• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Sherlock

Comment by 'Sherlock' in 'I might be getting better....?'

@Wolfcub I only know the very basics about the B vitamins and serotonin. I think that B6 might be the most relevant. Check into "serotonin storm" to see about getting shaky from too much. Sadness possibly from being too low. Actually, I think you're lucky that you have something that causes an...
  2. Sherlock

Comment by 'Sherlock' in 'I might be getting better....?'

Reminds me more than a little of my own experiences, post viral and all that afterwards. I also saw you using the word 'clue' about protein. I'd say that is entirely expected after you've been getting all that wood in. So your muscles want the protein, not for fuel but as a reaction to the...
  3. Sherlock

Temporary or Permanent Muscular damage?

That might be related to what is called in inflammatory arthritis as 'gelling'. Inflammatory arthritis is said to be worse in the morning (osteoarthritis is not), though yours seems to come on super fast, not just overnight. I've always had crackable joints even pre post-viral CFS. (Some CTD.)...
  4. Sherlock

AI used in drug repositioning, open source?

After reading the recent post by @nryanh94 on AI and drugs, I looked for anything remotely resembling an open source project. Surprisingly, there kind of is one. http://apps.chiragjpgroup.org/repoDB/ Not exactly useful for CFS/ME at this point, but it's a start in the right direction of free...
  5. Sherlock

Biotech Company Creating AI to develop treatments for ALS and Parkinsons

Interesting, thanks -- and I guess it was inevitable with all the money going into AI. But it turns out that in this particular company, she wants to do drug discovery (creating whole new drugs). Still, there must be others who are using AI to find new uses for established drugs: drug...
  6. Sherlock

Mayonnaise/vinegar?

Aha, that's interesting. Do you ever have muscle problems, RWP? Three years ago I would get slight muscle tears in my biceps just from a few minutes of holding a portable phone out in font of me on speakerphone. Very odd. I was not overall weak or wasting, e..g I would still do chinups. Roughly...
  7. Sherlock

hypertension from CFS: solved FOR ME

It's for before the exercise, over the hours afterward, and even during. Let's see... Potassium citrate works well and safely as an anti-acid. Baking soda works, too, but you have to be very careful to not take too much - else there is a very powerful laxative effect. If legs are elevated...
  8. Sherlock

Mayonnaise/vinegar?

Thanks, I appreciate your observations. Btw I think the malic acid had immediate benefit for me, not because of the acidity, but because of something in the malic side. I don't think it has to do directly with ATP, either.
  9. Sherlock

MCAS makes eye(s) suddenly blurry

Apparently, some allergy sufferers have the inside lining of their eyelids slough off. This seems like the same thing. The inside of the eyelid has many of... you guessed it, mast cells. But come to think of it, there are times of instant onset. I cannot read the computer screen with that eye...
  10. Sherlock

Mayonnaise/vinegar?

Sure, ask anything :) I do not have acid stomach all the time. Nope, no GERD for me. I do not fit the physical profile, either. However, I would get episodic reflux only at those rare times when my stomach is on fire from what I ate - and I am laying down. I had a very few bad episodes of...
  11. Sherlock

Mayonnaise/vinegar?

I tend toward high stomach acid, sometimes way too high after certain types of foods... like lots of peanut butter.
  12. Sherlock

MCAS makes eye(s) suddenly blurry

A blogger is reviewing Afrin's Occam book and quotes him: http://www.mastcelldisease.com/never-bet-against-occam-the-mcas-bible-in-review-part-five/ I've been having that for years, in the morning, but for me was almost always only in one eye. It's as if a film suddenly is over the pupil...
  13. Sherlock

how does LPS get processed in the body?

There is evidence that Boswellia binds to LPS and reduces its inflammatory effect: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22001311 "Boswellic acids from frankincense inhibit lipopolysaccharide functionality through direct molecular interference." 2012
  14. Sherlock

Mayonnaise/vinegar?

That's interesting because I've always craved vinegar, e.g. adding it to soups and even sometimes drinking it with water. Also, sour candy as a kid, which contains the similar malic acid. Malic acid is one thing recommended for fibromyalgia. The kicker: yesterday, when I was sick with a cold...
  15. Sherlock

5 lox inhibitor and inflammation

Yes, with Boswellia. Great results, most noticeably with lung power. I'm in the process of seeing what more possibly happens with increased dosage, from 1/2 tsp going up to 1+ tsp. (I see this is an old post but also see that you are still active here.)
  16. Sherlock

I'm looking into the culprit being 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX), as Boswellia is helping a lot and 5-LOX is known to be inhibited by Boswellia (IIRC, by chemically binding). 5-LOX is known to inflame joints and Boswellia is a long-used Tx for ordinary osteoarthritis, etc. Because applying DIY topical...
  17. Sherlock

Looking for help regarding MCAS

Here is Theoharides saying that for some of his patients with Mastocytosis for whom nothing else worked (not flavonoids nor cromolyn), Xolair helps. To my mind, Theo has the most knowledge of all (he is published in the NEJM), though he is not the most polished speaker. At around 1:37:30 :
  18. Sherlock

Comment by 'Sherlock' in 'Answering Questions - Got Questions? I Answer! haha :-)'

Hey, Paula, that was a fun and effective way to handle the replies. :) Unfortunately though, the tagging by username doesn't apparently work on blog posts, so I didn't receive an alert.I just stumbled on this.
  19. Sherlock

Yep, that's why I'd pointed out my methylation defect and TMG's being a methyl donor. Also that I personally needed a much higher dose, in case some others in the world might be like me and almost miss out by dosing too low. It would be ideal if for instance there were a large database where...
  20. Sherlock

The capsules were VitaCost and the powder was from PowderCity, which unfortunately is now defunct. I'm guessing that simple powders like TMG are made in 1 or 2 big facilities in the entire world -- whereas herbals or complicated molecules are probably not. Oh, you just reminded me: I've read...
  21. Sherlock

Yep, I would start my BP cuff then stand. Often I'd get an error msg. If it did successfully complete, I'd be low BP, with high HR to compensate. There also were times in the past when, if I stood still for a few minutes, I'd feel myself in danger of passing out - so I'd start walking and all...
  22. Sherlock

Sorry, I should have been more explicit when mentioning Theoharides and added that he is all about mast cells, not CFS. Or it might have been Afrin, also MCs not CFS. Just some off the cuff thoughts, if you don't mind: sip throughout anti-acid, anti-oxidant, and/or anti-inflammatories. Elevate...
  23. Sherlock

You know, I've just heard this week some doc saying in an interview that such applies to the vast majority of their patients. I certainly believe it. Maybe it is Theoharides. With insomnia, I loop these audios all night long. When I hear it again, I'll make a note and post that to you. The...
  24. Sherlock

Addendum: I might take up to 1 tsp of TMG in divided doses per day and probably started out near that with my first bag of powder. There seems to be no downside for me in too much - and a bonus is that it helps with increased muscle power going up hills. Meanwhile, I never had any benefit from...
  25. Sherlock

Thanks, Mary. That's the kicker: I'd bought the TMG as an exercise supplement pre-CFS, but it did nothing. Did nothing post-CFS either, at 1 or 2 capsules (750mg) at a time. One day, a cousin developed immune-caused sudden onset hypertension. I gave him some capsules to try. He nearly fell off a...
  26. Sherlock

Thanks, RWP. My first sign of post-viral CFS was sudden onset orthostatic hypotension-and-tachycardia, with otherwise hypertension. Pre-CFS; 120/80 with CFS average: 140/90 but then often Isolated Diastolic Hypertension worst spike was probably 190/118 or so Pre-CFS, I was always able to bring...
  27. Sherlock

Low Muscle Glycogen Levels in Muscle Biopsy

Oh, this info changes everything. Especially if you can't even put on fat? Have you tracked calories and believe you are daily in calorie excess but still gain zero weight? But if you are not in calorie excess, then the diet macro composition should hardly matter. [edit: eating and absorbing...
  28. Sherlock

Hi, this is from the NIH: (It doesn't say if the observation that I bolded is from rodents only, though.) https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/nnl/musculoskeletal/skel_musc/atrophy/skeletal-muscle-atrophy_508.pdf Or another musing: is the disuse perhaps selectively of the Type IIB fibers only? IIB store...
  29. Sherlock

That "why" is what I most need to find out. For me, the injury/damage to small joints absolutely requires two parts: the underlying susceptibility the actual physical trauma/stress that causes the injury, which can be any previously normal movement I haven't as yet heard any MCAS expert that...
  30. Sherlock

Sedentary? That would match with the atrophy in the Type II muscle fibers. Or is there elevated CK (creatine kinase) pointing to muscle breakdown?