• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. K

Different ongoing symptoms

Last year (October) I got a weird and frightening reaction from NAC (took it only about 2-3 days), afterwards I crashed, got some kind of lung problem (sweetish cough), severe anxiety/agitation all the time. Felt like dying, and had mild fever that persisted for over a month, with severe GI...
  2. K

What is this horrible metallic taste??

Okay, thyroid issues are very possible since I have subclinical hypothyroidism and take T4 currently (50mcg). But I also wonder about adrenal issues because I seem to not tolerate thyroxine increases well. I took hydrocortisone long time ago for quite some time, then weaned off. Wonder if I...
  3. K

What is this horrible metallic taste??

I have this metallic taste most of the time and some foods, herbs and meds can worsen it. I have thought of metals since I had a bit cinnabar exposure from Chinese herbs. I also get this "fizzing/buzzing" neurological sensation in my head, funny vibration in tongue that extends to head and it...
  4. K

VERY strong metallic taste

I also get metallic taste in mouth a lot and been wondering what's the cause. Different foods or meds can make it worse, like last night I tried 20mg esomeprazole and now had the weird metallic sensation with vibration since that. But it's there most of the time, and some foods mask it for a...
  5. K

Lactic acid buildup?

Thank you!
  6. K

Lactic acid buildup?

How much potassium is safe to take/try generally if I don't have serious potassium deficiency? The labs have usually been pretty mid-range, around 4.1.
  7. K

Lactic acid buildup?

That's also possible, I do have circulation problems and possibly not enough blood entering the brain. Pentoxifylline makes me feel generally better for example. Don't know if it would be safe to take it long-term. POTS I have thought about, might have it to some degree. At least get orthostatic...
  8. K

Lactic acid buildup?

When I stay still and don't move for a while, I get whole body soreness and achiness, mood changes, and the need to be on constant move. It feels like lactic acid buildup, like being hit by a truck, or low-grade inflammation (my high-sensitivity CRP was not high), but I am not sure what's the...
  9. K

Chronic migraines

Yesterday the headache was triggered by eating salty food, so potassium might be worth a try. How much potassium would be safe to eat? I do eat lots of bananas.
  10. K

Chronic migraines

Yes I have head pressure very often, I took beta blockers for a couple of days and now it's worse again.
  11. K

Insomnia ideas?

It made a funny sensation in my head and then this big blood pressure elevation and heart beating 140bpm. Felt stronger for a while right after taking it with improved mood. Not sure if there were any other issues with it.
  12. K

Chronic migraines

Hello! I thought of asking if you have any advice. I have chronic headaches that get worse from walking, pounding, head pressure, circulation problems, light sensitivity etc etc. They often last all evening. I can't take ibuprofen and even paracetamol gave me flushing and is not effective. I am...
  13. K

Pseudobulbar affect, emotional lability

I also remember going deep into this pseudobulbar state after quitting Armour thyroid in the past. It could have thyroid component in my case.
  14. K

Pseudobulbar affect, emotional lability

I have had a lot of this pseudobulbar affect, my brain went into this crying mode and it didn't come out, it just lasted and lasted. I had to start vortioxetine because of this, it has helped a bit. It was some kind of brain jam, like being somatic emotion, very hard to explain. It can be other...
  15. K

Insomnia ideas?

I wanted to add that be very careful with the sarcosine. I had severe blood pressure elevations from very small dose, my BP rose up to 160/100. So I don't know if I can recommend it. It gave me euphoric feeling at first, then panicky feeling. I read it has caused BP problems for others as well.
  16. K

Insomnia ideas?

Lipac, hello! I also believe glutamate issues has to do with the brain hyperactivity. I found sarcosine to have very clear effect on my mood instantly (dimethylglycine). I am also sensitive to all MSG, mold and many other things. I'll try to keep taking taurine. Do you take the taurine 3g in...
  17. K

Strange symptoms (NAC)

Learner1, how high would you consider the 3.5 mercury level that I had (the lab values were <20="normal", but doesn't take into account that many of us are mercury toxic...)? The exposure was about 2,5 years ago. How would you treat mold issues (if the exposure was in the past), are there some...
  18. K

Strange symptoms (NAC)

Hello! The urine mercury test was not a provoked test, just a normal one. It could also be that the NAC stirred up mold since I have exposure history...
  19. K

Strange symptoms (NAC)

Today I got my urine mercury labs back, the result was 3.5 (reference range: <20 nmol/L is normal in the unexposed population and 40> means needing treatment). Right now I am also considering that my thyroid and adrenal function got stirred from the NAC due to some unknown mechanism. Maybe got...
  20. K

Strange symptoms (NAC)

I do have some of the symptoms in the list, but had them prior to this acute problem as well, but then also these new weird symptoms. Legs/feet feel cool but circulation seems okay, abdomen I don't know cos I can't see. I've had weird symptoms from/related to exertion as well throughout the...
  21. K

Strange symptoms (NAC)

Learner1, alright, thanks for the information! I'll check it. I might give curcumin a try, I have used turmeric on and off throughout these years for general health purposes. Today I have weird cool/cold sensation in lower abdomen and also legs, and mild burning (and cool sensation changing)...
  22. K

Strange symptoms (NAC)

Thank you Learner1 for your reply. If it were C. Pneumoniae, is it dangerous? Is there any test I can take? I'll check the cpnhelp. I also thought my lungs releasing some toxins because I smoked a little bit some years ago when had rough time (didn't smoke much) and could be some release of...
  23. K

Insomnia ideas?

Heapsreal and Dechi, thank you for your thoughts! Yes, maybe I should stop obsessing about chemicals, and put things into perspective. Sleep is important. Currently I am on low dose Saphris, occasional low-dose mirtazapine or trazodone, plus melatonin, I also tried antihistamines in the past...
  24. K

Strange symptoms (NAC)

I have been quite worried about this whole weird situation and strange symptoms... everything feels changed somehow, and I feel my body is different. The dizziness and ataxia are constant, and spacey panicky feeling, and weakness. Sinas, I thought about that possibility as well, since this all...
  25. K

Insomnia ideas?

Thank you for your thoughts, Mary! I have found that garlic for example causes terrible hyperactivity in my brain and if I eat it in the evening I find it hard to sleep. Don't know if it has to do with mercury toxicity as well. Maybe I could try taking valerian root and niacin daily. How much...
  26. K

Strange symptoms (NAC)

Thank you for replying!! I don't have any amalgams, but I got exposed to some cinnabar (mercuric sulfide) while having herbal treatments in Asia. So the mercury is possible, although cinnabar should be quite inert compared to other mercuric compounds, though still not good. Yes I could take...
  27. K

Insomnia ideas?

I've been dealing with very big insomnia issues for a long time, and currently take low-dose psych meds for that as a crutch, but still looking for better alternatives, since I'm not happy with chemicals. I feel that lots of the insomnia is due to nervous excitability (and probably...
  28. K

Vitamin C for sleep (seriously!) - ameliorates excitotoxicity

One of my naturopathic doctors put me on vitamin C 500mg for improving sleep. Maybe I should try the high-dose C-vitamin, now been only around 2000mg/day.
  29. K

Strange symptoms (NAC)

About three weeks ago I took two days of NAC (and some chlorella, psyllium, cilantro etc), and since that I've been crashing really bad. I have nervous attacks all day and panic, shakiness, hyperactivity etc and feel it changed something. Had really bad GI-symptoms as well, that seem to be...
  30. K

Weird syndrome

Hello Basilico! Thank you so much for your reply!! I haven't tried selegiline, inositol I tried briefly long ago as far as I remember. Probiotics I should take better ones yes. I have made my own probiotic cultures in the past as probiotic juices or yoghurt. My glucose seems to be slightly...