• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. R

NIH/FDA XMRV Paper by Dr. Alter Out!

Is it possible that XMRV is associated with outbreak CFS cases and the Lo/Alter viruses with spontaneous cases? My understanding of the 2 papers is very partial but it is as follows. I think samples from only 3 people were fully sequenced in the Science paper. The PCR test seems not to be...
  2. R

Possibly Great Grant Source: The Gates Fdn Neglected Diseases

I just read in a newspaper that the Bill Gates Foundation supports the fight against HIV with 23000 million euros. It definitely seems like an interesting source of funding.
  3. R

Video clip of Q&A at Peterson/de Meirleir presentation 26 May

I don't think he specified. His reference to sporadic and epidemic cases was during the Q&A session, in relation to whether there is increased risk of having CFS for spouses or children of CFS patients
  4. R

I don't rembember him mentioning any publication in relation to the subsequent analysis to the Science paper. As for the 5 sites, it may well be different locations in the US
  5. R

Sorry, I meant HIV patients. I will edit my original post accordingly
  6. R

I write here some of the notes I took during the conference in Madrid. I am sure there will be inaccuracies they are but I hope they are more useful than misinformative. Some of this may overlap with what has already been posted. Dr. Peterson Since the Science paper there has been replication...
  7. R

Gulf War Illness Research

Regarding central sensitization I liked this review on the biological basis of fibromyalgia: Pathophysiological mechanisms in chronic musculoskeletal pain (fibromyalgia): the role of central and peripheral sensitization and pain disinhibition. Nielsen LA, Henriksson KG. Best Pract Res Clin...
  8. R

MAYO CLINIC ON XMRV: March 04th Talk in Sacramento

Thank you, Doogle! Is this further evidence, then, that XMRV is present in a few percent of healthy controls? It seems to me to fit in better with the Science paper and the Japanese study than with the UK and Dutch papers, but maybe I a missing something since people are not commenting on...
  9. R

Hi Lisa, Sorry, I realize I posted the link to the beginning of the text only. This link should take you to the full pdf file. http://www.rsds.org/2/library/article_archive/pop/Fields_ScientificAmerican.pdf If it doesn't work please let me know. The box: Substance * Mechanism *...
  10. R

glia, new culprits in chronic pain I found this article http://www.rsds.org/2/library/article_archive/pop/Fields_ScientificAmerican.pdf published in Scientific American really interesting. There is even a box on the last page with a list of drugs that are being investigated. Scientific...
  11. R

(Upcoming Spanish research) "Wanted the molecular basis of FMS and CFS"

This news item seems to be from 2008 so maybe there will be some results soon. There is a link to a previous paper on the Foundation's website (The website is in Spanish)
  12. R

Defensins associated with slower HIV progression

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0009436 [From the abstract] Conclusions/Significance High production of α-defensins1-3 by immature DCs appears as a host protective factor against progression of HIV-1infection, suggesting potential diagnostic...
  13. R

XMRV CFS UK study #II

Kurt, if by additive risk you mean that you can calculate the total detection rate by multiplying the detection rate of a single pass times the number of passes I think that is not the case regardless of the nature of false negatives. If it was, you would get total detection rates above 100% in...
  14. R

XMRV CFS UK study #II

I completely agree with the importance of treating patient and control samples equally and with the advantages of blinded testing. In general this factor would be less than 16 given that samples from the same person would test positive more than once and that such repeated tests would not be...
  15. R

Support the xmrv pilot project in spain

A translation follows: Primary objectives 1-To confirm the described association between XMRV and CFS 2-To establish a relationship between XMRV infection and the immune dysfunctions described in these patients Secondary objectives 3-To develop isolation techniques of XMRV primary viral...