• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. MacGyver

TMG makes me very depressed why?

No problem, thanks for making this thread in the first place. It's an issue that I've read about several times but no-one seems to know the answer. That said there are a few more possibilities, besides low Methionine/Homocysteine/Methylfolate/Methylcobalamin, why TMG can cause a problem. This...
  2. MacGyver

Help and experiences with MTR++/MTRR++ please

This paper/article seems to contain the answer: http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/13/3/216.pdf Note that it does come from Thorne research. But a quick look at some of the things that are mentioned seem to confirm what is said. Etc. From a quick look at it folate metabolism is very...
  3. MacGyver

Help and experiences with MTR++/MTRR++ please

I don't have anything meaningful to add, most things I know have been mentioned. But maybe a quick recap might help: MTRR is the enzyme that 'fixes' inactive, protein bonded cobalamin for the MTR enzyme. If MTRR would have a meaningful impact it would be that more (Methyl)cobalamin is wasted...
  4. MacGyver

Thanks @alicec for filling in some more of the blanks in my understanding! :) Intriguing. Didn't know that. Pretty odd though, wouldn't it be a different thing and have a different name then? Or does it have to do with charge and thus amount of electrons etc? What am I missing here?! While I...
  5. MacGyver

Nope, I like meat, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I eat tons of it. My apetite has been low for quite a while. I eat because I know I have to, not because I feel hungry. I think I just eat regularly like most 'healthy' people. Regularly have (canned) fish as well; sardines, tuna, mackerel...
  6. MacGyver

Well, I did some more research on the Homocysteine depletion theory I posted before and its impact on folate metabolism and it looks like what I said is exactly what is happening! In fact this is the methyl-trap @Freddd has been talking about all along but it happens for another reason that...
  7. MacGyver

Took some SAMe (Now Foods 100mg) and I got the exact same response to it as with the 9 aminos: a relaxed feeling. Mood is slightly better as well. The noticeable effect tapers off pretty quickly but hours later there is still a more relaxed feeling overal than 'normal'. That is with the 9...
  8. MacGyver

@Lilmaz How do the ammonia problems manifest? (this is for my own selfless understanding here :)) Didn't know about yucca hormonal properties. Thanks! What things have you tried (with and without success) regarding ammonia? Do you have gut issues? What's the good response to ALCAR you get? I'm...
  9. MacGyver

Excuse my ignorance but what is UM @Lilmaz? I recognize the OCD thing I think, it's not the typical close-the-door-three-times you mean but more being stuck on something/thoughts and not being able to stop, no? Well under my current understanding TMG would have caused a Homocysteine deficiency...
  10. MacGyver

Some more insights that seem to confirm my conclusions in the post above: NAC lowers Homocysteine levels (will have to dig a bit deeper to see exactly how; so far I found a few references to NAC displacing Homocysteine on its carrier protein) so it has the same effect as TMG in this case...
  11. MacGyver

dealing with low stomach acid.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/acid-alkaline-burns-could-they-cause-leaky-gut-syndrome-other-gi- issues.26277/ Basically your intestines become burned by either the acid from the stomach; in which case bile is insufficient/hasn't got the ability to neutralize the acid OR you...
  12. MacGyver

Just want to give a slight update that what increased my pain is probably not acid/alkaline burns (time will tell) but the TMG in Betaine HCL lowering available dopamine and thus leading to an increase in pain, not the acid itself. Regarding the wired feeling on excess Betaine and thus TMG...
  13. MacGyver

I have the exact same problem, in fact I'm just coming out of a week-long Phosphatidylcholine, TMG and possibly Betaine HCL induced depressed week where I go into complete freak-out and tunnel vision mode and seem to lose enough of my brainpower to no longer be able to see the very obvious, heh...
  14. MacGyver

@WoolPippi Thanks for the info (en hallo :))! I've been focusing on vitamins and minerals for a while but have neglected the importance of proper digestion in fixing my health (I know, doesn't make sense but a man has to start somewhere and digestion wasn't it apparently) and it might as well be...
  15. MacGyver

vitamin D and sleep

Actually, I meant the opposite :) I'm confident the human body knows best in maintaining its vitamin D levels in the correct range. If it's not when measured that means something else, upstream, is going wrong. There's always a good reason why something happens, even if we don't understand it...
  16. MacGyver

vitamin D and sleep

Yep, not taking calcium causes me to have very bad sleep/insomnia when I up my vitamin D and magnesium intake. Both taking vitamin D and magnesium will increase the need for calcium. All the usual calcium cofactors apply here (vit A, K2 and vit D and mag of course) but I always have to...
  17. MacGyver

Intracellular magnesium defiency and vitamin B6 (and/or B2) deficiency in ME/CFS

I'd like to add a few notes to my previous post. While the above is still true regarding boron it seems the major effect for me wasn't with regards to its effect on P5P and magnesium but its role in and effect on vitamin D and calcium metabolism. As a result of its vitamin D/calcium effects I...
  18. MacGyver

A few roadblocks and tips for methylation

Oh boy, try it, try it, try it! :) It's a must if you're struggeling with magnesium and vitamin D. Hell it's a must try for anyone on these boards imho. Too many good properties or rather a deficiency has so many far reaching negative effects. Look up some of my posts for more on boron. Since...
  19. MacGyver

A few roadblocks and tips for methylation

Interesting.Thanks for your post! Have you tried dosing higher with vitamin C? What form are you taking btw? Sodium Ascorbate? Taking higher doses of vitamin C can actually reduce/stop diarhea if that is what is needed which I know is counter intuitive. But it would be consistent with vitamin E...
  20. MacGyver

magnesium bad reactions

Sounds like the same issue I was running into the past few weeks/months. I've been struggeling with magnesium for the past 9 months. Here's what I've learned so far: - boron in high dosage (+-30mg/day) is very, very beneficial (don't forget to take B2 and B6 along with it, some manganese as well...
  21. MacGyver

REFEEDING SYNDROME - The clues to healing via induced deficiencies

To me it's now apparent that trace minerals are very, VERY important and deficiencies in those might actually be the root cause of a lot of people's health issues. That's a bold statement to make or rather hypothesis to propose but all the pointers are there. And it just seems fitting for us to...
  22. MacGyver

Activ B6 - insomnia side effects

Well a B6 blood test should be P5P/PLP, can you post the result and the reference range, that should help in figuring out if they tested P5P or not. Well, no effect whatsoever but at the same time having the classic symptoms point to the magnesium not being absorbed. There are quite a few...
  23. MacGyver

Started taking B6 and feeling funny. Help Please. :(

Very cool! :) That reinforces my belief that I am making correct assumptions with regards to boron-B2-B6-magnesium :) Small update on my own journey: I've tried adding additional manganese (10mg/day total) to see if that helped with my other issues but results so far are inconclusive. Something...
  24. MacGyver

Activ B6 - insomnia side effects

Interesting that you dream a lot while at the same time having lab results that say you're low in B6. Dreaming points to sufficient acetylcholine being made which depends on sufficient B6. But I'm not entirely clear on the whole mechanism here either. I'm currently struggling with the same...
  25. MacGyver

Indeed, it's a terrible disgrace that we have to figure this out ourselves but I guess that goes to show how our human 'culture' works and how far we have come in terms of 'civilization'... Anyway, preaching to the choir here and we've got better things to spend our energy on :) Once my...
  26. MacGyver

Manganese : chelated v. ionic

Anyone who has further experience with different forms of manganese? Two days ago I started on 8mg Solgar manganese bisglycinate. But I'm interested in other peoples experiences with different forms.
  27. MacGyver

B2 I love you!

You're right, but then wouldn't you notice other thyroid issues popping up like cold hands and feet etc? I don't seem to have any thyroid issues so I'm not sure what the symptom set would be. Sorry if you posted this before but what was your terrible reaction to B2? Have you tried taking more...
  28. MacGyver

My own idea and thus opinion on pyridoxine (B6) causing issues but not P5P is that pyridoxine needs to go through a few conversion steps before it becomes P5P. Hence if you start supplementing with it in very high doses you'll be depleting other things, especially B2. So what is currently being...
  29. MacGyver

B2 I love you!

Something else that crossed my mind yesterday which would be interesting to verify by people who get this response. I think that people who get a noticeable response to FMN but not to riboflavin actually just uncovered that they have a zinc deficiency! Since zinc is necessary for the conversion...
  30. MacGyver

Well, I'd look into boron. Like I said; I had high B6 levels in my blood. I have some very mild tingling in my left arm and leg. I don't recall dreams at all. I have pain on the right side of my stomach and back. Which I finally figured out to be due to a B6 deficiency. Yes, deficiency; a...