• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. N

Benfotiamine - a double edged sword due to sulfur sensitivity

I found that taking thiamine (allithiamine) and molybdenum enabled me to taking sulphur based supplements again and generally tolerate sulphur foods better.
  2. N

Instantaneous effect from Methylfolate/B12?

@GreenMachineX You need more folate! I thought that from reading your first post. Hold the amount of B12 and increase folate. Be prepared for the donut hole and have potassium on hand!
  3. N

Thanks @Freddd . So I need to ask you a little more about folic acid and folate, because I am a little anxious about this (but not as much as I used to be, lol). You said that the maximum convertible by 50% of people is 800-1000 mcg of folic acid. I am taking folate - is all of that convertible...
  4. N

@Freddd I have returned your protocol after a few years, and this time I have heeded your advice to 'go big' on the methylfolate. The first day I fell straight into the donut hole, which kind of confirmed that theory for me. When I hit 10mg of folate, angular chelitis and canker sores suddenly...
  5. N

Views on B12--Greg (B12 oils) view vs Rich Van's view--Thoughts?

Hello @aquariusgirl. Can you tell me what you think was a mistake - getting methylation going? I beat you to the oxalates - been there, done that. There is no doubt I have an oxalate problem, but focusing on just one aspect of a multi-faceted problem - chelation, methylation, sulphur...
  6. N

Views on B12--Greg (B12 oils) view vs Rich Van's view--Thoughts?

It seems suitable for me to chime in, as I am on the same journey here. Brief history: mercury toxicity from 13 amalgams, POTs, gallbladder / liver issues, burning mouth, hypothyroid. Amalgams removed 13 years ago, chelated on Cutler protocol but only DMSA as I never tolerated the ALA, so much...
  7. N

Unfolded Protein Response and A Possible Treatment for CFS

I am trying Tudca and choline to calm down what appears to be a very angry gallbladder following a spell on antihistamines (anticholergenics) which added further insult to an already under-methylated gallbladder. I have been taking 2 x 250mg Tudca and choline a day for about a week. Today I...
  8. N

B12 deficiency getting worse despite SMP

Hello all I have lurked for a while around here, tried Fredd's and the SMP protocol several times. Big potassium problems saw me cut doses right back to 400mcg of metafolin and 2mg of the Enzymatic B12 a day, I also take 4gms of Potassium a day, along with magnesium, carnitine, flax seed oil...
  9. N

B 12 and palpitations

I had a terrible night last night!! My low potassium symptoms kicked in big time in the evening, and basically kept me up all night with rapid heartbeat, flickering adrenals, and foot cramps. I must have taken about 6 or 7gms of potassium last night over the course of a few hours, which would...
  10. N

B 12 and palpitations

Hello all I am a lurker, trying the active B12 protocol for the third or fourth time now. Each previous time I was been blown off by low potassium symptoms, as I see now, but didn't then. This latest attempt (now 2 weeks old) has gone really well - massive boost in energy, optimism, the...
  11. N

Methylcobalamin causes tachycardia - why?

This is a very late reply, but I think I have just found out why this is. I get this too, and also have POTS. When I was taking high doses of B12 I was also having to take a LOT of potassium to stop my heart racing. B12 is a vasodilator, so it opens up the veins and arteries, which, frankly, is...
  12. N

Induced insatiable Hypokalemia and Methylfolate Insufficiency

I'm so glad I read this thread. I have been dropping by occasionally, and learned why I had such a big reaction to folate and B12 before Christmas - classic hypokalemia, which led to chest pains, foot cramps and constipation. Rectified that with 4mg daily of potassium and stopped the folate...
  13. N

B-12 - The Hidden Story

burning mouth Hi Freddd thanks for this. My red tongue has also gone, but the burning mouth continues. Good to hear your experience. I shall continue.... Nicola
  14. N

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Been a while since I've been here, but I am trying the B vits again. Brief history - CFS due to mercury amalgams. Amalgams removed 5 years ago, slowly getting better. My two worst symptoms are POTS, now largely controlled with a beta blocker, and burning mouth syndrome, thought to feature...
  15. N

B-12 - The Hidden Story

CFS vs B12 deficiency - Rich Hi Rich could you clarify in which way B12 deficiency differs from CFS? I agree with you, and think it may be why so many CFSers experience detox, which is long and difficult rather than a short-lived start-up. thanks Nicola
  16. N

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi Freddd I have been meticulous in taking the brands you recommend, so every day I take the Solgar metafolin, the Jarrow mb12 and the Country Life (?) dibencozide, as well as the co-factors - magnesium, zinc, fish oil, carnitine fumarate, B Right, vit C, A, E, calcium, potassium, B6. Tried...
  17. N

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi Rich I was wondering whether you knew if B1 (thiamin) plays any role in methylation, or whether a deficiency of it - possibly caused by a methylation block - could lead to dysautonomia? Just been doing some reading around, and wondered if it fits in with your hypothesis. I'm...
  18. N

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi Sunday I think it was Freddd who suggested that if you were having problems with start-up to aim for length of B12 intake, rather than depth, ie, taking in small doses over a longer period, rather than a big dose all at once. As I wanted to go gently, I took my doses during the course of...
  19. N

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi Sara Currently I am taking 600mg folate and between 5-7.5mg methyl B12 a day, in divided doses. The half moons started coming back almost as soon as I had my amalgams out, and have slowly been reappearing in the 3.5 years since, but theye have definitely had a spurt since starting on the...
  20. N

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi Rich Wow! - and there I was expecting to be told to take more calcium or zinc!! I really appreciate the indepth reply, and I love finding out what is really going on. It's encouraging to find it IS something to do with getting methylation going. So I'm on the right track. When you...