• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Mimi

Is there BH4 supplement/medicine?

Kuvan is not the same thing. It is a precursor to BH4. However, the effect is very similar. I took 33 mg/day and had no side effects.
  2. Mimi

Careful with the research powder. It gave me toe cramps and I read one account of a woman who had eye bleeds. Of course, it's always hard to tell from a post online (see mthfr.net), but I had a lot of experience with that Swiss powder. Most of it great, but the toe cramps got a little annoying.
  3. Mimi

Sorry to hear about the gastritis. You are supposed to freeze it and prevent exposure to air. Otherwise, it loses potency.
  4. Mimi

Lactic Acidosis from Probiotics

Agreed. FWIW, Sacchomyces boulardii made a world of difference for me. But I was already taking Lufenuron to fight Candida. S. boulardii just gave it a boost. Now I'm working with Soverign Labs liposomal colostrum. Love that stuff. M
  5. Mimi

Lactic Acidosis from Probiotics

Seems like DCA ought to be perfect for resolving the lactate problem. www.dcasite.com.
  6. Mimi

Anyone Trying Niagen?

@aquariusgirl, am interested to hear what kind of copper you are taking. Also, reference to why you think this is helpful?
  7. Mimi

Anyone Trying Niagen?

Over the course of a year, I did 12.5, then 15, then 25, then 30 mg and stayed at 30 mg for about half a year. The two years before that I just did 5 mg but even 2.5 mg was enough to make a palpable difference at the beginning.
  8. Mimi

Anyone Trying Niagen?

Hi Theodore, I am still taking it but I crashed a couple of times so now I'm trying to figure out why. After pushing hard with exercise and caffeine, I crashed hard. Picked myself up, kept muscle testing. No Niagen the morning after coffee. Niagen and caffeic acid are both AMPK activators. Next...
  9. Mimi

Anyone Trying Niagen?

Had a second big workout on Niagen. Plenty of energy to burn. I spent several hours doing housework and organizing, working up a sweat. After a break, I walked 20 blocks. Afterwards I felt tired and my legs felt heavy. That feeling has not gone away for 2 days now, even as Niagen continues to...
  10. Mimi

Follow-up appt with Dr. Kaufman - lab results

@Mary, I muscle tested the BCAAs and they tested strong! I htook some last night but they didn't seem to make any difference. My legs feel so heavy it's like they are about to fall off. And I still have post-workout fatigue from day before yesterday. My mind is clear, though, so Niagen is still...
  11. Mimi

Yum to the omelet idea! Soon! Thanks for the branched chain amino acids idea. I love finding out what works. I bought leucine recently and it tests exceedingly weak. But perhaps in combination? I have a BCA bottle around; I will test it. We are witches, mad scientists and innovators. We are...
  12. Mimi

Hi, I bought it on Amazon and the best value was for the Live Cell Research brand - 250 mg caps x 30 count for $44. I am taking half a cap and am pretty happy with that. Under the tongue, grainy sweet and slightly bitter, not too bad. I'm sure you could always put it in juice. :)
  13. Mimi

Anyone Trying Niagen?

Just talked to a nurse/chiropractor/nutritionist who was retiring after 53 years. Her advice was to take all the Bs together with Niagen and make sure to take minerals - all 60 of them - in liquid form if possible. She said you need minerals to make vitamins work, although they work on their own...
  14. Mimi

Anyone Trying Niagen?

Hi Tired, Yes, be happy to. I had a single espresso on Day 3 and crashed on Days 4, 5 and 6. It wasn't a very hard crash, but I was concerned I couldn't handle Niagen. Finally, I looked up the chemistry and found that caffeic acid "acutely" activates AMPK. I also learned about the mTor pathway...
  15. Mimi

Cool that you've had that tested! And I'm glad you could get MitoQ at least for a trial. The other things I took to help me out of that crash (should you ever need them) were B complex plus extra B6 and B12. Then this morning I had spinach, asparagus, mushrooms and beets in a stir fry - all top...
  16. Mimi

Btw, I'm not taking mitoQ but rather ubiquinol (a cheaper form) PQQ (for making mitochondria) and NT Factors. It seems to be working out :)
  17. Mimi

Hi Mary, I'm also a patient of Dr. Kaufman's and I'm pleased to hear he suggested Niagen to you. Dr. Kaufman is great and Niagen is great. But if you don't mind, I'd like to suggest that you don't take any coffee or caffeinated drinks while you are on Niagen. Niagen, like ginseng, activates the...
  18. Mimi

Anyone Trying Niagen?

If you look now, there are far more reports of increased stamina. Plus lots of other things. Like less pain, better recovery, lack of soreness, greater strength. There are also reports of improved hearing and sight. And, incredibly, hair growing back and coming in dark.
  19. Mimi

Anyone Trying Niagen?

I'm on my third day on Niagen and I'm loving it. I feel stronger, have more stamina, and my vitality is back. I've gone from being housebound and lying in bed and gasping for breath to exercising and taking care of things. There have been many other changes but here are the highlights: My...
  20. Mimi

peroxynitrite more involved than realized ?

I'm in the middle of moving, but to be brief, inflammation is an immune reaction. Anytime you get a reaction you will create peroxynitrite.
  21. Mimi

Metals can be toxic, petroleum products are toxic (look for any word with "propyl" in it on the label), and hundreds of thousands of other manmade chemicals that are dumped in the environment. Also, there are toxic drugs and their metabolites, radiation, PCBs, you name it. And they all combine...
  22. Mimi

@ Violeta, from what I've read (the papers are posted a page or two back) peroxynitrite is caused by inflammation. The cause of inflammation is multifactoral, but it basically comes down to infection or intoxication (toxicity).
  23. Mimi

@ahmo Aw, that's so cute! I'm going to try that with my two kitties. Come to think of it, one of them always snuggles up to me when I'm chanting. I figured her for a bliss freak because I was calling on the buddha of bliss, but I didn't realize it might be the chanting itself. @dannybex, no...
  24. Mimi

I'm glad, too! It would be nice not to need so much BH4. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  25. Mimi

Hi Ahmo, I'm so glad you did. I just got LDN. Did you start low and slow? Were there any side effects? I had a dream a few weeks ago where I was clearly told to focus on inflammation. Inflammation seems to always result in high peroxynitrite and low BH4 with all the concomitant symptoms of low...
  26. Mimi

Me, too! Getting into Vajrayana has been the best thing for me EVER.
  27. Mimi

I believe fasting, at least short ones, also raises BH4...
  28. Mimi

I'm sorry to hear that. It's difficult not being able to afford what you need. Does high dose oral thiamine help? What if you took it with taurine and magnesium?
  29. Mimi

@dannybex, this article has some very interesting things to say about nitric oxide.