• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. RuralRick

Who do you trust with information about covid 19?

Thank you. That was very informative.
  2. RuralRick

Who do you trust with information about covid 19?

Usually the CDC is reliable, but is seems to have become politicized recently. The local county Health Dept is a good source of reliable information. They may have a mailing list you could get on. Also I like to keep my eye on journal articles....like in JAMA. They are usually cutting...
  3. RuralRick

CFS a protection against Coronavirus?

My concern is the post viral effects of COVID on individuals with CFS, causing an exacerbation of symptoms. I doubt I'm any less vulnerable to the virus but I sure I am more vulnerable to the after effects.
  4. RuralRick

Unrefreshing Sleep / REM Cycle / Circadian Rhythm / CBD:THC

Have you been tested for sleep apnea?
  5. RuralRick

Tricyclic Antidepressants Work for Me

Yes, TCA's are antihistamines also. As far as Serotonin and CFS, there seems to be a lot of research but no conclusions.
  6. RuralRick

From Bedridden to riding my bike for 20 km-My Story

That is a really great post, @goldberg. Especially that you included the exercises. I found it very helpful. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.
  7. RuralRick

Thanks for including the link to the scale in your post. Based on that, I would have been Mild. I continued to go to school but tried to get out of as many social engagements as I could. Even in the Mild Category I felt as if I were only going through the motions of life, carrying this ball...
  8. RuralRick

Is something going on in my sleep? Possible tests...

Don't know about the first one, but.... Throat closing = Acid Reflux Dry Mouth/Sore Throat = Acid Reflux Tooth Erosions = Acid Reflux Heartburn = Acid Reflux See the trend? Everything is connected to your reflux. Your symptoms are usually occurring after you lay down at night, which is when...
  9. RuralRick

After the initial diagnosis and treatment by the psychiatrist many years ago, there has been no issue continuing to get the drug. I usually tell new doctors what I am dealing with and that this has always worked for me. Its not a controlled drug and as I've said, its used for other chronic...
  10. RuralRick

I fit the Canadian Consensus Criteria best, although there are some problems with the PEM. It depends on how you define exertion. The exertion that triggers my symptoms is usually extreme emotional stress or physical illness. I'm not triggered by exercise. All of the other criteria I meet...
  11. RuralRick

There actually are some others that I've heard of. Often its just to get the drug level high as quickly as possible rather than to replace lost stores of whatever. Thanks for your example.
  12. RuralRick

I've never heard a theory as to why it works but I've never talked to a researcher either. We do have some anxiety and depression in the family. Just run of the mill type though, not disabling. They may be on meds....I don't know.
  13. RuralRick

I wonder this also. Its interesting that blocking acetylcholine may be helping me but the opposite helps you. I'm not sure why I need higher loading doses. The rule is that it takes 5 half lives to reach a steady state of the drug level. So if the half life (the time it takes to clear out...
  14. RuralRick

Yes.....St. John's Wart.
  15. RuralRick

My trigger was a long, sleepless night after an incident that made me anxious. When the morning arrived, so did my symptoms. I never get depression symptoms when I come off or lower the dose. If I do it too soon, then my original symptoms return. I kind of walk a fine line between having no...
  16. RuralRick

I have had CFS for 40 years. Or something similar to CFS. I awoke with it one morning and it stayed with me for 4 years. I saw a lot of doctors who were unable to diagnose or treat me, had a lot of tests which were all normal. I gave up trying for a long time. Then one day I decided to try...
  17. RuralRick

Sleep Deprivation and CFS

Denmarker, I wonder, have you tried staying up all night, on purpose? No laying down allowed. It may not help, but I am curious how you would feel by morning.
  18. RuralRick

New drs are painful???

Here's my advice. Do everything he suggests and let them fail. Let him see that you are trying and following his suggestions. After a few failures, he will feel like he has done his best to find another solution and he we eventually relent and give you the antivirals, if for no other reason...
  19. RuralRick

This Fall it will be 40 years. I have never met anyone else who has what I have (whatever that is). It has also apparently not shortened my lifespan so far. So whatever it is, it isn't toxic to my body, just my brain. I do take something that is very helpful, a tricyclic antidepressant. So...
  20. RuralRick

Yes, I have both. In fact, this is usually the first sign that I'm going into an exacerbation. Its also the last thing to leave when I feel better. Thanks for the responses. Its interesting that some are affected just by night arriving while others need to stay up later. Its exciting for...
  21. RuralRick

I understand, Mary. I'm not surprised that many people have insomnia here. What I'm talking about, however, is staying up on purpose. Not lying down and trying to sleep. I know it sounds the same but I think its different. Where you push yourself to the point that your eyes want to bug out...
  22. RuralRick

I discovered a long time ago that sleep deprivation helped my CFS. I used to have a job where I worked all day and then once in awhile would have to work all night. If I was having a bad day with my CFS, I found that around 2 AM the symptoms starting subsiding and by an hour later they were...