• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Desertstorm

Mitochondrial dysfunction

No, chickens are fed ground grains such as corn or barley (barley especially in Western Canada) mixed with soy meal and mineral/vitamin mix. The idea for the farmer is to maximize gain on the minimum feed which requires very exact levels of carbs/proteins combined with ideal temps...
  2. Desertstorm

Free Range vs. Caged Meat Production

There has been a ton of research on minimizing the stress on livestock during transport and slaughter. Simple things such as rounding off chutes rather than expecting animals to negotiate corners which create piling up. These measures are in place at farms and slaughter facilities for the very...
  3. Desertstorm

A chicken has no idea what it's alternatives in terms of housing or feed are afterall, nor does a pig or a cow. Many folks simply assume they must because WE would. As such confinement agriculture becomes conflated with animal cruelty which is as far from the truth of the matter as could be...
  4. Desertstorm

This is where modern biosecurity measures come into play. Pork and poultry farmers use "all in all out" stocking and emptying of bird proof buildings rather than adding animals to existing populations. This practice is vital in excluding pathogens thus eliminating the need for antibiotics and...
  5. Desertstorm

They may taste differently or be of greater size, just as a pheasant differs from a quail raised on the same rations but they are still the same protein. The nonsense comes in when people avoid corn fed meat vs barley fed or self foraging. It's all the same stuff.
  6. Desertstorm

Hi tech Cure!

I tried crying, does not do anything for me!
  7. Desertstorm

Hi tech Cure!

I just want to be plugged in! The question is AC or DC?
  8. Desertstorm

What a chicken, pig or a cow eats as long as they are not feed antibiotics or steroids (which they are not now, nor have been for many years) makes no difference. Corn, wheat, barley, wild grass/weed seeds all are constituted of the same basic carbs. Modern farming practices feed a mixture of...
  9. Desertstorm

Hi tech Cure!

So perhaps the "cure" will be found when someone in silicon valley figures out how to wire a charger into the human body and we can walk around with battery packs!
  10. Desertstorm

Abx for 'severe' patients

I was given that several years ago and got what they called red man syndrome. Not fun, all my skin peeled likes body wide sunburn. Over the years before we figured out what I had they threw antibiotics at me for everything . Now I am very cautious bout antibiotics given when I will need them...
  11. Desertstorm

Cfs/me doc?

Very normal. I have my care split between four docs and non of them could get their heads around it. I take care to watch what each is up to as not to conflict with the others. It is pretty much treating symptoms. That said one doc who really has taken the time to read up on ME/CFS called a...
  12. Desertstorm

Have you ruled out Chiari or Craniocervical Instability (CCI) as a cause of your CFS

Sadly we all seem to be grasping at any possible cause or cure. I really try to refrain from that but get sucked in. Oh well.
  13. Desertstorm

Have you ruled out Chiari or Craniocervical Instability (CCI) as a cause of your CFS

Interesting. I have a MRI on my neck coming up. The neurosurgeon is a bit of an ass but will instruct him to check for that. Edit: Looking it up it seems to be a childhood affliction. He is looking for a narrowing or injury of the neck. Possibly due to RPG hits near to me. Well shall see.
  14. Desertstorm

Chaotic Immune System

Damn!!! How will any of us in the CIA be able to hide anything now? We spend years learning how to hide in plain sight and now some dude on an ME/CFS site has ruined the whole gig. Exposed and not at all happy about it.
  15. Desertstorm

Chaotic Immune System

You think she works for the CIA .:lol: Ok you win. I can’t argue with a nutter as much fun as it may be. Good luck.
  16. Desertstorm

Chaotic Immune System

Can you be more specific in terms of what you disagree with in their mission statment or funding sources? They are simply separating the science from the political and the mythology. That standard seems to me to be exactly what most of us with ME/CFS want and need. Too bad there are not more...
  17. Desertstorm

Chaotic Immune System

I would suggest checking out this group's disclosures before simply writing them off as a "industry" PR shill. https://geneticliteracyproject.org/mission-financials-governorship/ The reason I like reading their articles is because they are science based, debunk the claims of activists and...
  18. Desertstorm

Chaotic Immune System

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2018/06/01/dissecting-claims-about-monsanto-suing-farmers-for-accidentally-planting-patented-seeds/# This is a pretty useful site for all sorts of issues, science vs popular mythology. Medicine and especially genetic issues included. I find the articles are...
  19. Desertstorm

Chaotic Immune System

Huh? There was only know town at that time. The event you seem to be referencing is the Mega Melt which lasted about 200 years and saw sea levels rise by 8 ft due to global warming especially given the Bay of Fundy has tides of 60 feet or more twice a day. I suspect any humans hanging around...
  20. Desertstorm

Chaotic Immune System

Beware of those who speak in absolutes. Especially the chronically cynicical. I don’t dismiss natural medicine but then many civilizations that had to depend on it are long gone, especially when exposed to now harmless viruses. I prefer to take a reasonable open minded approach to everything.
  21. Desertstorm

Chaotic Immune System

The VA has had me on steroids for several years treating the symptoms (or some of them ) that are inflammatory in nature. They help with lungs, kidney, skin and other organ inflation. They do nothing for CFS. Keep in mind that CFS is just one facict of the GWI complex of traditionally or...
  22. Desertstorm

Any recent ME/CFS outbreaks?

Not a huge problem perhaps but not at a help certainly. Those jokes are repeated in schools and dare l say offices across the world now. I recall the same sort of TV jokes about gays bandied about in the same manner by us in sixth form. Not knowing two our fellow students were in fact gay and...
  23. Desertstorm

Or as Ricky Gervais called it..."Don't want to go to work disease". I saw that on HBO went off at him. One joke and years of awareness efforts out the window. I doubt he would dare make an HIV joke.
  24. Desertstorm

Perhaps the biggest outbreak of ME/CFS was in conjunction with GWI in 1991/92 with over 150k troops from several nations contracting it. It is accepted by the VA that a combination of exposures and viruses were most likely the nexus.
  25. Desertstorm

A 50,000 Foot Overview of Major ME/CFS Theories

I have a Dr Pepper in my team.
  26. Desertstorm

A 50,000 Foot Overview of Major ME/CFS Theories

Just someone find a magic pill or injection please. The science, the theories, fact that nothing is in common it seems...it all leaves me more exhausted than the shit in my core, than what has infiltrated every cell of my being . Wake me up when it is over please. It’s all above my pay grade...
  27. Desertstorm

Description of our fatigue

Saw a VA doc yesterday who has seen others with CFS while working at mayo and was great. She understood what I meant about good tired but said she could not relate to our insisent fatigue but had seen enough folks to know it is real and debilitating. So it’s back to neurology again at her...
  28. Desertstorm

Cognitive

I forgot what I was going to post...:love: Actually when I am crashing like now I sound to myself exactly like my dad of 87 does. Not that it’s a bad thing because he is such a great man but still...when you say something and your kids give you that sad smile look it gives one pause. I sure...
  29. Desertstorm

What questions will the SSDI Judge ask me?

Please don't get me wrong...I have accepted the reality of this, I have a very loving devoted wife and I won vs the VA. I feel for all the vets who are still fighting the VA, but am pleased they are dedicating resources to find a solution. There are many in the ME/CFS community who oppose...