• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. SOnset

New Video on ME/cfs - "The Signature"

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! It's always hard to know how something will be received until you put it out there, so the feedback is very valuable to me. @Research 1st I think the thing to keep in mind is that the bar graphs in the paper and video represent the average, or mean, results...
  2. SOnset

Preview - MIND THE ABYSS: Part 2

Thanks for remembering Mind the Abyss Part 2, Dolphin. As it turns out, I got caught up producing a film on the Hornig, Lipkin, et al. study out of Columbia, so I have still not completed part 2 of Mind the Abyss. I'm not sure at this point when it will get done, but now sometime in 2016 at the...
  3. SOnset

New Video on ME/cfs - "The Signature"

Below is The Signature - the third in the series of films I've done on recent scientific research concerning ME/cfs. Its subject is the ME/cfs plasma immune signature study conducted by Mady Hornig, Ian Lipkin, et al. which came from The Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia...
  4. SOnset

Preview - MIND THE ABYSS: Part 2

Below is a preview of "Mind The Abyss: Part 2." I started this in early 2014 but put it aside to do the "Scientific Evidence" videos. I thought I would put this part up now because it will probably take me a while to complete the whole thing. The video begins with a clip many might know from...
  5. SOnset

New Video on ME/cfs -"PROTEOME"

Having spent a good deal of time pouring over this study for my film, I thought I would try to explain my understanding of its rationale and promise. First, there is no way to scan an individual spinal fluid sample for all of its proteins. 95% of the sample consists of just 14 proteins and...
  6. SOnset

FWIW, I just wanted to let people know that youtube has finished re-processing the film, improving the contrast and making it look much more like it was originally intended. It looks much nicer now - to me at least. :) SuddenOnset
  7. SOnset

Below is a new video I just put up on the 2011 spinal fluid proteome study by Natelson, et al. Like the Lights' compelling 2009 gene expression study (which was the subject of my first film in this series) I do not believe that this remarkable 2011 study of the spinal fluid proteomes of CFS and...
  8. SOnset

The Lights: Sufferers of chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia have hope in new diagnostic tool

By coincidence, I put up a video about the Lights 2009 study on gene expression in CFS just one day before this article was published.
  9. SOnset

New Video on ME/CFS: "Biomarker"

I've put up a new video about Alan and Kathleen Light's 2009 study of gene expression in CFS. By a fairly amazing coincidence, an article on the Light's continuing research in this area was published the day after I put up this video...
  10. SOnset

New Video on ME/CFS: "MIND THE ABYSS"

Thanks for the kind words EMilo and thanks to everyone for the positive response to "Mind the Abyss - Part 1." I am continuing to work on Part 2 and hope to have it ready in a few months. Unfortunately, in the last year I have been dealing with the unexpected death of my brother and the...
  11. SOnset

No offense taken, PhoenixBurger. You raised a valid concern. SickOfSickness: I was very fortunate that the psychiatrist I saw immediately suspected that it was not "all in my head." Most of the lab tests were within the "normal range" or just outside of normal. The most significant seems to...
  12. SOnset

Thanks for all the comments! I think, at the moment, that the quickest way to jump past the introduction would be to use one of the two links below. You may have to put http:// at the start of the line. The introduction (and the ending) were originally intended as being part of a much longer...
  13. SOnset

This is the trailer and "Part 1" of a video series I am working on called "Mind the Abyss." This initial segment is based on my personal experience, but I think it will be familiar to many. "Mind the Abyss - Prodrome" is my attempt to convey through text, animation and music something about the...