• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Jigsaw

Radioactive Bone Scans - Will Lugol’s Protect Me?

Hi, Am due to have a radioactive bone scan, which uses a radioactive tracer to highlight any areas of bone undergoing changes common to the progression if bone cancer. I can’t find out exactly what the radiotracer is, and am wondering if my daily dose of c.75mg Lugol’s iodine will afford me...
  2. Jigsaw

Underactive thyroid

Indeed :) My own HbA1c has gone down since taking iodine too, and my dry eyes from chemo (10 years ongoing issue) have improved.
  3. Jigsaw

Has Anyone Tried CBD Oil? Which Brand, Strength, Strain, etc., Was Most Effective For You?

@Mylifesobright Ok, have found website, wish they took PayPal, but all very reassuring and impressive reviews which don’t look fake. How did you get on with DNH? You use only the oil, yes? No paste or crystals or the spray? Are you taking it for anxiety and muscle/mind relaxation only, or...
  4. Jigsaw

Has Anyone Tried CBD Oil? Which Brand, Strength, Strain, etc., Was Most Effective For You?

Thanks, @Mylifesobright, that’s really useful. My skin came out in a bright red rash from applying organic coconut oil (the first and only application) so it’s safe to say I’d be intolerant of it internally as I reacted so badly externally. Annoying, because I love all of coconut oil’s amazing...
  5. Jigsaw

Any UK CBD users out there? Thanks @Learner1, I take 5-HTP and 1g magnesium at bedtime. Helps my sleep latency and my mood. Can’t take theanine or GABA or melatonin. Valerian is ok. The others make me hugely anxious. Yes, yes, I know they shouldn’t, but they do.
  6. Jigsaw

Oh pants. I should have said - am obv interested in EVERYONE’s experience of CBD, but I’m in UK and need a UK-available product. Not at all sure how UK Customs and Excise would overreact to a bottle of innocent CBD!
  7. Jigsaw

Hi @Mary, Thanks for that :) As you may remember, I’m in the same hypersensitivity boat as you. I remember our conversations on sleep supplements - is the melatonin still working for you? It crucifies me. What % etc was your classic CBD? All the higher concentrations seem ludicrously...
  8. Jigsaw

Hi all, Been off here for some time, so a bit out of the loop. Iodine has improved some aspects of my health, but I keep hearing that CBD oil is highly effective as a pain reliever, as a mood and anxiety lifter, and even in reducing fatigue. Am bamboozled by the sheer volume of info out...
  9. Jigsaw

lithium experiences

It really depends on what you’re trying to treat or correct or replace. The “normal” high dose for the majority of breast cancer pts is 100mg/d, ditto for treating fibrocystic breast dissease. One of “the iodine doctors” was on T4, took 50mg/d for a year in order to get off his thyroid meds...
  10. Jigsaw

lithium experiences

They certainly weren’t a good combo for me, as previously reported after only two occasions of taking one LO concurrent with high dose Lugol’s!
  11. Jigsaw

Vitamin C for sleep (seriously!) - ameliorates excitotoxicity

No, you're doing it in the wrong place. Your Adam's apple is in the bottom centre of your neck. The groove that runs between two distinct muscles runs from just below the POINT of the jaw, which is just in front of your ear. The angled bit of your jaw bone. The point of your jaw is not your...
  12. Jigsaw

Vitamin C for sleep (seriously!) - ameliorates excitotoxicity

@Kierkegaard It is fact of physiology that EVERYONE's cortisol zeroes off at night-time. No-one has any readable levels of cortisol at night-time, under normal circumstances. No-one. Cortisol is a stress hormone, i.e., it is produced to cope with short-term stress (along with a huge array of...
  13. Jigsaw

Dr Lubna Aslam - Anyone Have Experience Of Seeing Her For FM?

Hi everyone, Been off here for ages, so apologies to anyone who's tagged or messaged me....meanwhile, I've got an appointment coming up (in an effort to find a more pro-active, interested, helpful rheumy than the one I've been seeing for 5 yrs+) with a Dr Lubna Aslam. I've googled her, and she...
  14. Jigsaw

Hair Mineral Testing

What dose were you on when you crashed? Were you doing the salt push on a regular basis throughout the day, and according to your detox signs and symptoms? Were you taking selenium, mag, Vit C, B2, B3, alongside the iodine? Were you taking Lugol's, or another form, like Nascent? I have been...
  15. Jigsaw

Does Anyone Have Any Experience Of/ Knowledge About SSKI vs. Lugol's, Please?

Thanks. So BP/EP/USP KIs all safe to ingest, then? Does the KI used in Lugol's have to be ACS/Reagent grade, or doesn't it matter if it's the same BP/EP/USP grade that you've said is fine for SSKI? Just seen one KI stating ACS purity but listing various other metals etc as 5ppm, which seems...
  16. Jigsaw

@alicec, Speaking of iodide, is it safe to use USP/BP/EP grade KI instead of ACS grade to make SSKI?
  17. Jigsaw

Help Needed - What's The Difference Between Ordinary, Sublimed, and Re-Sublimed Iodine Crystals?

-But it's stronger since taking LO? Maybe you could monitor it again the next time you take LO. What dose are you using of LO?
  18. Jigsaw

I bet they are! But the placebo effect is unsustainable in physical conditions, and non-existent in animals other than humans. Dogs, cats, horses, rats, mice have no idea that substance x provokes reaction y, do they?
  19. Jigsaw

Help Needed - What's The Difference Between Ordinary, Sublimed, and Re-Sublimed Iodine Crystals?

They go on to list the side effects as things like disliking the taste of iodine! Or that may have been a different study. I'm foggy today, too. Struggling to keep my eyes open, and I'm trying (and failing) to watch Holby for about the sixth time today. No concentration :-( Changing my Lugol's...
  20. Jigsaw

Abraham, Flechas, Hakala, The Original Internist http://www.optimox.com/pdfs/IOD01.pdf Several tables summarising effects of different forms of iodine. Eskin, Ghent, et al 1994 http://iodineresearch.com/files/eskin_ghent_1995_iodine_iodide_rat_thyroid_mammary_gland2.pdf "..iodine distribution...
  21. Jigsaw

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8221402 Canadian Journal of Surgery, Ghent, et al, 1993. "RESULTS: Study 1: 70% of subjects treated with sodium iodide had clinical improvement in their breast disease, but the rate of side effects was high; 40% of patients treated with protein-bound iodide...
  22. Jigsaw

Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2000. Kilbane et al. https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-lookup/doi/10.1210/jcem.85.3.6442 "The relatively low or absent iodine content of breast carcinoma tissues investigated in the present study is supportive of the previously expressed...
  23. Jigsaw

Which enzymes? The only iodine-related enzymes I have any knowledge of are the deiodinases involved in T4»T3 conversion. I'd like to understand the others.
  24. Jigsaw

Thanks. Yes, agreed. Placebo - Really? How interesting. What did they put that down to, education? Society? Belief systems?
  25. Jigsaw

Re: absorption - whilst it's clear that I have zero knowledge of chemistry rules/laws etc, and equally zero knowledge of the chemical characteristics of any nutrients, personal experience (plus advice from a pharmacist in Cheam re: absorption of fats being facilitated by taking such supplements...
  26. Jigsaw

I couldn't agree more! I've lost count of the times my particular body gives an entirely different response from that specified in the literature. I personally attribute this to me having various dysfunctions in my conversion and/or neutralising/detox enzymes. I don't get rid of toxic...
  27. Jigsaw

@alicec, re: I2 (iodine) action seperate from I~ (iodide) action. Not the ref I was looking for, but - http://iodineresearch.com/files/aceves_2005_iodine_gatekeeper_mammary_gland.pdf "In mammary carcinomas induced by DMBA in rats, Lugol’s solution (mixture of I− and I2) supple- mentation...
  28. Jigsaw

No, I can't agree with that :) I have always taken asc acid in quantity, often to BIP, and it's never ever had this impact on my skin in the 25 plus years I've been doing that. I used less than c.100mg to oxidise the Lugol's, so if 10g plus hasn't ever had that effect, why would 100mg? Above...