• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. L

Need Help: Severe Reaction to Sam-e (Went to the ER) - SAMe

@Gondwanaland Is there a brand of Branch Chain Amino Acids that you heard of or found for yourself to be good for SS? I believe I need to seriously antagonize Trytophan because last night my Serotonin Syndrome symptoms strongly came back despite taking 8 mg of cyproheptadine an hour before that...
  2. L

So a strange thing happened yesterday (last night, technically this Sunday morning), my blood pressure shot up to 160/95 with a 106 beat per minute at 12:47am. All my symptoms came back in full force. I took 8 mg of the Cyproheptadine at 11pm so I was surprised that this happened. In the end, I...
  3. L

@pamojja I’m guessing it’s highly likely that the B. Longum will be gone out of my system in a few days or weeks, if not already? Thanks for sharing your experience on this. Maybe once I’m fully healed I’ll start eating a cup of plain yogurt every other day.
  4. L

Great..I found out that a single strain probiotic I was taking 1 to 2 weeks before my ER visit on Monday helped cause me having too much serotonin: It's called Bifidobacterium longum. I noticed that I kept on forgetting to list that probiotic on my medication/supplements form of what I've been...
  5. L

Thanks for the tip! It's so weird. After eating a good size bowl of one raw carrot shredded and mixed with coconut oil, I heard my stomach make some loud noises and then all of a sudden I felt cold with strong emotional agitation and started getting shortness of breath, heavy chest...
  6. L

@Ginger You're welcome. Thank you for seeing me through this ordeal. I'm really hopeful to be healed soon.
  7. L

@Gondwanaland Thanks for those helpful links. I'm reading through them now. Yeah I'm so glad- what a relief! Btw, is the shredded carrots meal consists of one full carrot each serving with a teaspoon of coconut oil?
  8. L

@Gingergrrl I was able to get a follow up appointment at a different doctor’s office, she never heard of Serotonin Syndrome but was willing to hear me out. I decided to not get benzos because I was concerned about how strong of a medicine it is and I didn’t want to get hooked on it or anything...
  9. L

Reasons why I might still be experiencing symptoms of too much serotonin after 1 week from the ER are: I'm starting to piece things together and it seems that I was also separately taking other amino acids and supplements but didn't realized they combine together in my body to synthesize...
  10. L

how do you reduce or remove serotonin?

Wow! I didn’t realize but I was not only eating dangerous food combinations but also taking tyrosine pill in the morning and tryptophan pill in the afternoon not realizing that it causes the production of more serotonin- while I was taking Sam-e and 5-HTP... maybe that’s why my symptoms have...
  11. L

Thank you all so much for your advice and recommendations!! It’s really helpful and every tip counts. Not only the big things but the little things make life better for us. Thanks @heapsreal @Gondwanaland
  12. L

@Gingergrrl Thank you so much for helping me out with this. I’m truly grateful because I felt heard, acknowledged, and you gave me more confidence to keep on advocating for my symptoms. It’s hard when you’re experiencing it to do that. And your encouragement was needed. Including everyone’s...
  13. L

@Gingergrrl Hi! I’m feeling better. Some tremors, shaking and rigid tenseness is down a bit now that I’m taking Propranolol 10mg tablets. It’s helping. I finally got more than 2 or 4 hours of sleep today! Probably around 6 hours with lots of waking up to drink water from feeling hot. I went to...
  14. L

here's my other thread https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/need-help-severe-reaction-to-sam-e-went-to-the-er-same.61076/page-2#post-993669
  15. L

@Runner5 Oh dear God, I'm so sorry you experienced all of those horrible problems. I hope things improve. Thank you for responding to my question. I've had some help with people on here so I'm hopeful. But I haven't slept much at all only 2 hours today and 3 hours yesterday and 4 hours the other...
  16. L

Thanks for your feedback. You’re helpful. I can possibly look into this some more after being seen for the possible serotonin issue. I’m hesitant to try anything right now and if I do in the future it’ll only be under the supervision of a professional healthcare provider. This whole morning I...
  17. L

@Eastman Thank you for your reply. I'll investigate more into that. I'm open to exploring all probable causes of my symptoms because ultimately I want to get well and heal. If it the case, what steps I should start taking to help take care of myself of this? Btw, It could be a combination of...
  18. L

@zzz Thank you zzz! Your comment is at once helpful and confirms my suspicions of the poor treatment I’ve recieved so far. I went to sleep at 4am and woke up at 6:30am due to feeling over heated and haven’t been able to go back to sleep. Going to try to see if I can get some more rest. These...
  19. L

@zzz I just called the other big hospital in downtown and they seemed annoyed when I told them that the other big hospital didn't think I had serotonin syndrome and I told them that they didn't even seem to know or didn't want to understand that the supplements I was taking will cause serotonin...
  20. L

@Hazeleyes99 Yeah, there’s a lot of factors for sure. Thanks for talking about your experience. I’m so sorry you had that while you’re driving too. It’s the worst. I’m glad you’re better now. It helps encourages me to know others have been through it alright. And I’m thankful that you’re...
  21. L

@Hazeleyes99 Wow thanks for the quick response. I read through the report and noticed the compound was nicotinamide that causes increase in plasma serotonin. I wonder if that’s similar to niacinamide and if niacinamide increases serotonin as well. Also, I was taking niacinamide very irregularly...
  22. L

@Hazeleyes99 Thanks for your empathy; I truly appreciate your kind words. Can I use niacinamide? It provides niacin but seems like a different molecule. It’s all I have. If it’s good then I’ll take a little just to help out with some rice puffs.
  23. L

I told my dad that I might need to go to the ER for Serotonin Syndrome and needed him to drive me because I can’t physically drive in my condition and he started yelling at me stomping around his bedroom yelling that I’m making things up and that no one gets so sick that they’ll die that easily...
  24. L

Also I live in a rural area where the doctors aren’t seeing lots of different types of symptoms and causes. And they didn’t even know what the supplements were, the 2nd ER doc asked me what Sam-e was when I was listing the supplements and I replied the best I could in my condition that it’s an...
  25. L

@Gingergrrl Should I go to the ER tonight? It seems the ER doctors have written me off already, been dismissive and wrote some stuff in my ER report relating to that, and they stressed going to a primary care to do follow up. Maybe I can chance it and in the morning beg my mom’s doctor to see me...
  26. L

@zzz I wonder if calling for an ambulance or asking my parents to drive me to the ER tonight (it's almost midnight where I live) will be even beneficial for me. Unfortunately I have to weigh the financial costs of the ER visits with my ability to not go deeply into debt and be ruined. If it gets...
  27. L

@zzz Thank you so much for you help! I had an intuition that I had Serotonin Syndrome but still needed to figure it out. My intuition got stronger and finally came across Harvey Sternbach, MD article on it. I'm still experiencing most of my symptoms so I'd like to work with a healthcare provider...
  28. L

Found a way to slow down new serotonin development... but it's too complicated for me to even attempt to do on my own, maybe with a doctor? A new method for rapidly and simultaneously decreasing serotonin and catecholamine synthesis in humans https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC257796/...