• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. olliec

#MEpedia: Page on Exercise

We need to stay mindful of what should go on the Exercise page, versus the others, especially the PEM page and the 2-day CPET page. Sometimes content may need to go on both. I've added explicit text, for example under PEM it now says "Read the main page: Post-exertional malaise."
  2. olliec

I've added a ref to Nijs 2011, and Learmonth 2014 to http://me-pedia.org/wiki/Exercise And a ref to Nijs 2010, Van Oosterwijk 2010 to http://me-pedia.org/wiki/Post-exertional_malaise Could you work those into the the text?
  3. olliec

I ran out of steam last week with this page, but am now doing some more work on it. First off, fixing a couple of broken refs in the page. If anyone else is around and wants to jump in, I'd appreciate any help!
  4. olliec

The relevant pages of the IOM report, that list studies that looked at the effects of exertion are pages 84-86, here http://www.nap.edu/read/19012/chapter/6?term=exercise#84 I've added that direct link to the PEM page. I'm compiling some of the studies from the IOM report to make sure we have...
  5. olliec

I've replaced the VanNess 2010 chart pair with a better version (sadly the study is behind a paywall), and aligned all the charts to the right a bit more neatly with captions making clear where they came from. I've also added the IOM report PEM chart. I've also added several more talks by...
  6. olliec

Go for it!
  7. olliec

Thanks Sasha. The key facts one-pager from the IOM has a nice chart in it too http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2015/MECFS/MECFS_KeyFacts.pdf
  8. olliec

The 2010 VanNess graphic is really hideous the way it displays, apologies to peoples' eyes, I will make improvements tomorrow (I copied the image from the PEM page).
  9. olliec

For my brain at least I'd prefer to see all the relevant studies including before restructuring, but don't let me stop you if you see improvements to make now. The page doesn't flow well at the moment and should explain the story, perhaps: 1. Exercise is good for healthies but not ME patients...
  10. olliec

Jaime that's a great list. Later we can refine/focus more on the better studies, but for now getting them all listed is useful so anyone can easily find them. I am happy to add the references, but it will be tomorrow as need to rest soon. Does anyone know of any study charts that we are...
  11. olliec

I found a talk by Christopher Snell and several by Staci Stevens and have added those, so the page now has eight talks by Workwell folk on it. It's so great they can measure our disability and objectively deflect accusations of lack-of-effort.
  12. olliec

Jaime, the 2013 Snell study is referenced in the page already. I've moved Cochrane & PACE into the "Studies" section, so a little more visible than "See also". Maybe someone can write a paragraph to mention these studies and put them in context, especially with the criticisms.
  13. olliec

It's certainly not a recommendation and I think text elsewhere in the page makes clear that exercise carries risks and is very difficult, but I have added to the CDC exercise recommendations (alongside the UK section). Some restructuring is needed to improve the flow of the page and include the...
  14. olliec

I actually added this (two-part) talk by Mark VanNess that he did in Vancouver a few weeks ago which is really interesting: Part 1 Part 2 He says at a forthcoming meeting he'll be outlining recent results from work he's done looking at ventilatory dysfunction in ME patients. If we wanted an...
  15. olliec

Can you help? Working on mitochondria page!

I have created a blank page with a content framework for Gerwyn Morris who published many papers with M Maes, to make it easier for anyone with sources about his work & history to add. It includes a link straight to all his work on Pubmed. http://me-pedia.org/wiki/Gerwyn_Morris
  16. olliec

If a study is poor then I wouldn't want to exclude it, but rather include it under a section "Flawed studies" or specifically detail why it is poor - was it cohort size, lack of blinding, the definition used, dubious funding, etc. If we start excluding sources that means private decisions behind...
  17. olliec

@barbc56 We have a page on Simon Wessely. There is also a page on the UK Breakspear Hospital which contains information about complaints and rulings against them. Inclusion is certainly not a recommendation, and the goal is to provide as good a range of factual, encyclopedic information as we...
  18. olliec

I've added the bulk of those as refs now Jaime, and also this study which I think is relevant. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23834645
  19. olliec

@Silencio The usual format for page names is like "Ronald Davis", so if you search for them and an existing page is there, you know what to link to. He had one already but under Ronald not Ron. I've added references to the page for all the studies Jaime mentioned. What other studies are missing?
  20. olliec

I've tweaked the Davis and OMF links to point to the existing pages for both and added a source to support a statement that a second metabolic study is underway.
  21. olliec

I'm really keen to hear from others how this page can be improved and there are certainly many studies that have not yet been added. The page has had over 4,000 page views already (including those editing it) so important we improve it, especially in light of the incoming Naviaux studies. I've...
  22. olliec

Why MEpedia is flawed and potentially harmful to advocacy

I welcome all feedback, but it is hard to read such strong criticism (especially that the project is "harmful") when so many patients have made significant contributions and it is still less than a year old. As a community (open source, literally) project it is up to the wider community to move...
  23. olliec

Why MEpedia is flawed and potentially harmful to advocacy

I'm disheartened to read your criticism. I'm one of the contributors to MEpedia and I think you have misunderstood both the aims and function of the project. MEpedia is an encyclopedia, so it does not express views and it certainly does not recommend treatments. It exists to state the facts, and...
  24. olliec

Forward ME Group: Minutes for meeting held on 24 May at House of Lords

LA Cooper is already making great strides helping coordinate the next UK MillionsMissing protests (plural) and I'm helping out a bit, but we desperately need more volunteers. Can you organise an event (of any size) at a key location near you? Oxford, Bristol, Cambridge, Belfast, Edinburgh...
  25. olliec

How to promote Jen Brea's TED talk when it goes up on YouTube?

MEpedia being a wiki means not only can anyone edit, but it is always in a state of flux and improving, it's never "finished". So for those considering making edits but hesitating, I say BE BOLD. If you are reading a wiki page and see something that is incorrect or could be improved, YOU are...
  26. olliec

How to promote Jen Brea's TED talk when it goes up on YouTube?

MEpedia is important alongside the Millions Missing site, to expand and grow pages so those seeing the TED talk can learn more, especially about Jen and the film, but also to springboard into related topics. MEpedia is different to other locations online as anyone can edit pages, so easier to...
  27. olliec

GMC suspends Nigel Speight

I'm so frustrated by this news. These poor kids who will lose support because of a professional spat. Hopefully a coordinated response will allow patients to offer support to Dr Speight in some way. I wanted to post and ask if anyone can please help expand the MEpedia page on Dr Speight and his...
  28. olliec

ME/CFS Alert: Episode 77 - Dr. Derek Enlander

I think this is an update on an existing (slow?) study? Enlander told me about it at least two years ago, and also mentions it here in 2013 http://phoenixrising.me/archives/16404
  29. olliec

NIH intramural research program update

Thanks to everyone who has been collating what we know about all the investigators in the NIH study in MEpedia. If you've seen any especially relevant articles, studies, talks or interviews re investigators (especially those of concern) please add them...
  30. olliec

NIH intramural research program update

I don't think I saw anyone post the video yet I added that to the MEpedia page http://me-pedia.org/wiki/NIH_Post-Infectious_ME/CFS_Study