• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Arc

MEGA 'Why broad definition should be used as a starting point - by Prof Stephen Holgate'

I wonder if that's right. Certainly wasn't for me: I was severe within a couple of years. I'm guessing that most of us who wind up here have been ill for a long time, like me, but we might not be a very representative sample.
  2. Arc

Fitbit or similar - could it be of use? and how?

I bought a Fitbit One in the end that clips onto a pocket and counts steps (not brilliantly accurately) and floors climbed (generally good, but sometimes counts hills on my mobility scooter as multiple flights of stairs. It's biggest use so far has been showing me I wasn't that much less active...
  3. Arc

Fitbit or similar - could it be of use? and how?

Can anyone recommend a fitness tracker that measures stairs/floors? Thanks
  4. Arc

Higher Dementia Risk Linked to Some Common Medications

One issue with this study is that problems with depression and sleep can be early signs of undiagnosed dementia, and people might wind up taking tricyclics like amitriptyline to treat the early depression/sleep problems due to dementia. That could explain the link between tricylics and dementia...
  5. Arc

ABSTRACT (with links to relevant sections) ABSTRACT | INTRODUCTION | METHODS | RESULTS | DISCUSSION | CONCLUSIONS | ARTICLE INFORMATION | REFERENCES Importance Many medications have anticholinergic effects. In general, anticholinergic-induced cognitive impairment is considered reversible on...
  6. Arc

My fifth post, so I can finally post links (think this is protection against spammers so fair enough)
  7. Arc

Tricyclics taken by ME patients are anticholinergics linked to dementia Sorry to arrive so late to this thread, but I'm new here and I'd like to discuss this research a bit because I think a lot of ME patients are prescribed tricyclic "antidepressants" at low doses to help with sleep and/or...