• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Foggy

Rotation diet with limited foods

My food allergies got so bad that I ended up having IgG Food Allergy Test (96 foods) - the results were very interesting. My allergies are slowly resolving now that I've eliminated some and rotated on others. High histamine releasing foods can also be a bugger to a tricky stomach even if you...
  2. Foggy

Bloating - I look pregnant

Amitrip made me look 12months pregnant! In the end I had to come off it and found that all of my oedema went after a couple of months. It's the downside, I guess, of it being a member of the anti-depressant family. Like every other ME sufferer, I also have a leaky gut and have developed further...
  3. Foggy

Soya milk tastes rank!

Soy milk & all soy products gives me the runs! :eek: Its not widely known but some people who are allergic to bovine/cow's milk (protein) can also be allergic to soy protein. I'm allergic to both, so it does wonders for my whizz-poppers! Rice milk is a bit yuck too.
  4. Foggy

Your typical heart rate (pulse)

My resting PR flies (tachycardia) especially when I'm "rested". I had to have 24hr ECG & BP monitoring a few months ago and it turned out my average BP was in the "low normal" range. The tachycardia is just a response in the drop in BP, which happens all the time - I have orthostatic intolerance...
  5. Foggy

Proton pump inhibitors for Gastritis

Coming off PPI's suddenly can cause rebound hypersecretion of the stomach glands in most people, so its best to wean off them over several weeks (bit like if you are on anti-depressants etc). These drugs are incredibly strong and are good for severe heartburn/reflux, oesophagitis, gastritis...
  6. Foggy

CFS and Lyme... How many Lyme cases being missed in testing?

I used to work in a serology lab years and did lots of Lyme testing (IgG/IgM combo) - any positives/equivocals were then sent off for immunoblot confirmation, but only if the sample was syphillis (treponema pallidum) negative. From memory, syphillis and Lyme's somehow cross-react (don't ask me...
  7. Foggy

No serological evidence for a role of HHV-6 infection in chronic fatigue syndrome ?!

Do you have high IgG titres (past infection) or high IgM titres (current infection)? Sounds like your dr doesn't know his Ig's. ;)
  8. Foggy

Fecal Transplant study: 58-70% response rate

I saw this turd therapy on 'Catalyst' a couple of years ago - think it was to treat C.difficile. If it works for IBS etc and you can get over the ewwwwww factor, then why not.
  9. Foggy

ADHD drugs reduce ME/CFS cognitive dysfunction

I was on mild dose Ritalin a few years ago, and there was a moderate (but not fantastic) increase in concentration levels. At the time I was working part-time & my ME was manageable (unlike now) but I couldn't say for sure if it was actually a placebo affect. To be honest, I'm glad I'm off the...
  10. Foggy

For all the ladies...

My fatigue is far worse about 2 or 3 days before my period along with even more painful leg muscles, knees and ankles. Then it eases up as Aunty Flo slowly stops flowing.
  11. Foggy

Josie eyes Hawaiian treatment in bid for better life

I've not noticed a paradigm shift in Australia, just informed journalists and the occasional Dr (about 1 in 10 million on the medical front!).
  12. Foggy

One more diagnosis: lactose intolerance

Most adults develop lactose intolerance at some stage in their lives because they don't need milk like babies do. You slowly stop making the enzyme that splits lactose into the 2 simple sugars needed by the body etc. Bacteria in the gut just love the taste of lactose which makes you fart...
  13. Foggy

Who has developed a bloodhound sense of smell since getting CFS?

I have both the smell and acute hearing of a dog. I'm worried that if someone blows a dog whistle I'll run to them on all fours with a big stick in my mouth :D
  14. Foggy

GA Drugs

Bugger, indeed.
  15. Foggy

Proton pump inhibitors for Gastritis

PPI's cause farting too. If you have h.pylori you will probably be on Nexium along with antibiotics. Seems like PPI's are being prescribed for every tummy issue under the sun, instead of being used solely to treat heartburn. Gastric polyps are also a side-effect from them too, something...
  16. Foggy

GA Drugs

I had abdominal surgery 2 weeks ago, and as usual got pumped with a bucket load of IV drugs. My 'brain fog' symptoms seemed to have almost disappeared (well for now at the mo), which I can only think is the result of IV Ketamine. I'm puzzled to say the least, but I really, really, really hope...
  17. Foggy

Feeling of 'brain moving' in head

My brain feels as tho its spinning within the skull too, altho I don't have vertigo or any other inner ear problem, its like something out of a warner bro's cartoon. Makes me quite nauseas.
  18. Foggy

Is CMV IgG antibody supposed to be lifelong positive?

Soz, I didn't read your response in my last post. Not all English people are CMVG negative, there are just pockets in the population who seem not to acquire the virus for reasons unknown. Its the things you learn when you work in a diagnostic lab. I found this out when I tested my CMV levels.
  19. Foggy

Negative and non-reactive means the same thing. It depends on the manufacturer of the diagnostic kit. Abbott Diagnostics use reactive, non-reactive or grey zone along with a numeric value for tests plonked on an Axsym or Architect analyser. Biomerieux use negative, positive and equivocal for...
  20. Foggy

If you've had CMV in the past (common childhood illness), your IgG will remain positive throughout life. A positive IgM result means you have an active infection. CMV Avidity tests for newly infected. However, those of English decent generally don't get CMV, regardless if they live in another...
  21. Foggy

is this muscle weakness really CFS or is it something else?

Hello :) I have a lot of muscle weakness and atrophy like most ME sufferers. Its hard to use muscles when you're in constant pain, of course if you overdo it, you 'crash'. Earlier on in my relapse my emotions, movements etc seemed "detached" from my body. It was like someone had cut all the...
  22. Foggy

The Joy of Laziness ;)

I've always said that exercise is bad for your health. :D
  23. Foggy

University Of Western Australia - CFS physical activity trial

I received this yesterday from the local ME society..... Chronic Fatigue Syndrome volunteers wanted. Do you want to understand why you feel so sore and fatigued after even light physical activity? The University of Western Australia is conducting research into this area, examining a...
  24. Foggy

Vinegar for low stomach acid

Sparrow, Oesophageal pH testing involves coming off PPI's for about 5 days and only taking mylanta/gaviscon for heartburn etc (I stopped taking PPI about 36hr before, and it worked fine), then fasting for about 6hrs. Then a rather rigid wire is inserted through the nose, down the back of the...
  25. Foggy

How Long Pathogens Live on Surfaces

I used to do research on human muscle tissue. I know how resilient bacteria, fungi etc are when it came to autoclave my equipment, however, prions are the worst. Instead of autoclaving at 121C, I had to go to 136C to kill the prions. Depends on how you wash hands to remove bugs etc. I find...
  26. Foggy

Okee kokee.
  27. Foggy

Has anyone gotten CFS after a physical trauma (major car accident, burn, etc) ?

I voted trauma - I had a work injury that resulted in a lot of physio, MRI scans, ultrasounds and other "therapy". The fact that my workplace was incredibly mouldy and dusty (like an over sized petri dish), I think it stressed out my immune system way too much. After a bout of flu and gastro...
  28. Foggy

I have a sliding hiatus hernia and acid reflux and its terrible! And taking vinegar is sheer hell. Having surgery next month to get it fixed and hopefully come off my very powerful PPI's. Count yourself lucky that you have low acid levels. PS. If you're worried and your dr recommends you...
  29. Foggy

Ignorance & Anarchy in the Laboratory

I used to work with scientists and found they live in their own little world. Those who have real life experiences are usually sneared at and turfed out. I just ignore them.
  30. Foggy

New Biomarker for IBS

Cool! I have to put my toilet rolls in the freezer when my IBS plays up!