• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. AdAstraPerAspera

Young, Unemployed and Scared: A Trilogy! Any Recommendations?

Hi everyone, Sidenote: About a year or so ago I posted asking for advice regarding a career choice - many people suggested biomedicine, but I only made it through 2 units of study this year, and it's been a real struggle - but I'm determined not to give up yet. This is a mix of issues around...
  2. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused about Lyme

Wait so, it's probably a real positive? and thank you for all the resources, this is amazing - I've used iHerb before and it's so great. I didn't think of getting B12 there though! I'll order some, my sister has started trying it and it's helped her a lot. You're the best.
  3. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused about Lyme

Oh thank you Learner that's a really good explanation! I've been told I'm homozygous for the MTHFR genetic deficiency thingo, and I know that affects methylation, so I've been taking glutathione daily. The NutrEval test sounds like a good idea. Just need to save up and decide which tests to get...
  4. AdAstraPerAspera

weak legs -- is this a neuro problem?

In Sarah Myhill's paper on mitochondrial failure here she talks about the build up of lactic acid and the problems it causes: "However there is another problem. If the body is very short of ATP, it can make a very small amount of ATP directly from glucose by converting it into lactic acid. This...
  5. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused about Lyme

I'm from Melbourne, vic :) Thank you for the suggestion - I'll try to find some Buhner herbs, I like the more gentle, natural approaches. What's the Freddd Methylation protocol?
  6. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused about Lyme

I barely understand a word of this :confused: haha oh dear, so much to learn
  7. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused about Lyme

I checked, looks like I was told wrong (couldn't remember and asked my sister, but she got the tests confused) and they were done in Geelong - I'm just hunting out the tests to find who did it, but I know our doctor did his best to verify them as reliable. 4 of us were tested, and my mother and...
  8. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused about Lyme

I've heard that from a few people mattie, I didn't realise antibiotics damaged the gut so much. Looks like the gut is where I should be focusing for now :)
  9. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused about Lyme

That's great advice, thank you Mel! I'll have a look.
  10. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused about Lyme

I thought so too, though I have heard it can be passed from mother to child, so it is possible that my mum passed it onto me and my sisters. Thanks Jim :)
  11. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused about Lyme

That's a really interesting point, I often thought about that too - that maybe it's a chronic infection but not one that causes the main amount of problems, and it might be better left alone than irritated with symptom worsening treatment. I'm sorry to hear it didn't help your health :( I might...
  12. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused about Lyme

Thank you Hip! I haven't been tested for them I don't think, I'll look into getting some done. Interesting that there's another tick borne illness - maybe that's what has led to some of the confusion. And no, it wasn't ArminLabs thankfully :)
  13. AdAstraPerAspera

Puzzled About POTS

Hey again everyone!!! I know this is late but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry that I didn't reply :( University exams hit me hard and I went into survival mode for the rest of the year and completely forgot to check posts on here/go over notifications. Just read them all now, and they're so...
  14. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused about Lyme

Hey guys! I'm about to try to start university, and I really need to improve my health. I'm trying to decide if Lyme disease is a useful thing to try and treat, or if it's just a dead end for me :( as it's such a polarised issue (lots of people and doctors talking about false positives and...
  15. AdAstraPerAspera

Comment by 'AdAstraPerAspera' in 'Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes Ratio Seen in CFS and other diseases'

Thank you so much! I've been researching this when I can and it's really useful to have this chart putting a lot of the F/B ratio implications together for CFS :)
  16. AdAstraPerAspera

Puzzled About POTS

No, I haven't! I'm in Aus, so I'll try looking it up :) Thank you
  17. AdAstraPerAspera

Puzzled About POTS

Hi, I'm a 19 year old with ME/CFS and POTS, a diagnosis I received when I was 14. I have been told by my doctor that my POTS is severe as compared to what she's seen in other CFS patients, and I definitely find it greatly disrupts my life, as I constantly feel on the verge of blacking out and...
  18. AdAstraPerAspera

Headache & Dizziness/Vertigo for Months

Hi Elisa, I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble :( have you experienced any tachychardia or heart discomfort alongside the dizziness and headaches? And does standing make it worse? Just wondering if you have investiaged POTS as a potential cause as I know when I don't manage my POTS...
  19. AdAstraPerAspera

Describe your PEM

1) When did your PEM start? At the same time of illness or later? My PEM was one of the first symptoms of my illness. Though mine developed as a gradual onset rather than a sudden decline in health, that and the symptoms of POTS were my first experiences of ill health. 2) What does your PEM...
  20. AdAstraPerAspera

Confused over metabolic dysfunction research vs ketosis

Hi Ravn! How my doctor explained this to me (and I'm currently just a pleb with brain fog so please forgive me if I'm wrong) was that our metabolic pathways are ALL damaged, where the chain of breaking down food into energy doesn't function properly. However, breaking down carbohydrates is the...
  21. AdAstraPerAspera

What is the mechanism of feeling tired but not being able to sleep?

You have my sympathy, Chris - I always have the same problem and as many others have said, I find it worsens when I've over-exerted myself. I definitely think it's linked to adrenal fatigue, especially because of how many people link the issue to increased heart rate (I have a lot of trouble...
  22. AdAstraPerAspera

Would I be able to work as a nurse or GP? Health struggles!

Oh you have all my sympathy, so ridiculous the NHS doesn't recognise how sick you and so many other people are :( I know the struggle of being a homebody - something as simple as waiting in line for food can be deadly - slightly ruins a night out haha. Thank you for the advice, it looks like a...
  23. AdAstraPerAspera

Oh wow. Thank you, it's always great to have some hope! I've never even heard of Rituximab. I hope the results are successful! How does it work?
  24. AdAstraPerAspera

I'm so sorry that you struggled with the work. Thank you for the advice, I definitely don't want to sacrifice my health or treatment for a job that I couldn't end up doing!
  25. AdAstraPerAspera

Great suggestions Trish, thanks a ton! I have already considered clinical psychology, that's actually my current major :thumbsup: the problem I've realised with it is, I think I'm a bit too empathetic - hearing people's sad stories all day and not being able to help the root of the problem would...
  26. AdAstraPerAspera

I'm looking into it right now. Thank you so much for the advice - nurses being on their feet is a really good point, especially as I struggle to stand for long periods of time with the POTS symptoms. Looks like I could be much better off with a microscope and a chair than a stethoscope and a...
  27. AdAstraPerAspera

Thank you Hutan! I hadn't considered that, I didn't even know it was an option. Looking at everyone's replies, I definitely think nursing/GP work would be too much of a toll on my health so I'm looking at what other options I have now, including biomedicine and public health! That could be a...
  28. AdAstraPerAspera

I totally agree. I've started looking into a biomedicine degree - and it looks like it would be much easier to study/work part time and manage the load. Brain fog gets really frustrating but I think I'd enjoy the mental challenge of it if I am careful with my energy levels. I'm inquiring about...
  29. AdAstraPerAspera

Thank you so so much Kati! :hug: I completely agree, and I would never want to risk the health of any patients because I was too sick to take care of them myself! I'm concerned about talking too, but I love people so much and I was so social before I got sick - I just hope my health improves...
  30. AdAstraPerAspera

Hi all, I'm 19 and just beginning university in Australia. I've lived with moderately severe ME/CFS and POTS for around 4 years now, I experience severe fatigue and have days where I can't leave bed, along with the general cold/flu symptoms, insomnia, GI issues and most debilitatingly apart...