• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. L

Osteocalcin, CFS connection? Interesting artice.

"Does the key to anti-ageing lie in our bones?" https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jul/04/does-the-key-to-anti-ageing-lie-in-our-bones? “Osteocalcin acts in muscle to increase the ability to produce ATP, the fuel that allows us to exercise,” says Karsenty. “In the brain, it regulates the...
  2. L

SOS – Need Help Could Get Sectioned (Mental Health Act)

Great though the groups people are mentioning are... do any of them actually offer practical support in this sort of situation? In my area it's possible to self refer for social care help. You then get a visit to asses your needs.
  3. L

SOS – Need Help Could Get Sectioned (Mental Health Act)

Sorry to hear of your troubles PhoenixDown. Is there one of the CFS clinics anywhere near you? I know they're basically crap it but could help get you support based on a ME/CFS diagnosis rather than mental health. Also, is there an advocates service in your area? It sounds like you need someone...
  4. L

Problems with meditation

@ Zoe There's some interesting things here with words, audio and explanations: http://arobuddhism.org/articles/yogic-song.html I'll see what else I can turn up @ Recovery Soon - Great post!
  5. L

Problems with meditation

Are you looking for something from any particular tradition zoe? Loving your art by the way. I find ink painting is one of my most meditatively absorbing activities. I often paint after I chant. And some times chant to what I paint.
  6. L

Problems with meditation

Hi Lucinda, I don't know whether it would be appropriate to the type of Buddhism you practice but I wonder whether chanting may be an alternative for you as it would provide a more active focus and could potentially mask the intefering noise to some extent. I was living in an ashram when I...
  7. L

Do any UK doctors help with excitotoxicity (the 'wired but tired' feeling)?

Sounds like a good plan. Do you know of this site?; http://www.thevegepaformescheme.com/ Cheapest way to get vegepa I know of. If you have any questions about the Perrin technique once you've seen the book or want advice on doing the things he recommends drop me a pm.
  8. L

Is Dr Myhill taking new patients again? She wasn't when I tried to see her and it was her practice that recommended Dr Hembry as she spent some time working with Dr Myhill. I went for my initial appointment with Dr Hembry in person but have done my follow ups by phone. Have you looked at the...
  9. L

I had Vit B by IV to start with (horribly, horribly expensive though as a nurse had to come to my house, wouldn't recommend that) then self injected with B12, but the most effective thing has been daily solgar '100' b complex, seems to really take the edge off. Interesting that there's research...
  10. L

Hi Lucinda, I've seen Dr Nicola Hembry in the past. She works along similar lines to Sarah Myhill. I too suffered terribly from the tired but wired syndrome, still do to some extent but no where near as badly as before. I think some of her nutritional interventions helped allot, highish does...
  11. L

Acetyl L-Carnitine for OI & brain fog

My doc told me Acetyl L-Carnitine can be 'better' as it crosses the blood brain barrier.
  12. L

Adrenal burnout and treatment problems

Hi Spitfire, sorry to hear things are so complex for you at the moment. I thought I'd copy over my post from the air hunger/shortness of breath thread in the symptoms section on the off chance it could be of any help for your breathing issues. A very simple technique I've found useful...
  13. L

Comment by 'Luke' in 'I'd rather talk to my cat then go to a therapist.'

I used to be horribly allergic to them too before I got sick, now not a thing. I'd love to be able to have a dog too, I had a great period where I borrowed my neighbours during the day, no walking or bills and the dog didn't have to get lonely either. But luckily plants are good company...
  14. L

Diesel, that's awful! I lost my 'therapist' last summer, things just haven't been the same since.
  15. L

DLA -denied.

When I had to appeal Action for ME (spits) were doing an info/advice sheet about doing so with some usefull info in, you have to contact them to get hold of it as they don't advertise it on their site, I think it costs a quid or two for non memebers. I think ME Association do one too, memory...
  16. L

Kind of a miracle

I love the miracles... I love the science... computer says eek... goes off to watch Snog Marry Avoid. Enjoy that remission Rachel! (not that I should imagine you need telling)
  17. L

Perrin Technique on DVD

Well done Tom, I'm just not up to it.
  18. L

Marijuana can reduce pain and spasms - UCal Feb 2010

My pleasure mate. "We will work together to ensure you are provided the right amount, the right strain at a price that reflects your personal situation, AND we'll deliver your high quality product to your front door." Now that sounds like a good service!
  19. L

"If you're on a budget, if you can't fill your prescription, if you are dealing with uncompassionate pricing or feel you're being taken advantage of please contact us to help improve your situation. If you have an MMAR number, Apply Now and fill out our form so we can get started" The above...
  20. L

This info seemed a bit more hopeful than that. It seems to sugget you could grow as much as you can get a prescription for ( not suggesting you haven't looked into it yourself though).
  21. L

Can you not get a cat Spitfire?
  22. L

Is it not a possibility for you to grow your awn legally in Canada?
  23. L

Perrin Technique on DVD

Aha, I misunderstood you then, I thought you couldn't find the exercises, good luck with it all.
  24. L

Perrin Technique on DVD

Hmmm.. I'm not sure, I think the back one is much bigger than neccesary and the technique focusses on the thoracic spine rather than the neck. Also as the sequence is 3mins cold, 1min hot, 1min cold, 1min hot, 1min cold, 3mins hot, you need to be able to change over quickly so the harness would...
  25. L

Perrin Technique on DVD

I'm doing the technique with an osteopath who I've seen once a week for twelve weeks and am about to drop down to once a fortnight for the next twentyfour weeks. I also do the various exercises and hot and cold thoracic spine compresses three times a day. It's definately having a strong...
  26. L

Perrin Technique on DVD

As far as I'm aware the instructions for the self administerred part of the technique can only be found in the book.
  27. L

air hunger/shortness of breath

A very simple technique I've found useful for these kind of symptoms is to touch the tip of your thumb to the tip of your ring finger ( can be done with just one or both hands), or to wrap the fingers of of one hand around the ring finger of your other hand. These techniques always calm and...
  28. L

How long to try gluten-free diet?

Have you tried this stuff? Definately the best I've come across, bit pricey though.
  29. L

London/UK doctors

Hey miss editor, thought I should say that the costs with DR Hembry can rack up pretty fast too, especially the tests. She also works with mitochodrial issues so it may be that it'd duplicate too much of what you've already done, but maybe not... Have you got into the far infrared sauna...
  30. L

Changes to ME agenda site

I wasn't being too serious, just using it as a expression for my appreciation of your work.