• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. A

Potassium supplements or food sources (e.g. banana) with B12

When you say 5 capsules, at what dose are they?
  2. A

Are Folate supplements necessary to take with B12 if Red Cell Folate levels are high?

Here is the link: http://www.pnas.org/content/95/22/13217.full.
  3. A

Are Folate supplements necessary to take with B12 if Red Cell Folate levels are high?

I remember doing a quiz recently regarding histamines and the symptoms didn't really resonate with me so I don't think this is an issue of mine, but I could be mistaken. I will go back and read the paper you linked to and do a bit more research. It may be worth noting that I do get hayfever in...
  4. A

Interesting question. chronic rhinosinusitis - not chronic no, but the only time i really seem to get sick is when my sinuses are infected headaches - occasionally, but I can usually explain why (e.g. dehydration). usually very mild, only rarely do I get migraines tachycardia - i'm not sure...
  5. A

Which brand/dose is most appropriate? Is this a good one to have on hand in case it is required? http://www.iherb.com/Country-Life-Potassium-99-mg-250-Tablets/17235
  6. A

Thanks. I am still really confused after reading lots of threads on this forum. Are the issues with methylation process something that is specific to me/cfs or does this apply to everyone with B12 deficiencies?
  7. A

I read somewhere that the risk of potassium depletion is only if the person is severely low on B12 and has been for some time. My B12 is currently 370 pg/mL (273 pmol/L, normal > 180 pmol/L) so hopefully my risk is low, but I will take your advice and have some on hand in case it is needed...
  8. A

Thanks Brenda. Would you recommend starting potassium supplements a few days before commencing b12, at the same time or only in case symptoms of potassium deficiency arise?
  9. A

Thank you Hixxy. Is this one too low dose? http://www.iherb.com/MegaFood-DailyF...0-Tablets/3992 How about this one? http://www.iherb.com/MegaFood-DailyFoods-Un-Stress-90-Tablets/4080 - it looks like a better option than the first, however I am nervous about taking all those herbs. Like you...
  10. A

Is it really necessary to take a b complex in addition to B12? I have quite low blood pressure and am nervous about taking B3 niacin/niacinamide. If I just take the B12, fish oil (with A & D), magnesium, methylfolate and have some potassium on hand if needed, wouldn't this be enough? I have a...
  11. A

That's interesting. I haven't read much about transdermal supplements so I can't offer any advice on that. I did find another b complexthat looks quite good with some of the superior bioavailable forms in it:http://www.wellnessresources.com/products/super_b_complex.php. A drawback though is...
  12. A

Adreno, do you think it is necessary to take B supplements that are much higher than the RDI? I understand with B12 that it is needed in high doses due to the problems with absorption that many people experience, but surely the other B requirements can be met by diet? Am I mistaken? Perhaps...
  13. A

Adreno, have you considered the Swanson product http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU533/ItemDetail ? This contains bioactive forms of all the b vitamins it contains. If you live in Europe, I think you can have it shipped from the UK (but I'm not 100% certain).
  14. A

Adreno, that b complex product looks really good! I haven't seen that one before. The main thing stands out for me though is that the b3 is quite high. Also, I wonder what percentage of the b6 is actually Pyridoxal 5' Phosphate because it doesn't state that (and it is the more expensive of the...
  15. A

I am so grateful for your help!! 1. great minds! 2. this is the answer I was looking for (and what I suspected) 3. thanks for the link. 4. that's good to know, i won't take a break from folate when I start b12.
  16. A

Thanks Hixxy. That's what I thought. I read that Fredd recommended having potassium supplements on hand so I just want to check first that having bananas on hand instead is going to be acceptable and I won't be putting myself at risk.
  17. A

Thanks. You have been really helpful. My outstanding questions at this stage are: 1) I have seen a type called "quatrefolic" that contains MTHF 400 mcg (as 800 mcg S-MTHF acid, glucosamine salt (vegetarian source)). How does this type of folate compare with metafolin branded folate? 2) Should...
  18. A

I have read the recommendations to take potassium supplements when starting B12 treatment to prevent potassium deficiency during the healing process. Is it really necessary to take a supplement or will food be sufficient (e.g. bananas contain at least 450 mg each - if I eat 2 per day, will...
  19. A

Thanks for your advice. To give you an idea of my thinking process, I was considering taking those tests as they may be helpful to a) confirm if I have a b12 deficiency b) give me a baseline to measure progress other than B12 serum, which can be unreliable and c) determine whether there is an...
  20. A

I think I understand the concept of folate trap now. If this is what I have, then does it make sense to start taking B12 for a while before taking metafolin so that my existing stores of MTHF that are currently trapped can be released before I start adding more to the storage?
  21. A

Thank you Hixxy. Yes, I think I will probably stop taking my current whole-food multivitamin that contains folate and start taking methylfolate instead. I saw a comment from Fredd that the whole-food vitamin folate was not able to be absorbed by him and it makes me wonder about what form it...
  22. A

My recent blood test results showed: B12 = 370 pg/mL (273 pmol/L, normal > 180 pmol/L). Folate (red cell) 806 ng/ml (1826 nmol/L , normal > 450). I am planning to start taking B12 supplements, but am concerned about my high folate levels and am considering stopping my current folate...