• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. F

Cannot Sleep Without Raw Beef: But Why?

How much taurine did you try? Based on what you wrote, I can't tell if that is a critical issue or not. My experience with taurine is that I simply cannot make enough with any amount of nutritional precursors, and that is indicative of some form of liver dysfunction. For example, I couldn't...
  2. F

Cannot Sleep Without Raw Beef: But Why?

One thing that's easy to check is taurine, since the pure powder is easily purchased. It is destroyed by cooking and it's synthesis is sometimes impaired in the chronically ill. Many people find it relaxing, even those who are relatively healthy. Other anxiolytic amino acids such as glycine...
  3. F

vitamin D and sleep

Try increasing magnesium, D3 needs magnesium (among other nutrients) to work, and it might be putting you into a deficiency state. Magnesium (and calcium) deficiency affect sleep.
  4. F

Is Folate inhibiting Thiamine (B-1) ?

I have found that SAM-e throughput (by taking methionine), not necessarily folic acid cycle activity, causes hypochlorhydria symptoms that are alleviated by taking benfotiamine, and the dose needed is proportional to the amount of SAM-e throughput. For whatever reason, I find that methylfolate...
  5. F

Pro Health article on B1 (thiamine)

I recently had the same problem with benfotiamine, and resolved it by taking calcium. I was already taking lots of magnesium, but a deficiency in either one can cause the same tense muscles.
  6. F

Sublingual B-right?

No, they generally absorb a lot better sublingually. The fillers do interfere with sublingual absorption a surprisingly large degree (my experience with mb12 and quatrefolic, with trials comparing cellulose to tiny amounts of glycine or magnesium lactate as filler).
  7. F

A B2 story

I would have started with a lower dose and not thought about any "high" or "target" dose, because you say you are mercury toxic (which causes all sorts of idiosyncratic problems) and therefore you just may not feel good with it at any dose. My wife and I (both of us are mercury toxic) started...
  8. F

A B2 story

The dangers of manganese supplementation are over-emphasized. There are very few actual cases of toxicity from oral supplementation, and almost all the human toxicity data are derived from cases where people were exposed from breathing it. What is less often mentioned is that the body doesn't...
  9. F

methyl b12 without fructose?

i've been using doctor's best mb12 for a few weeks now, it has cellulose as a filler and nothing else. Because my wife has issues with cellulose, I ordered some pure mb12 powder today. We'll see how it goes when it arrives.
  10. F

Methylation protocol big problems, advice please!

I'm happy to speculate, as will others, but at the end of the day, you're going to have to try the components separately and see what the problem actually is for you. For example, since you have the methylfolate and mb12 as separate supplements, try taking extra of each on different days.
  11. F

Methylation protocol big problems, advice please!

I have the same symptom from too much methylfolate, plus an increase in histamine problems. I think for any given level of mb12 and other supplements, there is a corresponding sweet spot for methylfolate dose.
  12. F

Neck tightness and pain on Methylation treatment

Sometimes an imbalance of methylfolate and mb12 causes my sphenoid sinus to flare up, and the main symptom is neck pain and tightness as the actual sinus hurts only if its really bad. E.g. too much methylfolate, not enough mb12. The easiest way for me to tell is by putting my face over hot...
  13. F

How much molybdenum are people taking?

I was taking 3000mcg for a few months, took a few months to get there from <10mcg/meal. I started to reduce it recently because I think I am starting to show copper deficiency symptoms. Molybdenum and manganese frequently caused me to feel iron anemia symptoms (depressed immune system...
  14. F

Couple of questions

I mispoke in implying that Cutler is saying that those with thiol intolerance have a mercury issue, rather it's just a common symptom in those who are toxic. Unfortunately, the only definitive method of determining heavy metal toxicity (when it is not already apparent by some other method) is...
  15. F

Couple of questions

Andy Cutler has written for a long time that high cysteine (resulting in thiol intolerance, whether food or supplements) is a side-effect of mercury toxicity. His records are that 1/3 of heavy metal toxic individuals are intolerant of thiols, 1/3 feel better with more, the rest are in the...
  16. F

ME/CFS is a mast cell disorder (hypothesis)

I have the same issue with low stomach acid and high histamine. If something increases stomach acid suddenly, I will have various reflux pains, but the stomach lining seems to get used to it over a few days, unless something crazy happens (e.g. magnesium malate would slowly trigger gastritis...
  17. F

ME/CFS is a mast cell disorder (hypothesis)

histamine increases stomach acid
  18. F

How to lower norepinephrine

dopamine beta hydroxylase is a copper containing enzyme so high copper would make things worse st john's wort may reduce DBH activity
  19. F

methylation, hypohomocysteine and muscle wasting?

The blood sugar problems started with taking molybdenum, but its true that I had less than ideal blood sugar control prior to this. I seem to be very copper toxic as I could not tolerate much molybdenum originally (9mcg/meal was my maximum for a while). I will look into the rhodiola. the fact...
  20. F

Can you feel methylfolate wearing off?

an update: I no longer have this symptom as of a few days ago. Unfortunately my thigh aching has returned, which is usually P5P or folate deficiency, and P5P isn't helping this time so it looks like I'll try more methylfolate and see what happens.
  21. F

Methylfolate Side Effects ?

Also with reduced quantity of sleep, there might be reduced quality also (restorative stages) and less growth hormone release.
  22. F

Methylfolate Side Effects ?

There's a bunch of reports of resveratrol slowing the healing of soft tissue injuries.
  23. F

Not to be provocative but what's so special about 800mcg? I saw an old post about deplin on drbobs forums, and someone mentioned feeling a lot better with it taken in quarters rather than all at once, as it wore off after a few hours. But the symptoms were more to do with depression.
  24. F

Thats interesting about carnitine.. lysine is actually a precursor to that. I will give it a try. Ribose gives me low blood sugar unfortunately, something that came with starting molybdenum for high copper. This nasty hypoglycemia happens with specific supplements (ribose, TMG, manganese, P5P...
  25. F

Will methylation chelate copper?

Hair tests after supplementing aren't too useful in my experience, but without supplements to skew results, they do show if mineral transport is deranged which is a signature of mercury toxicity. RBC mineral tests are more useful for mineral status. If you are sick and have mineral balance...
  26. F

I notice that when I take methylfolate (400mcg quatrefolic) at breakfast, I feel icky (hard to describe) exactly the same time every night, 12 hours after breakfast, unless I take another methylfolate at dinner. It seems like a weird trap where I'm forced to take a higher dose of methylfolate...
  27. F

An update: I've found that lysine (1/4 tsp per meal) alleviates almost all the muscle wasting problems. I have also been taking a little threonine at night (1/4 tsp) but it makes me tired the next day. It did help with averting a sinusitis flare-up though. I didn't feel good taking methionine so...
  28. F

It took me months of building up manganese, molybdenum, choline+inositol and TMG but I can finally tolerate methylfolate with tolerable side effects. Every time I tried taking it before, I got very tense shoulder muscles and too much inflammation from it, and had to stop after a couple days. The...
  29. F

23andme test results

You could try spring water, and see if it helps with the heartburn. A real test would mean eliminating all sources of tap water including anything in your food. A fresh brita or comparable charcoal based water filter will make a big difference in the amount of chloramine in the water. One...
  30. F

23andme test results

i developed a sensitivity to chloramine in tap water when i got sick, and it would give me really nasty heartburn, then burning in the guts. to get rid of it, i use charcoal filters rated to remove chloramine (not regular activated charcoal filters, pentek chlorplus and catalytic activated...