• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Augmentum

Fasting-like diet reduces multiple sclerosis symptoms: applications for ME?

I've tried intermittent fasting. One 3 day fasting and quite a few 24-hours. I was on a low carb, keto diet at the time. I gave it 5 weeks before I realized I had made myself much worse. It made me sooo weak. I really, really regret doing it. I can't seem to "recover" to the level of functioning...
  2. Augmentum

POTS greatly improved by beta blocker

Thank you! Yes, I'll have to ask his doctor. I find it quite worrying. But he had difficulties getting to sleep last night and he feels worse, or sluggish as he puts it, today...so maybe that can explain it
  3. Augmentum

This afternoon I checked my son's BP and HR, an hour and a half, after taking the pill. BP was 124/80 and 111/69, HR between 97-116. Does this mean that he has developed tolerance to the propranolol? Do you have to up the dosage to keep HR down? His resting HR is higher now than before he...
  4. Augmentum

His resting HR was between 78-100 before the medication and is now 65-70. BP was high aswell and is now normal for his age
  5. Augmentum

Thank you @Inester7 Did you notice if your night sweats actually stopped for a period when you first started taking Propranolol? Or had you pinned it down to foods you'd eaten before you started taking the beta blocker? My son was low on ferritin and vitamin D about a year ago, but his levels...
  6. Augmentum

My teenager has been very ill with ME and POTS. He's been housebound and mostly bedridden this last year. He's also been having bad night sweats for a long time. This has gradually gotten worse...and the last 4-5 months it's been so bad that I've had to change his bedding every day as it's been...
  7. Augmentum

Creepy Crawley: Obesity in adolescents with chronic fatigue syndrome

I agree, lack of activity does not cause obesity. It would be far more interesting to see a study done on gut bacteria in patients/adolescents with CFS/ME. As there have been studies linking low bacterial richness in the gut to obesity and metabolic syndrome. A currently unknown gut bacteria...
  8. Augmentum

Fludrocortisone and headaches

Seems like headaches are a normal side effect to taking fludrocortisone. And it might raise intracranial pressure, as Alisha12 mentioned http://pubmedcentralcanada.ca/pmcc/articles/PMC3390096/ "Fludrocortisone increases plasma volume in patients with POTS[31],[34]due to salt and water...