• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. J

Those who have stopped methyl supps due to bad reaction, how long did it take to get back to normal?

I apologize to @krzysiek.s and others for the very, very long delay in replying to this. To give a brief update, I have spent the last three years gradually improving, with a very mixed year in 2017, a much better 2018 and having spent most of 2019 at what I would more or less consider my...
  2. J

Those who have stopped methyl supps due to bad reaction, how long did it take to get back to normal?

So I guess I'm updating monthly - this one has been really up and down. The sinus issues got me off to a bad start, it took them weeks to clear and I'm still having a rough time. I'll go from fine to feeling weird/spacey/crappy several times a day. We're creeping up on a year since I started...
  3. J

Hi guys - update time So overall I've continued to improve. After the frustrating low point I was at when I last posted I bounced back and felt substantially better. It seemed like I was "sweating out" something in a sense. In any event, I got to enjoy my last few days in Tokyo with no real...
  4. J

Are you getting better with this approach?

Personally, I've had a bad experience with methylation supplements. I have a thread where I discuss this in more detail, but essentially, I'm significantly worse now than when I started methylation almost a year ago. I chalk this up primarily to carelessness and lack of professional supervision...
  5. J

Another bad day. Energy was OK, but I went for a walk and I was so hot, sweaty and dizzy, even in the Tokyo winter, that I almost had to stop and go home. Interestingly, after I sat down and had lunch the symptoms basically all went away. This might point towards one of the possible nutrient...
  6. J

@erinnnrisinggg It certainly could have. Vitamin D has always been a bit low, so I guess that's a possibility. I just don't know. There are so many possibilities, and a lot of conflicting information about issues that can come up and treatments. I told myself going into this that it wouldn't...
  7. J

AdB12 weird response?

Interesting thread. It seems Adb12 may be a lot more potent than some expect. I am curious to hear from those who have had reactions. I am positive that I reacted to it the first time I took it, but it was harmless enough - some swelling and itching on my cuticles that went away. My lip swelled...
  8. J

Sorry for the late reply @erinnnrisinggg - yes, I find that I too need to continue taking lots of potassium, mostly as coconut water. No question it helps. I'm still taking niacin occasionally too. To give an update - over 3 months since stopping all supps and I'm stil in the process of a full...
  9. J

Hi caledonia. Interesting thought about the restless legs. I hadn't thought of that. My bed definitely is a mess when I wake up - more so than usual. I'd been taking cal/mag together, but stopped when I moved back here. Hmm... I am positive that there is an allergic or immune component to all...
  10. J

Hi all - it's been about a month now, so I figure it's time for an update. I've been going heavy on potassium as suggested here, and without question it appears to be helping. I was much more active my last few weeks in Tokyo, and I noticed a return of that "get up and go" energy (the "dance...
  11. J

Appreciate everybody's input. This kind of goes back to what I was saying about methylation being a bit of a minefield, and never knowing what's going to happen if you move in one direction or the other. Thankfully forums like this exist for support, but as @Sherpa and @lakesarecool said you...
  12. J

Hi @Mary , Thanks for the reply. Very interesting! Potassium had been mentioned before - do you know if bananas are a valid source of it? That's the only place I've gotten it aside from my multivitamin. I can't say the bananas did much re fatigue or the other symptoms, but then, I don't know if...
  13. J

Thanks, @Sherpa . I've tried ribose and did have good results re: energy, but also got lightheaded. I am living in Tokyo and dating a wonderful woman, so I'm still stuck in that old "student" lifestyle. I was getting away with it before, but it's almost certainly slowing my recovery down now...
  14. J

need advice for weight training

I'll just reiterate the advice some others have given you: listen to your body. As my doctor says, your mind will lie to you in a minute, but your body won't. Strenuous exercise of any sort is a privilege for people with CFS/adrenal fatigue whatever you want to call it. I've spent the last 3...
  15. J

Hey Sherpa, Good to hear from you. I've followed your posts here and on CureZone for a couple of years; you were one of the main inspirations for me as a "success story." Our situations actually track pretty closely: I started out treating myself as an adrenal case, and managed to get to a high...
  16. J

Despite having high hopes, and getting off to a good start initially, the methylation protocol hasn't been a good experience for me, as I outlined here. I'm not sure what happened. Methylation seems like a bit of a minefield that's hard to navigate, with many different theories about what causes...
  17. J

Too much ADB12, not enough folate/MB12? Detox?

Hi - thanks for the response. I've wondered about those as well. I am currently unsure if it's better to try and push forward and balance out any deficiencies or imbalances with what I'm currently taking, or stop the methylation protocol and return to baseline, then possibly start out again...
  18. J

Too much ADB12, not enough folate/MB12? Detox?

Here's the (kind of) quick version: I started methylation about 5 months ago (early May) and I've had some ups and downs. I started on 1mg MB12, and 1 tablet of Thorne B-12 Complex. Some mild energy gains but nothing major. But, in mid-July, I slowly started adding in ADB12 (Source Naturals...
  19. J

I've mostly recovered, but I'm not quite 100% yet. Is the methylation cycle the key?

Hi all, I'll try to keep this brief; as many of you know, it's very easy to get carried away when describing your experiences so I'll try to get to the point. I'm a 28 year-old male; I've had health problems since I was 15. First, it was digestive, then, fatigue. I crashed 8 years ago and have...