• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Keith Laws

Distress signals: Does cognitive behavioural therapy reduce or increase distress in chronic fatigue

NICE have repeatedly over-stretched, misrepresented, assumed and 'invented' evidence.... when it comes to the efficacy of CBT in various disorders https://www.theguardian.com/science/sifting-the-evidence/2016/feb/05/nice-guidelines-for-psychological-therapy-cbt-overstepping-evidence and...
  2. Keith Laws

Distress signals: Does cognitive behavioural therapy reduce or increase distress in chronic fatigue

Yes, apologies - that has turned out unclear - I meant it to indicate that the Cochrane meta-analysis covered the same studies that underpin NICE CG53 (viz the York systematic review by Chambers et al 2006). Chambers et al did not look at 'distress' in CBT; the only other meta-analysis around...
  3. Keith Laws

CBT for bipolar: Keith Laws challenges NICE and inadequate meta-analyses

Thanks. I would also very much like to see a 'response' ... If interested, next Wednesday, we have a 'Mental Elf' live webinar debate with various experts on the NICE bipolar guide http://www.nationalelfservice.net/campfire/psychotherapies-for-bipolar-disorder/ ...And I agree, it would almost...
  4. Keith Laws

Coyne - What it takes for Queen Mary to declare a request for scientific data “vexatious”

'Science' sometimes operates like two boxers standing toe-to-toe and slugging it out .... everybody gets injured, everyone gets tired and only occasionally is a knockout blow landed. Such bouts inevitably attract an audience and to some extent, to gain ascendancy you must convince them (not your...