• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Artstu

Measuring the physical activity level and pattern in daily life in ME-CFS

Yep they're doing far too much talking, slap a couple of devices on PWME and healthy controls for a week, one on the ankle, one on the wrist and get some flipping data.
  2. Artstu

GETSET (white) in Lancet 22/06/17

You're right it is a hell of a pace, only really possible for me in the freezing winter after a few months build up. I certainly can't do it in this heat. I've been down at walking at 2 mph or less and only managing a few minutes of walking. I know I'm lucky to have been able to make some good...
  3. Artstu

I can match that, that's just shy of 5 mph. Given we're both ill it certainly isn't a good indicator of just how ill we really are.
  4. Artstu

I guess I'm unusual in that I don't find stairs much of an issue. I've not been to any car shows or the like at the NEC since being ill, it would be too much for me. I did use a mobility scooter at Cosford air museum though, I'd have given up a quarter of the way round without it.
  5. Artstu

I can do that with relative ease especially in the cold of winter, I don't get much else done though, and I'm most certainly no where near back to normal health. This shows their complete lack of insight into the illness, increases need to be more in the order of 1%. Do the maths on the 20%...
  6. Artstu

Bedbound to Olympic athlete...really?

Indeed it will be interesting. I had glandular fever (confirmed by test) in my early twenties and after a very brief spell of feeling a little unwell my health returned to normal within days.
  7. Artstu

Pervasive Refusal Syndrome

From the abstract, says it all really.
  8. Artstu

BBC Radio 4: The Life Scientific with Simon Wessely, 14th Feb 2017

Simon was on TV this morning discussing military personnel mental health, slot starts at 01:12:30. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08f40jm/victoria-derbyshire-17022017
  9. Artstu

Relation between lactic acid and fatigue / PEM

I have more PEM from low level physical and mental activities than from more physical activities. Passenger ride in a car or say playing a board game, is lactic acid likely to play any part in that?
  10. Artstu

MEA: Make M.E. Better campaign

I know I'm not because when my symptoms are in a better period and I'm fully rested I can function at a level similar to what I believe I would if healthy. I have good muscle mass and can get my heart rate up to around 80% of max for reasonable periods, I can walk at 4 mph if I wish. What I...
  11. Artstu

MEA: Make M.E. Better campaign

I would say there are exceptions to that, I'm certainly not deconditioned. I have seen research recently that dismissed their findings relating to PWME as simply a sign of being deconditioned, but they did not have a deconditioned control group to compare the results with.
  12. Artstu

CFS Recovery Group London - ANS Rewire/Gupta Programme/Optimum Health Clinic

I reckon I could say more or less all that about myself, bar the spiritual bit. and I've done it without having an electrician in to rewire me :) can't resist that sorry, talk of ANS rewire thing makes me laugh out loud. To be clear I've not done any of the mind/body recovery programmes; namely...
  13. Artstu

If only you could stop it setting in hey.
  14. Artstu

Always dark for me in Xenforo 1.2 Dark Brown, with some amazing people here.
  15. Artstu

MUS, PPS services and IAPT integration into NHS primary care - what's happening across the UK?

Indeed I've not seen my GP for years now, and rarely saw one before I became ill as well.
  16. Artstu

Do Ice Baths Have Benefits? (answer: probably not)

A bit off subject, for me an exercise bike in a freezer would probably be best, hmm wonder if the local freezer place will help me out. ....
  17. Artstu

I'm on a water meter so had to consider the massive increase in water consumption, although you can apply for some sort of concession if you have a medical condition that means you need to use more water than normal. Still don't fancy it even though I know it would improve my health a little.
  18. Artstu

I just couldn't do cold baths, however without doubt exposure to cold frosty conditions improves my health. Cold exposure is known to boost mitochondria cells.
  19. Artstu

Unger et al: CDC Grand Rounds: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome — Advancing Research and Clinical Education

I was exposed to some hassle and pressure at the time I became ill, whether that played a part in me becoming ill I don't know.
  20. Artstu

A critical commentary and preliminary re-analysis of the PACE trial

You have to put the stage in place before you get on it ;) No booing at the back please :lol:
  21. Artstu

The Lost Years

I wonder about that, I'm ten years older now, I think I'm lucky to have been able to regain some of my mobility and fitness, so I'm able to go for walks or bike rides as long as I keep my total physical activity to around two hours for the day, the rest of the day I'm resting with minimal mental...
  22. Artstu

The Lost Years

10 years 6 months for me.
  23. Artstu

New MEGA study website (30 November 2016)

I wish their work rate was at the same pace, how long have they been working on Mega, they've not got much to show for how ever long it is. ..
  24. Artstu

I was going to make the point that a patient representative isn't likely to have any influence whatsoever, given that the MEA get completely ignored.
  25. Artstu

Now why can't they ask the researchers to do the same?
  26. Artstu

Petition: Opposing MEGA

Stock ME image
  27. Artstu

Just a break from the ME internet village.
  28. Artstu

David Tuller: Trial by Error Cont'd: The New Fitnet trial for kids

He said he's taking a break for a few days, guessing he'll pick it up when he's back in the ME internet village.
  29. Artstu

I never believe the 250,000 UK sufferers figure. It has to be way off, and given how many members there are in just two charities I wonder what the true figure is now, one million perhaps?
  30. Artstu

Lucky you, I'm still waiting patiently for the time I become a patient.