• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. B

Books

Thanks, Meg, for recommending my book. I've been overwhelmed by the positive response. It's more than I ever hoped for. It makes all the hard work and toll it on my health feel worth it. If anyone would like to know more about it, please go to the website for the book (my daughter created the...
  2. B

Toni Bernhard 2nd blog post

Nielk - I'm so glad that you continued to find the book helpful! You say you'll need to read it multiple times. I just wanted you to know that I still read it! I get it out to find just the right practice for the difficulty I'm facing. I've been getting such wonderful feedback from people, no...
  3. B

Hi Wayne, I think it's important to be creative when you're stuck mostly at home as I am. I like to call it "thinking outside the box." So, for example, I can't travel, but I can "virtual travel" on the web. I like your idea of creativity! I'm glad you liked the video. My husband filmed it and...
  4. B

Hi Wayne, Buddhist explicitly is not passive. In fact, each of the four sublime emotions has what's called the "near enemy" which we can mistake for the sublime emotion itself (the four emotions are: loving-kindness, compassion, joy in other's joy, and equanimity -- there's a chapter in my book...
  5. B

Hi again. Yes, you've stated the theme of the book just as I see it -- illness is our starting point (for now anyway). If we accept that, we'll be much more peaceful and calm (which is good for us physically) as we continue to look for treatments and for ways to live with more equanimity and...
  6. B

Hi. Toni Bernhard here. I love the serenity prayer. I've used it myself. Thanks for reminding me of it. I just wanted to comment on your interpretation of my blog post. Just as we say that the Eskimos have 39 words for snow, in Buddhism, there are many many words for desire. It's too complex...