• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. A

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Thanks for the reminder about the potato hack @whodathunkit ! I should try and do another one too soonish. For anyone who hasn't tried it, it is really worthwhile as it seems to act as a reset, and the good gutbugs LOVE all the potatoes. It depends on how weak you are as there can be a bit of an...
  2. A

@whodathunkit - That's great you did the potato hack. :thumbsup: There is something kind of good about it I found. My gut is definitely in much worse shape than yours, and I did find it made a difference. I think it is definitely worth trying for anyone who is a bit stumped. I did it for about...
  3. A

I still haven't reintroduced it. Between getting used to the orafti inulin, and the CB, and then little bits of oat bran I didn't want to add it into the mix. Dunno if it helps, but pretty much everything makes me constipated. Sometimes the first couple of days on something I'm fine, but it...
  4. A

Hello, I'm afraid I'm not very good at isolating what exactly is happening, all I know is that the oat bran is making me feel horrible and inflamed. I guess it is the immune system turning on. No real idea though. I've taken a little break and might start back up again tomorrow as the other...
  5. A

Thanks. yes it does suck. This whole thing does! Anyway, yes I have tried steel cut, that is the strange bit, I've been eating them for a couple of months now and I've been fine with them. It's when I add in the oat bran that just kills me. I've been persevering mostly because there was a...
  6. A

@Sidereal Wondering how you are going with the Oat Bran. I've been taking half a teaspoon for a few weeks now, and I can't seem to adjust to it. Like everything else it basically makes me feel awful. :grumpy: I'm going to drop to 1/4, but I'm also starting to think that it just isn't for me...
  7. A

Great guys! Like I said, don't be surprised if your appetite significantly decreases at first. I was a bit worried. But it did return. Might do it again in a few weeks time as there is something really satisfying about it and I didn't do it for long enough. :thumbsup:
  8. A

Yeah... pesky candida. The salt thing I'm not sure about why. I did still add in a little bit cause I can't live without it! It might have something to do with keeping things as bland as possible. Re-setting the tastebuds as well.
  9. A

Why don't you just add in a little bit of whatever protein you prefer for a bit? Just see how it plays out. Could do it at one or two meals a day. Gradually ease off. Or keep it going For the first day or two I was slightly concerned as my appetite was really depressed. I guess it does that...
  10. A

Hi there sidereal! I've been adding in little bits of oat bran into my steel-cut oats. Like you, I can definitely feel more distal action happening -- weird how you can kind of tell, huh? Was some irritation at first but have kept the dosage pretty low. Wheat bran might be next on the list too...
  11. A

IBS - I need some advice

Bob if you are tolerating potatoes ok, you could try just eating potatoes for a few days. http://vegetablepharm.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-potato-diet_14.html I did it a couple of months ago and it seemed to reset something. It didn't fix everything, I still have major inflammation with preboitics...
  12. A

Thanks Vegas, that was really helpful! Just anecdotally, I found that PHGG didn't produce a huge difference, just a slight increase in an overall sense of well-being. It was the Wheat Dextrin where I really felt as if things were shifting at the distal end. As I've already written, I'm now...
  13. A

Clostridium Butyricum - A Game Changer?

Thanks @JPV and @Gondwanaland, this is a chest infection plus cough out of nowhere, some kind of fluid on the lungs that the CB is reactivating. That candida... lurks everywhere! :sluggish: I did try Mutaflor sometime after my big crash in 2008. I don't remember anything specific from it, but I...
  14. A

Ugh... this stuff is killing me. Sorry. Just needed to vent... :grumpy: Have developed a chest infection off and on ever since staring this. Have been rereading bits of the thread and it seems that others have had something similar. Might be something to do with the drainage from the sinuses...
  15. A

Hmm... yes, some of them radically decreased. I guess 8 weeks is plenty of time, though it would be interesting to know if their butyrate levels continued to decline, or eventually levelled out. Argh, who knows what's going on. The only thing I can come back to is that no one fermentable is...
  16. A

Thanks so much Alice. You've inspired me to bake some more muffins tomorrow. Sweet, without the fresh banana and hopefully with some chestnuts that I happen have lying around. Might be a bit weird... ah well! :whistle: Sidereal, I haven't managed to try baobab yet. It is on the never-ending...
  17. A

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Interesting that you found baobab difficult too. And will let you know if I ever manage to handle more of the orafti than what I'm currently taking! It might be something to stop and come back to. Hard to tell. How are you going with the beetroot and seaweeds? I...
  18. A

@alicec Where are you getting the tiger nuts from? And what are they like? Also, chestnuts in bananna flour muffins is a good idea. Do you have to roast the chestnuts first? :) I never used to have any energy for cooking, but the more this RS thing progresses, the more I'm able, and more...
  19. A

Hi there. I actually started another fibre (which again supposedly targets the distal end) a little while after writing that post, and foolishly simply added a little bit of it to the mix I was taking at the time (rather than stopping everything to see how I'd react). The result being a mouth...
  20. A

Oh thanks. Missed that!
  21. A

Sanum Therapy : Homeopathy to reduce Candida and Fungi

Hi Lou, I still haven't tried this. It is definitely still on my list, and am reading everyone elses reports with interest, however between flare-ups from other things I'm going to wait a few more months. :)
  22. A

Totally agree. It is all about the terrain. Healthy people with healthy guts have been found to have all sorts of microbiota considered undesirable. The environment is what determines whether it is detrimental to health or not. Re what to start when, there are no real rules here. It really...
  23. A

I finally got myself some Miyarisan. Yay :balloons: I'm one of the ones that has also tried the AOR3, so didn't initially feel the urgency to try this, but finally curiosity got the better of me, and I'm glad it did! I'm only on my 3rd day of 1 pill per day, and it is having definite effects on...
  24. A

Thanks Sasha! :balloons: Yes, maybe it isn't good to push through bad symptoms. I really don't know anymore. :thumbdown: Feel very confused at the moment for some reason. I think mostly because my flare up is fairly intense at the moment and it as if little progress has been made. But I will...
  25. A

Yeah, it's pretty weird! :D I usually mix whatever powders I'm taking with some yoghurt, and the first time I tried this it turned it into some kind of sticky concrete... ! :confused: Huh? Never touched it since. Might try some capsules at some point instead. Thanks! Hey, what are other...
  26. A

Same for me. Started with low doses and then slowly increased. Am still on my first container of it, though nearly finished. Will try a different brand to see if there is any difference. I was one of the ones who found 1/4 of a teaspoon of PS super inflammatory. I guess I didn't 'push through'...
  27. A

Yes of course. good question. The ones I mostly rotate between are: Mung bean starch Potato starch Green banana flour Acacia Larch (-- seems totally unique in its actions, and will probably keep taking this one off and on indefinitely) Now's Apple Fiber Now's Inulin small amounts of...
  28. A

Hello all, I've been meaning to tell you all about some new prebiotics that I've been taking. One is Wheat Dextrin, or trade name Benefiber. The other is Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum (PHGG). The Wheat Dextrin in particular has set off huge detox reactions and has had a profound effect. It...
  29. A

Totes agree! Said way more articulately than I can!
  30. A

This is just my take, but I found that the probiotics that I needed the most where ones which produced the strongest reaction. Ones where there was no reaction, essentially did nothing, and didn't adjust the gut flora to a significant degree. Can you crush the pill and grow it in some kind of...