• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. hellytheelephant

Cleanliness in between showering

I have just sent off for a pack of ' shampoo caps' and will report back!:)
  2. hellytheelephant

Prayer for homebound

Thank you so much for this @Anchoress - you put it so beautifully. I really needed to see this.
  3. hellytheelephant

TODDLER TANTRUM! ( Not Able To Go Out!)- THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT BLOG.

Thank you- I am so glad you enjoy my ramblings! Lots more in the pipeline.:hug:
  4. hellytheelephant

So true that we just need to be grumpy as heck sometimes. I hope it's one of the less grumpy days for you. :hug:
  5. hellytheelephant

Well it's been a beast of a day here...but the good news is that I managed to get a Blog out of it;) Check out my latest Blog- I think many of you will be able to relate to my mood! https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-toddler-tantrum-not-going-out.html
  6. hellytheelephant

THE TOUR DE CHRONIC- The Chronic Elephant Blog.

Socks are available free when you purchase The Cycling News Ultimate Tour De France Fans Guide! I now have 3 ( or possibly 4) pairs of Tour socks. sadly there are no socks for the Tour of Spain so I will be free- styling with my usual pairs...:sluggish::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  7. hellytheelephant

THE TOUR DE CHRONIC- The Chronic Elephant Blog.

Check out my latest Blog abot life in the ( very), slow lane: "Even on a good day, living with chronic illness feels like an endless marathon of monitoring, medication, and medical appointments. But there is another sporting event that I identify with far more: THE TOUR DE FRANCE. "...
  8. hellytheelephant

M.E- THE INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHING ILLNESS

that is good news on the headaches. aside from all the physical strain of pushing yourself I found the mental toll was huge. un So ironic that we are seen by society as malingerers when we have to work so hard at managing illness and managing life. It's back breaking. i am unfamiliar with the...
  9. hellytheelephant

I am so glad you are still enjoying the Blog. The blog about tea was when I was determined to get a bit better by clean eating/healthy living and even splashed out on a homeopath...:whistle::sluggish: Three years later and I do not think I could have got through the Pandemic, and 2 major...
  10. hellytheelephant

That's sounds very hard to manage. As you say working from home helped at times. I kept ending up in ER and/or losing my voice/having antibiotic infections. I kept changing jobs but that was like re- arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic! People have no idea of how long most of us struggle to...
  11. hellytheelephant

Hello! My latest Blog is about my time of living with mild/moderate M.E and working full time. As someone who has been seriously affected for the last decade, it is easy to forget how very tough life can be when you are trying to hold down a job and a life. I hope this rings a few bells with...
  12. hellytheelephant

ME AND MY MOBILITY SCOOTER ( AKA. PENELOPE PITSTOP)

The must bring back some lovely memories. They are certainly a wonderfully invention, and the off road version is an amazing thrill- ride too- though not at all recommended for someone as sick as me! Once and once only!!!!:sluggish::jaw-drop::ill::ill:
  13. hellytheelephant

I AM NOT A NUMBER: I AM A FREE ELEPHANT! ( THE PAIN SCALE)- The Chronic Elephant Blog.

Thank you for doing that- I am always slightly baffled as to which section to put stuff in! Really glad to hear that the Blog resonated with your experiences. I lovee the funny pain scale- much closer to our pain I think! hope today is a good one for you.:hug:
  14. hellytheelephant

I AM NOT A NUMBER: I AM A FREE ELEPHANT! ( THE PAIN SCALE)- The Chronic Elephant Blog.

Check out my latest Blog, which this week is about a topic close to my heart: PAIN, and how to quantify it. https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2022/05/i-am-not-number-am-free-elephant-rating.html
  15. hellytheelephant

Book Recommendation: The Amazing Technicolour Pyjama Therapy

I think it's finding those things to lift your spirits isn't it?! For me it's bright nail polish and colourful scarves. Hooray for Clearance, and Ebay.
  16. hellytheelephant

take your time- it's a good book for reading a bit at a time.:hug:
  17. hellytheelephant

DISABILITY & THE SHAME TANGO- The Chronic Elephant Blog.

Hi- so sorry to hear about your mom-nothing prepares you for that loss of autonomy. That sounds like a lot for you to cope with in the workplace...and very uncomfortable to have to discuss with co-workers. As you say, there is also the stress of going to appointments, and not knowing the layout...
  18. hellytheelephant

DISABILITY & THE SHAME TANGO- The Chronic Elephant Blog.

Hi folks, In this 3rd of my Blogs on the subject of Disability, I tackle the Shame that so many Disabled people experience (and functional incontinence gets a mention too!) https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2022/05/disability-shame-tango.html
  19. hellytheelephant

@Elike @snooze @CantThink plus everyone else, there is now a designated email for the Blog: Comments/ideas/responses/questions re the blog can be sent to: thechronicelephantblog@gmail.com I will try to reply, but might take a while!
  20. hellytheelephant

ELEPHANTINE LEVELS OF DENIAL, & DISABILITY- THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT

I will also be rocking a bright Lillie first-hand onward we go, setting our alarms each hour, and trying not to lose our minds!
  21. hellytheelephant

@Rufous McKinney - Thank you I am glad you enjoyed the Blog. I am really glad that Chinese medicine is so helpful for you. I have tried it myself for eczema, with mixed results...and don't get me started on the taste of the tea I had to drink! I only ever write from my own experience, and I...
  22. hellytheelephant

@Elike Jam sorry that things feel so tough right now...and I totally get it. It is a very difficult-to-live-with illness. (I would love to hear what you think of the books, if you would like to message me, you can). :hug:
  23. hellytheelephant

@YippeeKi YOW !! Thank you for the lovely comments and feedback! Knowing how valuable energy is to us poorly folks I really appreciate it. My purpose in Blogging is just to share my experiences and hope folk find it helpful. When I was first diagnosed in 1993 I literally knew no one who had ME...
  24. hellytheelephant

Checkout my latest Blog is about how difficult it is to accept that I am Disabled. https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2022/05/elephantine-levels-of-denial-disability.html
  25. hellytheelephant

DUMBO THE ELEPHANT & DISABILITY- THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT BLOG

Hi Folks, My latest Blog is the first of a series about DISABILITY. I know this can be a difficult topic when we are chronically ill, and it is something I am on the path to allowing, and accepting. I hope you enjoy the Blog...
  26. hellytheelephant

Hi, It is one that I go back to again and again. My husband found her book on caring for elderly parents, really helpful as both his parents got sick and died.
  27. hellytheelephant

BLOG: ALERNATIVE THERAPIES THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE WOO-WOO

The latest Chronic Elephant Blog is about Alternative Therapies, my experiences, the do's and don'ts, and things you can do to help yourself. https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2019/09/alternative-therapies-good-bad-and-woo.html HAPPY READING!
  28. hellytheelephant

Altitude sickness sounds exactly like ME/CFS

I can confirm the similarity between ME and Altitude sickness.During a period when my health improved ( past tense sadly!) I experienced bad Altitude sickness whilst staying in La Paz, Bolivia. It is the highest capital in the world and 3,500 m above sea level. It was exactly like ME symptoms-...