• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. C

BBC Radio 4: Children with ME

I listened to this earlier. It was a good programme that covered most of the main points in a fair way. Yes, it would have been nice to have had more coverage of the biomedical evidence and a more thorough explanation of the problems with the PACE trial (et al) but time is limited and the main...
  2. C

Thought for the day

That should not come as a surprise! I agree it's not perfect. Without any prior knowledge the listener could come away with the wrong impression. But, she is a vicar and mother talking from her own experience rather than a seasoned campaigner/advocate. As wherearemypillows says above, it's very...
  3. C

Occupational model for preventing ME

Several more comments have been posted on this article, all bar one critical. The editor of the website (or section of it) has responded with an invitation to contribute towards another article on ME and HR/occupational health. Any takers?
  4. C

Headaches when walking

Interesting thread. I experience exertion-related headaches similar to the ones you describe, in addition to constant headaches that have a mixture of migraine and tension-type symptoms. They tend to be worse first thing in the morning, and are made worse by disturbed sleep, prolonged...
  5. C

Struggling with work at home

Do you have, or can you borrow a bicycle? Riding a bike gently uses only 1/5 of the energy (in terms of calories) consumed by walking.
  6. C

An open letter to Psychological Medicine, again! by D Tuller et al

Farcical! By his logic, the MMR-Autism papers should not have been retracted from The Lancet, as people can read criticism of them elsewhere. It really is an indefensible position if you value the role of a scientific journal as a place for supposedly verified, reliable information. The tone of...
  7. C

Permanent headache solution?

You have my sympathy. I've also had a constant headache ever since I went down with this illness 4 1/2 years ago. Fortunately it has got less severe as I have generally improved but it's still troublesome. In fact it’s probably almost tied with the fatigue as my most troublesome symptom. Your...
  8. C

Liver function test abnormalities

Thanks for the further replies. Interestingly, @erin, I also had a few slightly off thyroid tests (overactive) and high cholesterol, though the endocrinologist thought it was not significant. I’ve no doubt she’s right, but it’s interesting to wonder if these might be pointing to whatever the...
  9. C

Thanks for the replies everyone. The hepatologist said much the same as you, @Kati – that my ALT was 90, he worries when it's 900. I'm not sure if they checked my gallbladder but I imagine they did and found nothing – I had a total of 3 ultrasound scans and an MRI, on which they found nothing...
  10. C

Hi everyone, new user here. I wondered if others with ME/CFS have abnormal liver function test results? Ever since I went down with this illness I've had a slightly elevated ALT, and shorty after it started (I had an acute onset) I began to get upper right quadrant pain, which has persisted...