• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

What has your experience been with butyrate supplementation?

I'm thinking of trying butyrate for my very inflamed and leaky gut. Has anyone else tried this? What kind of results did you have? Specifically, I'm interested especially in those who have had anxiety stemming from gut issues and whether or not butyrate helped to alleviate that along with the...
  2. S

Who has had Covid-19?

I have long Covid (into my 5th week now), and I wanted to see if I could learn from the experiences of others here. I was not well before I got Covid. No CFS diagnosis, but definitely fit the profile. Also important possibly: this is my second time with Covid. The first time was somewhat...
  3. S

Zinc Picolinate and Insomnia

I just experienced the same problem last night after taking 30 mgs zinc pic in the afternoon. Zero sleep last night and now I'm having palpitations. It's so irritating because I desperately need it to overcome this cough I've had for 6 weeks. My lungs felt so much better after the zinc, but...
  4. S

Does anyone think they could have something else?

I wonder if i have Gitelman syndrome. It's a genetic kidney disease that causes potassium, salt, and magnesium wasting. Potassium, magnesium, and salt supplementation help me a lot.
  5. S

strange new symptoms

@Sundancer and @Mary Hi! I'm jumping in late to this conversation. I just wanted to ask you both a question about your potassium deficiency symptoms. I'm recovering from the horrid flu that's been going around this year and my potassium needs seem to have skyrocketed. My question is: do...
  6. S

The flu...it's BAD

It's already week 5 and I'm still coughing and short of breath. I'm thinking it could be a secondary infection like Mycoplasma pneumonia. I had that years ago and I'm sure it didn't clear completely. Still having anxiety, insomnia, and weakness as well. I'm definitely somewhat improved, but...
  7. S

High THC Cannabis - Sleep inducer and MCS Buster (!)

That makes sense to me because the brain detoxes while we sleep and if we're chronically ill, that process may not happen very efficiently. Maybe that morning puff helps you clear the cobwebs of the nights incomplete detoxification process. Just speculation. Maybe edibles would be more...
  8. S

CBN is what THC becomes after it has oxidised. CBN is similar to CBG in that it also is supposedly sedating. Some are experimenting by heating flowers for hours in the oven to carboxilate the THC to CBN. This can also apparently be done by heating CBD oil. Also, flowers left on the plant...
  9. S

This is a really good overview. Mary's medicinals has a product high in CBN and THCa that is for sleep. I really would like to try it but it's quite expensive and I would have to travel three hours to find a dispensary that carries it.
  10. S

Yeah that sounds about right. I develop tolerance to every herb I've ever used on a regular basis. It's irritating. I need to build some variety and put several in rotation I think.
  11. S

Thank you! That's reassuring .
  12. S

I've been looking at a high CBN low THC product that's supposed to be great for sleep. It's slightly psychoactive, which I'm not too excited about, but I need sleep very badly. I've heard reports that CBD without THC helps people with that, but if you're on the severe end of the scale it...
  13. S

I know the threat is exaggerated, but I'm extremely susceptible to tolerance and dependence. It only took a week for me to get hopelessly hooked on xanax. And my son did develop a dependence on marijuana, but he was using excessive amounts recreationally. I assume the threat would be much...
  14. S

What about tolerance or dependence? That's what worries me most. Someone gave hubby some homemade cbd oil but I'm afraid to try it for those reasons. I'm in a horrific crash and can't sleep.
  15. S

How to Stop taking Ambien

Just want to add that Ambien is very similar to benzodiazepines and for some people, can be just as hard to come off of. Cold turkey could be quite dangerous. I definitely would not recommend replacing it with a benzo (Xanax, Restoril, klonopin, etc). My recommendation (as a person who has...
  16. S

The flu...it's BAD

Well it's been almost 3 weeks. I thought I was on the mend, but then I stopped sleeping well. Maybe 3-6 hours per night. Apparently it's not uncommon for even healthy people to experience a post viral depression, and that's what this feels like. It's really what I feared would happen because...
  17. S

The flu...it's BAD

Thank you! Very helpful. I've tried colostrum and it seems to overactivate my immune system in a way that causes pain and inflammation. But I might look for the other two.
  18. S

The flu...it's BAD

I slept a little more last night, so I'm a bit better. Hydrogen peroxide in the ears helped this morning. Also the Bach flower remedies have been helping keep my mood pretty stable.
  19. S

The flu...it's BAD

Thank you! I might try that.
  20. S

The flu...it's BAD

@junkcrap50. I just read those articles. I had already read a couple of them before now. Incidentally, I also read an article today on using high doses of selenium to prevent the cytokine storm. Reminded me to take some.
  21. S

The flu...it's BAD

My nervous system is damaged by two tranquilizer withdrawals and I have autoimmunity, so I have to be super careful about many different types of supplements. I have noticed that olive leaf extract and frankincense essential oil both have a good effect, so I'll get some tomorrow. Also I was...
  22. S

The flu...it's BAD

This is the first time in years my immune system has been normal enough to come down with a flu virus and actually fight it hard. The problem is I don't think I'm really strong enough. This year's strain is incredibly virulent and it's kicking my butt. I'm scared it's going to send me into a...
  23. S

COMT mutation and intolerance to methyl groups

Can anyone help me understand this better? I suspect but do not know that I have the COMT gene mutation because of the way I react to methylated forms of folate and B12. In the past I have had severe panic attacks, insomnia, and even seizures after taking these things. But I suspect that they...
  24. S

Inositol and lithium orotate

@Little Bluestem I take about a quarter teaspoon which I think is 845 mgs.
  25. S

@Mary Benzo withdrawal insomnia is brutal. I've been through a lot of that. I'm glad you found something that works! I'll have to remember that for the future.
  26. S

I just wanted to report that I'm doing better with sleep. On nights when I struggle to sleep I know I can take Inositol and lithium and I will sleep. I only need a very low dose of both and I don't take them every night. Inositol in particular can cause vivid dreams and wakeups because it...
  27. S

Bartter/Gitelman syndrome

Has anyone been diagnosed with one of these? I have struggled with low energy, low blood pressure, and polyurea pretty much my whole life. Now I'm starting to think that what I have has a name and a treatment (besides cfs). What makes me think I might have one of those syndromes is that I have...
  28. S

Potassium troubles

Time to take care of the adrenals I guess. I thought that was what I was doing with the salt, magnesium and potassium. But I guess I pushed too hard. I took a dose of my homeopathic constitutional remedy today. Hoping that will untangle some things.
  29. S

Potassium troubles

I just don't understand how it could have been too much because every time I took a dose I was having low potassium symptoms like muscle twitching and exhaustion and each time it seemed to normalize me. But I guess you can't push an exhausted body to get better that quickly. The low aldosterone...
  30. S

Potassium troubles

I'm so confused! I have been ramping up my potassium dose for the last three days and at first it seemed like such a miracle that I thought my troubles were finally over. Today for the first time I had the energy to take a walk at the park and do other things I couldn't have dreamed of several...