• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. M

how "filmjölk" has saved my gut

Hi MonkeyMan, have you ever tried making kefir from the original milk kefir grains instead with a starter? For me personally it turned out to be my personal life-saver. I always eat the milk kefir soaked one day in rolled oats for the prebiotics in my muesli.
  2. M

Foods high in antioxidants/ORAC value list? My way to recovery

Hi Jim and all, wow, I'm so glad for you you're feeling so much better! :hug: Like you I'm convinced my gut was the cause of my CFS. I just wanted to add the suggestion, if anybody doesn't have the money at their disposal for expensive probiotic supplements, I'm making my own homemade milk...
  3. M

@Timaca - Oh yes, I feel so much better now compared to a few years back, gosh I can't even describe how much better I feel. It's hard looking back and compare it to the "now state", maybe because you tend to block sth. out because it was traumatizing sometimes, if that makes any sense. And yes...
  4. M

Hi all, just thought I would post a quick update. I've researched about this Nrf2/Keap 1 pathway @LINE mentioned (Thank you again, LINE!) and I read about sulforaphane being the most powerful activator of this pathway. I thought I had this covered already as I'm eating my steamed broccoli...
  5. M

Please report back about your experiences, I would be really curious about it. According to Wiki it has shown to be effective against hypertension, but its antimicrobial properties are probably helpful for the microbiome in general.
  6. M

Please report back about your experiences, I would be really curious about it. According to Wiki it has shown to be effective against hypertension, but its antimicrobial properties are probably helpful for the microbiome in general.
  7. M

I have never tried it, what was your experience with it and for how long did you take it? In my experience I really had to take those herbs and spices for a couple of weeks and months to feel the difference. After a quick search, Sumac is almost off the charts on the ORAC value list. And what a...
  8. M

I¨ve never researched about black seed oil or frakensence, but Amla makes 1/3 of the triphala formulation and I never read about Amla being immune stimulating? I'm tolerating Amla/the triphala formulation very well so far, I'm taking it for 5 months now. It has helped me to get rid of candida...
  9. M

No, this did not happen to me. But I'm really just taking cloves, cinnamon,oregano, triphala, cummin seeds... the ones I described in my opening post. I think their positive effects for me was due to their antimicrobial properties in the gut, those herbs have no stimulating effects to the...
  10. M

Yes, I'm convinced that my improvement in health is due to gut bacteria, very much so. But everyone has to try for themselves of course.
  11. M

I mean teaspoon of each not tablespoon of course, I'm very sorry. :(
  12. M

No, I don't mix them in water, that must make an interesting tasting concoction indeed.:depressed: I'm just taking one tablespoon of each spice a day directly in my mouth and swallowing it down as fast as I can with a big gulp of water on empty stomach. I'm doing this now for about 8 months...
  13. M

2 weeks ago this research showed up on one of my subscribed subreddits about the Nrf2 pathways, what a coincidence: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987718305723#b0925 It's a long read but very interesting. So far I'm really feeling so much better on my strict...
  14. M

I follow Dr. Greger's site nutritionfacts.org too, I love his videos and the way he explains the newest research about foods. Because of Dr. Greger I'm always sprinkling a bit of mustard seed powder on my cooked broccoli, lol. https://nutritionfacts.org/video/second-strategy-to-cooking-broccoli/
  15. M

Thank you, I've heard that cassia cinnamon may have its benefits for blood sugar control, but as ceylon cassia has the same amount of antioxidants and there's no risk of liver damage, I will switch to ceylon.
  16. M

Thank you very much for your reply, I have no idea about this Nrf2 pathway or what it really means, lol, but I will google it and try to understand how it works. All I can say is that these spices and herbs in high amounts (!) helped me so much, I'm feeling like a new person since taking them...
  17. M

Wow, thinking about it, I've had to take some pretty strong antibiotics too after a very bad scooter accident in my early 20's when I was in hospital for my broken elbow? Maybe these antibiotics were responsible too for my leaky gut syndrome, I really didn't think about this until you reminded...
  18. M

Hi all, just thought I would share my story with you guys. My downward spiral started many years ago when I caught mononucleosis, I was constantly ill for 10 months, feverish and could barely work. After 10 months of this ordeal I finally felt better, but never really got back to normal again...
  19. M

Fixing Leaky Gut Helps ME/CFS, and Sometimes Achieves Full Remission

Yes, this was exactly how it was for me too! When I went gluten-free I ate a lot of the gluten-free pasta that is made out of 70% of corn flour, so first I was thinking gluten was not the problem for me. Only when I went on a grain-free diet and slowly reintroduced each grain was I able to...
  20. M

Fixing Leaky Gut Helps ME/CFS, and Sometimes Achieves Full Remission

In autoimmune diseases first rule to heal leaky gut is to avoid gluten and all grains, there is an elimination diet called AIP to determine on what food groups we are sensitive to. I really would be curious to see what happens if people diagnosed with CFS/ME would try the AIP diet. In my case I...
  21. M

Prolamines and leaky gut syndrome

The only digestive symptom I have is constipation. No celiac as I was tested negative. Fodmaps, I don't think this is the cause as my food intake of fermented foods like milk kefir and sauerkraut etc. is really high. And I love onions and garlic! Wheat, oats are a no go for me as I'm avoiding...
  22. M

As far as I know it is not very well understood what really causes bacterial dysbiosis in the gut, it could be anything really. If prolamines cause an inflammatory reaction similar to gluten sensitivity to people who are reactive to them, it could very well be the source for it.
  23. M

Thank you, yeah I think too leaky gut could be the cause for cfs/me for all of us and maybe we are all sensitive to different foods that are causing it. That's great you're having success in treating bacterial overgrowth, I will have to read about that. I know it's a great feeling being able to...
  24. M

I would say I was between stage 2 and 3 on that scale, not able to work but with a few good days in between where I was able to cook and do housework. Yes, I have thought about the possibility of having celiac disease, but I was tested negative and celiac disease is mainly about gluten. What...
  25. M

Hi all, for many years I've suffered from the classic CFS symptoms and tried a lot dietary wise as probably most of you have, too. The only improvement I've noticed was when I went gluten-free and included a lot of fermented foods like homemade milk kefir and sauerkraut, kimchi etc. in my diet...