• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. cogent_thought

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Yes, you're totally correct. I've been reading to understand further and it seems like the difference is NAG is one of the components of the polysacharide
  2. cogent_thought

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

@Hip are you still taking the NAG/chitosan? I recently took it as a prebiotic gut experiment and noticed pretty phenomenal mental benefits so much that I felt pretty much 100% normal. I started to take it more frequently and would like to make it regular, however it seems like it might have a...
  3. cogent_thought

Joshua Leisk Protocol

I completed 2 days of fasting but ended early with too much GI distress :redface:. I'm going to try most of the supplement regimen and see how my body reacts. I anticipate feeling something because it's a lot of supplements! Most of which I've taken before at some point. GI distress aside, the...
  4. cogent_thought

ME/CFS Research: Herpes Autoimmune Spectrum Disorder

Another male-centric post. Regarding beta-glucans, immunity and androgens etc; We can see here that Trametes Veriscolor has no effect on androgen receptors (page 8) Trametes versicolor(Synn.Coriolus versicolor)Polysaccharides in Cancer Therapy: Targets and Efficacy I can't see any references...
  5. cogent_thought

I have heard theories previously that androgens are why men experience colds/flus more intensely than women aka man flu.
  6. cogent_thought

I want to thank @joshua.leisk for putting so much time and effort into this project with no specific career goals to attain. (Although the glory is nice! :)). This thread has encouraged me to eventually retry some supplements I had put off. Having a systems engineering background definitely...
  7. cogent_thought

Hi there @joshua.leisk , I'm interested in starting this protocol myself. I experienced herpes, HPV and EBV infections which triggered lasting fatigue symptoms. I don't believe I was particularly promiscuous! :oops: I keep myself upright on a battery of supplements/probiotics etc. but...
  8. cogent_thought

Do I really have CFS Diagnosis? Where do I go from here?

Hi All, My understanding according to the CDC, PEM is a core diagnostic criteria feature of ME/CFS. I do not have PEM. Although extreme intense exercise will tire me out and has since my onset, I can still hike/lift some light weights etc. most days however I've been losing weight since...
  9. cogent_thought

all type of probiotics worse GI symptoms

I highly recommend waiting for your results before trying more probiotics as it's pretty clear you're not reacting well to bifido/lacto probiotics. After viewing your analysis, you may be better suited for; soil based organism probiotics yeast based probiotics e coli probiotics- to be imported...
  10. cogent_thought

GI pain

@Jimbo39 How deep do you want to dive? Probably your gut flora and levels of intestinal permeability are not meeting your needs. Suggest getting tested through Thryve and analysing the results with microbiomeprescription.com It's not user-friendly but this as an emerging area of science.
  11. cogent_thought

all type of probiotics worse GI symptoms

@arctos Get your microbiome tested. From there you will start to find clues. microbiomeprescription.com / cfsremission.com are great resources.
  12. cogent_thought

Anybody tried kefir?

@godlovesatrier I am to continue drinking kefir as part of gut modulation to attempt to grow space for a more helpful gut environment. Make it home made with raw milk and I believe it's many times more effective and broad spectrum than pasteurized store bought. Also, you can't create kefir...
  13. cogent_thought

High-Dose Selenium Significantly Improves My Fatigue and Brain Fog

The effect of selenium on the central dopaminergic system: a microdialysis study https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9307047/ It was concluded from the present study that Se's central action might be related to its ability to potentiate DA function. Seems like this might be part of the...
  14. cogent_thought

Elemental diet for SIBO

Good luck, I decided against it for myself as I was unsure it would resolve long standing dysbiosis but other people report great success.
  15. cogent_thought

ME/CFS for 18 years, recently diagnosed with D-Lactic acidosis as cause of symptoms and illness.

@Jwarrior77 overall it seems there is a strong overlap between SIBO/IBS and just general large intestine dysbiosis. I didn't make the gut connection until the IBS symptoms became muuch stronger and then I still thought it was just SIBO, not realising this may have been the root cause of long...
  16. cogent_thought

Is it possible to have loose, but otherwise "normal" bm-s with SIBO?

SIBO seems to be quite poorly defined. For most people with a medical diagnosis, it's concurrent with IBS. You could also have "SIBO" / intestinal dysbyosis without IBS, ie not the optimal gut microbes in residence of your small intestine. I assume that this is quite common and more a matter of...
  17. cogent_thought

Continual Brain Fog post Probiotics

TLDR; D-Lactate bacterial metabolite production marked as high in 16s gut microbiome analyisis So I got my Thryve results after almost a month of waiting. Uploaded to biomesight and microbiomeprescription.com. Lots of data, lots of information. I work in data and I find it somewhat...
  18. cogent_thought

ME/CFS for 18 years, recently diagnosed with D-Lactic acidosis as cause of symptoms and illness.

Yes, when investigating hormonal issues with an endo diabetes was a main suspect as it runs in the family. I had a meter and did several pricks of my finger during daily crashes. My blood sugar was always within range, ruling out that as a cause of the fatigue. It could make sense depending on...
  19. cogent_thought

@Avenger have you ever had a GI map, ubiome or the uk available equivalent?
  20. cogent_thought

You are completely correct. The trick is to somehow usher in beneficial populations having subdued the less helpful ones. At the moment I'm attempting to add as many vegetables (starting lower fodmap) to encourage some beneficial colonisation. I also desire to add in a digestive enzyme which...
  21. cogent_thought

I think it's very difficult to kill off a bacteria or miccroorganism via lack of feeding. The work of Dr Valter Longo suggests that even humans benefit from some periods of fasting and for bacteria it may be their natural state. I am considering doing elemental diet into an anti-biotic /...
  22. cogent_thought

I'm in an almost identical boat here. I'm attempting to get the d-lactate test, even though going through it will be a repeat of the past decade of ptsd. I'm also currently having my microbiome sequenced via thryve and hopefully that can provide some insight. @Jwarrior77 personally I would like...
  23. cogent_thought

SIBO - How to clear small intestine/fix motility?

Just to contribute here, I tested positive for SIBO with elevated Methane & hydrogen at baseline. A course of rifaxamin & metronidazole did not make a lasting impact, however my brain fog cleared whilst on the treatment (metronidazole espescially). Felt some mental side effects which I bounced...
  24. cogent_thought

Post-Methylation Protocol Reactions

I have found that what I have been thinking of as "overmethylation" has actually been a spontaneous rise in serum b12 levels since I stopped supplementing 2 months ago to continue to increase out of range. The last dose of b12 was in hydroxycobalamin form which I only took twice. My MCV is also...
  25. cogent_thought

So I have been doing a lot more research to understand what I think is happening. I've realised that I've become incredibly sensitive to any kind of carbohydrates or caffeine. They seem to provoke an anxiety response. Alcohol eases this tension and drinking chamomile tea does too ( a little...
  26. cogent_thought

@Learner1 Sage advice. Unfortunately I don't have access to this testing at the moment so I'm still somewhat playing whack-a-mole. Hopefully I don't give myself more problems if I try 1 or a few smaller doses of B1.
  27. cogent_thought

Thanks for this @Eastman super interesting. I previously read this thread and wish I had paid more attention whilst doing the protocol. At least now I am fairly stable but still having some side effects, I've been off the b12 for about 3 weeks now. I'm sure that the high doses of b12 offset a...
  28. cogent_thought

Hi @Hufsamor is it possible to send me this doctors details in a PM? Thank you!