• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. B

Tachycardia palpitation attack after sleep?

This sounds like reactive hypoglycemia to me. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/reactive-hypoglycemia.html
  2. B

Low dose Naltrexone

Why do you think that an ESR of 2-3 is too low?
  3. B

UBiome co-founders are placed on leave amid FBI investigation into company

Right. They billed my insurance ~$3,000 for the single test. So I assumed they would bill the same for each subsequent test in the series. Of course, there's the possibility that my insurer might have denied those subsequent claims.
  4. B

@vision blue I didn't finish the series because I didn't want my insurance company to pay an additional ~$15,000 even though it would have been at no additional cost to me. The US medical insurance industry is very broken, but I'm of the opinion that I'd be compounding that by getting them to...
  5. B

More confirmation on the importance of B2 in methylation

From Chris Kresser: If you follow a lot of health blogs and podcasts, you’ve probably heard of the MTHFR gene. People with mutations in this gene have problems with methylation and folate metabolism, which can translate into a wide variety of signs and symptoms including: Fatigue Brain fog...
  6. B

I asked because sometimes other conditions can feel like tachycardia. For example, if you have reflux and your lower esophageal sphincter (LES) starts spasming, this can feel like tachycardia. This can often stop if you've been lying down and then sit or stand up. I experienced this for a...
  7. B

I didn't have to pay anything. No, I don't know what they were studying. I assume that they just wanted to collect additional data. They didn't provide information on any interventions.
  8. B

https://www.statnews.com/2019/05/01/ubiome-co-founders-are-placed-on-leave-amid-fbi-investigation-into-company/ This is just a "be careful out there" warning as there are some unscrupulous companies trying to get you or your insurance to fund them. My own story: A practitioner I was seeing...
  9. B

Does it stop when you stand up or sit up? Do you know for a fact that it's tachycardia vs some other sensation that feels like tachycardia? In other words, you've measured your heart rate and know that it's elevated? Do you experience any stomach issues when this happens: feel bloated or any...
  10. B

Gut Bacteria Linked to Depression Identified

It's entirely possible if not probable that the symptoms of IBS-D have more than one root cause and/or that the herbs @Rufous McKinney is taking (I'd also like to know what they are) have the same down-stream effects as certain probiotics.
  11. B

has anyone tried Dr Nemechek Vagus Nerve?

Just did my first treatment. I'm using a TENS 7000 + black ear clips: one attached to the ear lobe and one attached to the tragus. I may try to construct a homebrew ear clip to try on the concha at some point. No positive or negative results to report as yet although my understanding is that...
  12. B

Paresthesia when eating food

Paresthesia is associated with mast cell disorders. So I wonder whether this response after eating is due to a spike in histamine levels. You also said: All of these things can cause vasodilation which is also associated with increased histamine.
  13. B

Low Testosterone (Men)

Supplementing with Shilajit really concerns me due to the potential contamination with heavy metals and other toxic elements (mycotoxins, etc). I realize that Jarrow uses PrimaVie shilajit which is supposedly ultra purified. However, a while back I started using pure shilajit (PurBlack brand)...
  14. B

has anyone tried Dr Nemechek Vagus Nerve?

Does it matter that the current is not passing directly through the tragus or concha? The instructions on HealthRising appear to be for modifying a single ear clip so that the current passes through one side of the clip to the other. In other words, you're hooking up the positive and negative...
  15. B

Dr. Mark Hyman's 10-Episode Broken Brain Series

Right. There's definitely some arrogance there on the part of functional medicine practitioners. Although a somewhat different type of arrogance than is exhibited by the traditional medical establishment. One functional medicine practitioner I really like is Chris Kresser who seems to have no...
  16. B

Increasing GABA naturally

Unless I misunderstood, @Rufous McKinney' s use of Xanax was occasional at 0.25mg (2.5 mgs valium equivalent which is a relatively low dose). And there were no reported problems moving from a dose of 0.5 to 0.25mg. This leads me to believe that there would not be significant withdrawal either...
  17. B

Increasing GABA naturally

Are you using 0.25 mg of Xanax occasionally? If so, I'll bet you'll have no problem stopping. Xanax has a relatively short half-life. Some constant Xanax users find that they start having inter-dose withdrawal symptoms because of this. If you're using it occasionally and not already...
  18. B

Dr. Mark Hyman's 10-Episode Broken Brain Series

I am currently seeing a functional medicine doctor. My second as a matter of fact. The first was one of Dr Hyman's associates at the UltraWellness center. It was *very* expensive. I made some progress, but I plateaued at which point it was no longer worth what I was paying. But I learned...
  19. B

Anyone have problems with Losartan?

Interesting. It took a while for me to experience side-effects. Light sensitivity wasn't one of them thank goodness...
  20. B

Thanks again @Hip. I couldn't have tolerated the level of pain I experienced long-term. I was very happy when it finally receded a while after I stopped the Losartan. Just to clarify, I haven't had any herx-like reactions to Doxy, IV-C, or glutathione
  21. B

Interesting theory @Hip . If this is true, I'm not sure why I wouldn't have gotten a similar reaction from taking a 6-week course of Doxycycline after a suspected tick bite or from the high-dose vitamin C and glutathione IVs I periodically do. You could of course make the case that anyone with...
  22. B

All very interesting. I've been off of Losartan for a while now and on Lisinopril 10mg for about a week and a half. I haven't had the nerve to check my BP yet. The muscle/joint pain has completely resolved. My lab results came back and my K was 4.3 (3.5-4.3). This is in the middle of the...
  23. B

Peridontal disease, chronic (occult) inflammation and neuroinflammation

I wonder if oil pulling with coconut oil would help here?
  24. B

B2 I love you!

Thanks for the link @renski . This supports a lot of the other conventional wisdom about the importance of B2. It also shows that many of the "experts" can change direction on a dime and offer different advice than they had offered only a short time before. So take your liver with a grain of...
  25. B

Fish oil causing anxiety?

Strangely enough, 1 small caffeinated coffee actually tends to be calming for me. I don't eat or take any of the other things you mentioned.
  26. B

Question about abx and SIBO

I see. Yes, that would have been a pretty exotic request for a walk in clinic. And probably for most traditional gastroenterologists as well unfortunately.
  27. B

Question about abx and SIBO

Any reason (other than the cost) that you don't want to try Rifaximin? This is the primary antibiotic prescribed for SIBO.
  28. B

My doctor ordered some tests including electrolytes and kidney function so we'll see. Unfortunately, I had already been off the Losartan for a few days prior to these tests so they might not give an accurate picture of what was going on with me at that time. Also, as I recall, I was eating...
  29. B

However, this paper also says: It was also notable that the tetrazolobiphenyls angiotensin II inhibitors (Olmesartan medoxomil, valsartan, and candesartan cilexetil) had reasonable antibiotic activity (Table 2); however, other members of this class revealed no antibacterial activity under the...
  30. B

Some really good information on "pre-treatment" for mold illness

Just received this in my inbox: http://biotoxinjourney.com/step-0-pre-treat/ If you're suffering from mold illness (and even if you're not), there's some great information in this blog. This latest post contains a wealth of information from Dr Andrew Heyman on treating CIRS. Some of this...