• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Hip

Seeking Recommendations for Vasodilators Effective in Treating ME/CFS

ME/CFS is known to have diminished blood flow to the brain, so if you want cerebral vasodilators which increase blood flow though the brain microcirculation, then there are several supplements which are demonstrated to help: Brain Blood Vessel Vasodilators: Vinpocetine increases cerebral...
  2. Hip

List of ME/CFS Recovery and Improvement Stories

Let's keep our fingers crossed that it does hold.
  3. Hip

ME as a permenant damage to the central nervous system

This viral "hit and run" theory of ME/CFS is one of the oldest theories. This is the idea is that during the acute viral infection, some permanent physical damage is caused in the brain or in some other important area of the body, and ME/CFS appears as a result of that permanent damage. One...
  4. Hip

List of ME/CFS Recovery and Improvement Stories

Sounds interesting, thanks very much for posting you story. If these improvement maintain themselves in a few months time, I will add the story to the list. Though it's not uncommon to see benefits like this disappear after a while. I had this with the antidepressant Wellbutrin: two weeks of...
  5. Hip

M.A.D.D. maybe your reason for cfs? (1-2% chance for Adenosine monophosphate deaminase deficiency type 1)

Bullshit. There is no suggestion in the scientific literature adenosine monophosphate deaminase deficiency is caused by anything other than genetic mutations.
  6. Hip

M.A.D.D. maybe your reason for cfs? (1-2% chance for Adenosine monophosphate deaminase deficiency type 1)

To check your 23andme SNP results to see if you have the adenosine monophosphate deaminase deficiency type 1 (AMPD1) allele, note that the ID for this SNP is rs17602729, according to Wikipedia. So on 23andme, you can find your allele for this rs17602729 SNP HERE. According to SNPedia, in your...
  7. Hip

George Monbiot in The Guardian: ‘You don’t want to get better’: the outdated treatment of ME/CFS patients is a national scandal

Excellent article by journalist George Monbiot. It's not often that you get a journalist who understands the whole history of the disastrous psychologisation of ME/CFS, but this article sums up the story nicely.
  8. Hip

Anyone here having damage of Central Nervous System because of CMV?

I don't know, but I found some papers which provide tricin content of various foodstuffs. This paper says Oryza sativa (Asian rice) leaves contain tricin at 7,060 mg per kg = 7 mg per gram. This paper says Oryza sativa culms (ie, shoots) there is only 0.45 mg per gram. By my estimates, an...
  9. Hip

One third of the ivermectin COVID studies shown to be fraudulent

In terms of ivermectin's utility for acute COVID infection, studies have suggested that ivermectin may help prevent death from COVID via its ability to kill Strongyloides infection, in countries where Strongyloides is highly prevalent in human populations, like Africa, India and South America...
  10. Hip

The Corrupt History of Medicine | John D. Rockefeller

Microbes themselves would have evolved from simpler self-replicating entities. Amyloid proteins for example can self-replicate, and it has been suggested such proteins were the very first steps in the origin of life, before RNA and DNA genetics appeared. In lab simulations of early Earth...
  11. Hip

Microbes are of alien origin? That's some strong stuff you are smoking! Of course there is the panspermia theory; but generally we understand that microbes were the first step in evolution on Earth. Unlike the Biblical story, animals did not just appear overnight, but evolved from microbial...
  12. Hip

This is a fairytale you might read in some alternative health literature. It's just deceptive and dishonest alternative health marketing, with no basis in fact. Even today we do not know the root cause of most diseases, and until you do know, you cannot possibly treat the aetiological root...
  13. Hip

Avindra Nath finds T-cell exhaustion in ME/CFS, which weakens immunity, and is possibly caused by the persistent remnants of a viral infection

I am currently trying to work out what supplements and drugs could counter the above factors which induce T-cell exhaustion. This is what I have so far: ➤ Viral antigen overexposure causes T-cell exhaustion. 1 So if it were possible to reduce viral levels with antivirals or immunomodulators...
  14. Hip

This is the bad side of the Internet: the online world is full of cliches like this one, and these cliches are accepted and reposted without any evidence behind them, and without the posters applying any critical thinking. Many not so bright people just believe and repost these cliches without...
  15. Hip

Avindra Nath finds T-cell exhaustion in ME/CFS, which weakens immunity, and is possibly caused by the persistent remnants of a viral infection

In terms of an experimental ME/CFS treatment, I am currently thinking in terms of addressing the factors which lead to T-cell exhaustion, rather than blocking PD-1. Blocking PD-1 with the current generation of monoclonal antibody drugs is very risky anyway, as when used in cancer patients...
  16. Hip

Some discouraging findings about PD-1 inhibition: seems it does not work that well for chronic viral infection: Source: here
  17. Hip

"Great efficiency" are not the words that first come to mind when considering herbal medicine. The words "limited effect" would be more like it. I often use herbs and supplements to treat my own symptoms, but I am aware of their limitations. Herbal medicine and knowledge was not able to do...
  18. Hip

I have not seen these studies from Mark Davis and Maureen Hansen, but this present study by Avindra Nath et al did not find increased PD-1 on T-cells in the blood, they only found reduced CD226 on blood T-cells (a protein that boosts the proliferation and activity of T-cells). It was only in the...
  19. Hip

Cytomegalovirus associated with mental health conditions including anxiety, depression, bipolar and psychosis

I am not sure. I think artesunate fights cytomegalovirus more by an immunomodulator effect than a direct antiviral effect.
  20. Hip

Cytomegalovirus associated with mental health conditions including anxiety, depression, bipolar and psychosis

There seem to be several studies (see below) linking cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection with mental health symptoms such as anxiety, depression, bipolar and psychosis. The first study below shows that it is only in cases of high cytomegalovirus antibody titres that anxiety and depression may...
  21. Hip

Tips for Finding Reliable Prescription-Free Online Pharmacies

Sure. Is it prescription-free?
  22. Hip

Maybe a prescription is required in your country. In the UK, at checkout on goldpharma.com, this is seen:
  23. Hip

All the pharmacies listed in the first post are generally reliable, especially ones that have been around for decades. goldpharma.com does not require a prescription (not in the UK at least). See the first post for details on how to order from them.
  24. Hip

All hope is lost

It may not work for everyone, but I find I get a feeling of hope every time I am planning to try out a new supplement, drug or other treatment which I think might improve my ME/CFS. If I have some plan to try some new treatment, it makes feel more positive than not having anything new on the...
  25. Hip

Interesting. In my case, the Coxsackie B4 virus which triggered my ME/CFS also spread to friends and family, and a few people started complaining about cold hands and feet after acquiring this virus (even though they did not get ME/CFS). I wonder if this virus might have chronically infected...
  26. Hip

Yes, I've heard of people getting a stellate ganglion block as an experimental treatment for ME/CFS and long COVID (the stellate ganglion is located in the neck). This block can calm the sympathetic nerves in the neck, head, upper chest and upper arm. SGB is also used to treat Raynaud’s...
  27. Hip

@datadragon your attempts to relate every single discussion on any subject whatsoever on PR back to zinc are pseudoscientific. Sorry, but zinc is not cure for ME/CFS.
  28. Hip

Methylene blue (MB) appears a good PD-1 inhibitor, according to this study. The study found that vivo in mice, MB at a dose of 20 mg/kg daily is effective for fighting cancer tumours. In vitro experiments found that MB is stronger than standard checkpoint inhibitor drugs: Apparently...
  29. Hip

NORD and #RareDiseaseDay on Feb. 29, 2024 #ShowYourStripes

I don't think this will apply to ME/CFS, as this illness is a little too common, affecting about 1 in 500 (and since COVID its probably now affecting about 1 in 200). Whereas a rare disease is defined in Europe as affecting no more than 1 person in 2,000.
  30. Hip

It also might explain why on rare occasions, some ME/CFS patients improve via psychological therapies that reduce stress levels. This does not mean that ME/CFS is "all in the mind", as some psychiatrists would have you believe, but that by reducing stress and sympathetic nervous system...