to infects humans but not mice. Now...
  6. N

Transplant Experts share XMRV transmission concerns: Retrovirology journal

People keep saying that Groom et al didn't find XMRV in the UK. That's WRONG. They DID find it... just not where they expected. They found it in their healthy controls and not in CFS patients. This is important! 1) It shows that XMRV is in the UK -- and contradicts McClure, Wessly, et al...
  7. N

New unofficial data on XMRV in CFS according to WPI

If I could afford it, I'd get myself and both kids tested. I have CFS, son has autism, daughter has irregular fatigue (pre-CFS?). I have several health problems, but the cluster of symptoms that don't fit any of my 'real' (you know what I mean!) diagnoses are Canadian Clinical Consensus -- I...