• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. bigmillz

Consider this before you go down the MTHFR self-treatment rabbit hole

That's wild, I thought I knew just about every relevant supplement out there until I read your list. Why did you stop that protocol? Crashing? No MCAS here, so probably no need to see her...but I have found in general we have some excellent doctors here! Before moving to the city, I stayed as...
  2. bigmillz

I've tolerated Xyrem really really well so far (knock on wood). How long after stopping the supplements did it take before you felt back to normal? Edit: just saw your profile post about Dr Maitland - curious as to how that works out as I once considered finding someone to guide me through...
  3. bigmillz

I've been on here for quite some time, following a modified version of Freddd's protocol for the past few years. At first, it brought me a ton of relief, and it felt like nothing I'd ever felt before. I'm here to tell you, before you take this path, you may wish to consider your options before...
  4. bigmillz

B2 I love you!

Have any of you guys ever had any sort of sexual issues from too much B2 for too long?
  5. bigmillz

Methylfolate + folinic = more beneficial?

I've tried both of these without any beneficial results. At first I thought potassium was helping, but upon taking more, the benefits stopped, leaving me grinding away. Manganese I'd still have to try.
  6. bigmillz

@PeterPositive I handle it better when I'm taking B2 as well, but haven't been on that lately as it was giving me some other issues, specifically exacerbating bruxism.
  7. bigmillz

Folinic definitely seems more potent, that's for sure
  8. bigmillz

Why I hate multivitamins - a video

Hey everyone, been trying to share more of my videos here lately. This is a great one that a lot of people IRL ask me about. "Why don't you just take a multivitamin?" Well, here's my response to that...hopefully it helps some of the newer folks, as I feel this is a pretty common opinion around...
  9. bigmillz

Thanks Peter, always good input :) It's definitely temporary sadly. I'm going to go back on just folinic and swap a single dose for methylfolate at some point and see what happens. Sadly taking a few days off again as the extra dose seemed to push it over the top again - feeling quite edgy...
  10. bigmillz

Been experimenting with folinic acid lately, and it's mostly been pretty great. I have an MAOA mutation, so it's hard for me to take too much of either form of folate. Today, I took 1600mcg of folinic, which proved to be a bit too much, but about 6 hours later I felt it starting to wear off. So...
  11. bigmillz

Feel bad on B-Complex, is it methylfolate or folinic acid?

Just happened to find your post while searching for something else, and I can relate. You don't have the MAOA mutation like I do though. But you might want to look more into those COMT mutations.
  12. bigmillz

Anyone prefer folinic acid over methylfolate?

I tolerate methylfolate but folinic seems much smoother. Having the "MAOA warrior gene" though makes it difficult to tolerate, and its longer duration seems to take a little more planning than methylfolate did.
  13. bigmillz

Introducing my supplement/nootropic/MTHFR-oriented Youtube channel

Been working hard on this for the past couple of weeks, and finally decided to introduce it here (and a few other places)! This really all started because my close friends keep telling me that I should do something with the knowledge I've gained in this area, from reading PR and doing literally...
  14. bigmillz

After my first day on folinic, I can say I'm a huge fan too. No "crash" that I get from methylfolate's short half life, and way more energy. More of the good and less of the bad. Plus I always feel like crap taking less than 4-5mg of methylfolate, whereas I felt great (albeit a bit too much) on...
  15. bigmillz

Giving folinic a shot today to see how it compares. Anyone ever favor it?
  16. bigmillz

.:: Sustained-release Methylation Protocol (SRMP) ::.

Thanks man. I was taking 25mg but I'm trying to drop down to half that now that things are going more smoothly. Same thing here with TMG, which I oddly used to do just fine with. Or maybe it wasn't actually fine, and now I realize I feel better without the TMG lol.
  17. bigmillz

.:: Sustained-release Methylation Protocol (SRMP) ::.

Question for @Sherpa and anyone else who's had success with B2 here...did you guys lower the amount of B2 you've been taking after it allowed you to successfully take methylfolate? I'm wondering this so as to not overdrive MAOA, as I've read there can be issues with it being too effective. A lot...
  18. bigmillz

Bruxism (teeth grinding) lately since starting methylfolate

It's actually easing up substantially late this afternoon. Been taking care not to chew gum or clench. Definitely feeling the lack of methylfolate though. I'm hoping I can bring the methylfolate back up safely in a day or 2, just like I was fine with future uses of Nuvigil.
  19. bigmillz

I'd just rather try some potentially more obvious things first - like the methylfolate. I do remember that it can take a while to reverse. I got it bad the first time I ever took Nuvigil, but haven't gotten it from Nuvigil since. But it did take a good week to completely go away. I think it...
  20. bigmillz

So you think it might be the opposite way around, that the sleep issues are causing it? I've definitely been suffering more insomnia than usual this week. And been feeling pretty ramped up (in a good way, tons of energy and great mood). I went down to 2mg methylfolate yesterday, and I'm still...
  21. bigmillz

It must just be too high of a dose still. So weird. I've got a mouthguard that I dug out and wore part of last night, at least until this is fixed. Thanks :)
  22. bigmillz

Nope, none. Also I should add. About a year ago I was on 6mg methylfolate daily and didn't have this issue. I took a break from it because I was getting too agitated, until I added B2. Now the methylfolate is a lot smoother.
  23. bigmillz

The most major change to my supplements lately has been the addition of methylfolate. I've been trying to find my perfect dose for probably a couple of months now. Just dropped from 6mg to 4mg this week. I used to take 2mg months ago, and was getting really depressed. 1mg was even worse...
  24. bigmillz

Seasonal allergies and methylation

Having a hard time finding a clear answer to this. How do B12, methylfolate, and niacin affect seasonal allergy sufferers? My allergies have been TERRIBLE this year, and last year I was not taking any methylation supplements. Is it just the environment, or is there a connection to the supplements?
  25. bigmillz

Anyone else have methylfolate "wear off" after ~6 hours?

Hey everyone, wanted to give an update here to hopefully help some others. Splitting the dose up did the trick. No extra potassium required. Currently taking a dose with breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
  26. bigmillz

I'm thinking this week (after taking today off) I'll restart at a lower dose. When I used to take 2mg, it was too low. I was becoming absolutely miserable. 1mg was even worse - far worse than none at all. I buy Jarrow, and I'm trying Solgar too, but there's a few high dose brands on Amazon now...
  27. bigmillz

I started at 400mcg and kept working up everytime I felt deficiency symptoms. @Freddd was right - roughly 3x the original dose would do the trick. Finally when I got over 8mg these deficiency symptoms seemed to dissipate completely. Then I just went a little higher because it felt better. I...
  28. bigmillz

Thanks @Mary Ive considered this but it never seemed to resolve the problem. I will give it another shot though this week. I was out of town and didn't have potassium on me (just bananas and avocados). If it is potassium, does it make sense that roughly another 6 hours later (12 hours after...
  29. bigmillz

After a very successful week stretch at 10mg daily, I'm starting to notice that about 6 hours after dosing, I get really tired, and the most obvious benefits seem to wear off. I've tried going above 10mg, but it's just too much at this time. I get brutal headaches, start sweating, and get...