• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. E

What success have others had treating COMT++ and MAO++ issues ?

Has anyone been able to supplement mb12 and methylfolate successfully with COMT++ and MAO++ issues? How have you overcome the methylation issues?
  2. E

Who has experienced an *adverse* reaction to Molybdenum?

I am researching molybdenum & wondering how others have reacted to introducing this supplement. Has anyone had an adverse reaction to this supplement?
  3. E

Methylcobalamin causes tachycardia - why?

adreno - Any update on your POTS? Do you still require potassium support?
  4. E

Looking for a good multivitamin (with active folate & b12 forms & no folic acid or iron)

Is Pure Encapsulations OTC, or must buy through a health provider? What do you like most about each of these brands?
  5. E

Looking for a good multivitamin (with active folate & b12 forms & no folic acid or iron)

I'm looking for recommendations for a multi which has no iron, and ideally minimal binders, etc. Ideally, no yeast or yeast products, and no or low vitamin 'E' (due to fact that this raises blood pressure in patients like myself). I'm also looking for a good multi mineral product with...
  6. E

Methylfolate Side Effects ?

What specific supplement and dosages are you using?
  7. E

What are your COMT results & symptoms / resulting problems?

I'm studying COMT mutations and would like to begin a discussion thread for those who know their SNP results and can provide feedback about their experiences and symptoms related to this mutation. For example, do you have high (or low) norepi results? Other notable lab results? How have your...
  8. E

no more gains after 5 months- and problems with mercury

I would not take pycnogenol if you are suffering from headaches. It can induce tnf production and make inflammation worse, causing headaches and activating viruses. Garlic and many other supplements and herbs can also do this. I agree with the comments about zinc deficiency, and the possible...
  9. E

Which labs are people using with success for: MTHFR (etc) and Methylation profiling ?

I'd like some feedback and suggestions for labs in the USA. Specifically, I'm looking for in-depth evaluation of methylation (and ideally more comprehensive metabolic pathways) status; and of course MTHFR and other more comprehensive genotyping. Is there a lab which offers comprehensive...
  10. E

Which to treat first: adrenals, thyroid or methylation cycle?

I agree with this response. I would start with methylation / transulfuration pathways corrections as these affect everything else downstream. I'll add that correcting any estrogen/testosterone/progesterone/other hormone imbalances can help, also. Thyroid comes last.
  11. E

Methyl Group Sinks

Have you tried the niacinamide form of B3? I suggested this to a close friend, and she is doing well with this at 1,000 mg TID (but started at just 500 mg /day).
  12. E

tip for anyone doing chelation and having a hard time

Good point. I agree that laboratory testing is ideal, and whenever possible should be done. However, lab testing is unfortunately impractical for some folks to get ordered, and many people like myself find themselves very strongly fitting the profile for undermethylation or overmethyaltion from...
  13. E

I agree, those are good ideas for some people. Response to supplements is very individual, however, in my experience. Also, if a person is an undermethylator, TMG can be a very good choice. It also stimulates digestion and helps the liver clear toxins and elevate glutathione. For those who...
  14. E

Turmeric can result in yeast/fungal overgrowth by suppressing tnf-alpha. TNF-alpha is important in the body's defense against fungal infections. Turmeric is so effective at lowering tnf-alpha, it is used by many Behcet's Disease (B.D.) patients to help them heal. B.D. is characterized by...
  15. E

I believe if metallothionein is broken, or zinc has been chronically low, it is difficult at best to eliminate yeast until these problems are resolved. Some medications (such as beta blockers) and supplements (such as turmeric/curcumin) that impair or lower the body's tnf-alpha production can...
  16. E

For what it's worth, I've had good results orally with Sun Chlorella and I know many others who've done well with oral chelation. There are some advantages to oral chelation which IV doesn't offer according to Dr. Gordon. The only thing I don't like about his formulas is that they have garlic in...
  17. E

Catsyey: There seems to be some concerns about magensium-EDTA. See this link: www.smart-publications.com/articles/oral-chelation-magnesium-edta-versus-calcium-edta/ I am curious to know why your doctor has chosen this form of chelation specifically. Can you give us the details about this?
  18. E

Spirulina anyone??

I have seen conflicting information in regard to garlic. Here is a quote from an article: "Garlic derivatives have both a stimulatory (7) and inhibitory (79) effect on lymphocyte proliferation and LPS-induced TNF-alpha generation". Remember that with autoimmune and autoinflammatory conditions...
  19. E

Spirulina anyone??

I have tried Spirulina. It made me ill, and at first I did not know why. Later, after some research, I was able to confirm that it can potently stimulate TNF-alpha, an inflammatory cytokine. I do not recommend it for most people for that reason. I have not had the same negative response to Sun...
  20. E

Where can I buy Glutathione injections and is Whey Protein worth a try?

This is a common reaction to coconut oil. IMO, you should have no problem raising your glutathione and controlling EBV with the suggestions given so far. Most of the time when someone thinks they are experiencing a herx reaction from a supplement, it is in reality a toxic reaction. Especially...
  21. E

Comment by 'endomeister' in 'How to stop vertigo, nausea and feeling unsteady'

Curcumin is superb for improving circulation and reducing inflammation of blood vessels. I believe this is the main reason it is helpful to some patients with vertigo. (I'm not sure if there are any formal studies on this yet.) Most people take it with food and it is very well tolerated and even...
  22. E

feel really bad @3 months? keep on?

If you have genuine reason to be concerned about mercury, I'd consider selenium as a supplement. A lot of people focus on supplements but I have to say they are no substitutes for healthy, organic vegetables. Especially mixed green salads, etc.
  23. E

I'd be careful. It probably is not a herx reaction from the coconut oil but rather an inflammatory response (which can lower glutathione levels). I had an inflammatory response to coconut oil (and garlic). There are many herbs and foods which can make things worse.
  24. E

Anyone Else get ill after exposure to sunlight - not just the heat

I have found that coconut oil makes me (and others with HSV1) ill. I believe it is because of the high arginine content. On the other hand, I have tried lysine and vitamin C to be effective if taken several times daily. Lysine: 6,000 mg in three divided doses. Vitamin C: 500 mg taken at the same...
  25. E

Comment by 'endomeister' in 'How to raise glutathione within cells and reduce tnf-alpha inflammation'

It's good to be skeptical. I always buy name brand products (like Life Extension) from iHerb all the time, and have had no problems. I can't comment about international shipments, since I'm in the U.S. but I can say that they have been very good to me and have always shipped immediately. My...
  26. E

I used to get sick with fatigue and brain fog in less than 15 minutes in the direct sun....the sun FELT good...but left me ill for up to several days.
  27. E

I agree that vitamin D3 levels and magnesium can be helpful. Fatigue in response to sun exposure sounds very suspicious for an immune response to me however. I suffered from this for years as a result of HSV1 (other viruses can produce a similar response). This is much more common than was...
  28. E

NAC can help generate glutathione but it generated too much inflammation in my case - probably because of it's tendency to generate NO (nitric oxide), I speculate, which my body produces too much of (as many CFS and B.D. patients do). However, with my whey protein shake, I throw in a little...
  29. E

I take breaks from supplements because the body 'gets used to them'...and sometimes the body also resists absorbing or assimilating the nutrient in question if given at high dose for a prolonged period. I believe curcumin is this way. It also a good idea to let the cells have a break and go thru...
  30. E

How to stop vertigo, nausea and feeling unsteady