• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. D

Gluten or Fructan's, bread vs pasta?

Thanks. Yes its a tough one but its been with me for life. I understand allot more now, so I can question things allot better. I'm thinking fructans are possibly it. I had a gluten test done and there's no indication of an intolerance there. I noticed that when I went in a ketogenic...
  2. D

You're all forgetting that I get the same reaction to oats. Oats do not contain Gluten. (gluten free oats)
  3. D

I'm trying to narrow something down here. Since I was young I've had terrible brain fog. It seems that this is at it's worst when I eat bread or oats. I initially thought it was gluten but I've now read about Fructans and how they can be the culprit. Oats don't contain Gluten, but they do...
  4. D

High Cortisol morning and evenings?

If anyone is still reading this, would any of you know the difference between Seriphos which I believe to be an amino acid, and Adaptogen herbs like Ashwaganda? I've used Ashwaganda in the past but it seems to only be a bandaid and provides a temporary fix to an ongoing problem. Thanks
  5. D

Thanks everyone. A few spelling mistakes in my last post. As for my cortisol profile, mine isn't inverted. It's high in the morning and high in the evening (both). I'm just not sure how it gets to this. I believe my father was the same. He was so stressed in the evenings and couldn't sleep...
  6. D

Thanks! I think the high morning and evening cortisol could be the result of high night cortisol carrying through. Nice to about the PS, I will try this. Strangely enough, I did go through a serious bout if stress 1o years ago and my body hasn't been the sane since. 2 years if...
  7. D

What does it mean if I have high cortisol in the morning and evenings. I know my cortisol should be highest in the morning but why would it, in addition, be high in the evenings as well? Thanks
  8. D

Your Liver and Portion Size of meals?

Thanks for that succinct and quick answer. I understand now. Can I glean from this that if I had a liver problem such as Non-Alcoholic Fatty liver, I would need to eat smaller portion sizes so as to not overwhelm my liver? And, would an overwhelmed liver lead to blood sugar imbalances...
  9. D

Your Liver and Portion Size of meals?

Hi Would anyone know the Scientific reason why the size of the meal you eat impacts your liver? I am trying to understand how a large meal impacts your liver as opposed to a smaller meal. As much technical detail as possible if anyone knows the answer to this. Thanks.
  10. D

Overmethylation and weight gain (MTHFR)

I agree that there's a lack of evidence out there. Unfortunately without lateral thought we will be waiting forever for the answers we require to become profitable (otherwise who's going to pay for it). I'm a bit of a cynic too so I do require some proof. If I can relate the pseudo science...
  11. D

I know how your feel. I slipped into this after a serious bout of stress 10 years ago and haven't been able to lose a pound since.. All thyroid hormones are at optimal levels so I'm stumped. Running 65 km a week and gym have done nothing for my weight. If anything I've got fatter.
  12. D

No answer? I'm not too surprised!
  13. D

It may well be.. I'll deduce from that, that there is no connection. What makes you think that it's quackery? Did Ray Peat say it?
  14. D

Why is Overmethylation associated with weigh gain and difficulty in losing it? What causes the weight gain and difficulty in losing weight for Overmethylators? Is it linked to low histamine? Does anyone understand the process enough to explain it? Thanks
  15. D

Symptoms of High Comt activity and C677t hetera?

I don't.. I'm just trying to figure things out. What I do have is a hetera C677T MTHFR gene mutation and I suspect slow COMT but I haven't got COMT tested yet. Terrible under stress and a lifetime of brain fog. I also have symptoms of high estrogen but a recent test confirmed that...
  16. D

Overmethylation and MTHFR?

Why is Overmethylation associated with weigh gain? What causes the weight gain and difficulty in losing weight? Does anyone understand the process enough to explain it? Thanks
  17. D

Symptoms of High Comt activity and C677t hetera?

What would be the symptoms of someone with High Comt activity and C677t hetera? I realize high compt leads to lower levels of dopamine.. But how do I have higher comt when the methylation cycle does not work properly due to the C677t gene mutation? Could someone explain this?. I may be...
  18. D

Relationship between MTHFR or COMT and sex hormones?

Is there a relationship between the negative affects of COMT gene mutations or MTHFR and low testosterone.. I'm wondering if any of these gene mutations cause a drop in Testosterone? Thanks
  19. D

Progesterone, cortisol, and oestrogen

I am aware of this. Yes, too much stress started this, of course.
  20. D

Progesterone, cortisol, and oestrogen

I have some very specific questions about progesterone in Men. If you're unsure what I'm asking please feel free to ask me to clarify. I have two questions. I hope somebody can help me understand this. 1 - If I go through a period of stress, my body will produce more Cortisol than normal...
  21. D

High Cortisol Inherited?

Sorry about my post. Didn't mean to sound arrogant.. I'm just a little frustrated and disillusioned with our medical establishment. I genuinely appreciate your help :)
  22. D

High Cortisol Inherited?

Then why do I grow so much chest fat that I look like I'm growing breasts. 2 years of solid cardio hasn't moved a thing. My father had the same until it killed him... High estrogen is a result of high cortisol (via depleted progesterone). How else can high estrogen be maintained then...
  23. D

High Cortisol Inherited?

I'm still interested whether this can be inherited ?? Any clues, anyone? .. Please see my first post. Thanks
  24. D

High Cortisol Inherited?

I have only done a fasting blood test in the morning (around 10:45 a.m) for cortisol and it was raised. I have all the symptoms of someone with high cortisol. Strangely enough so did my father. All the symptoms of high estrogen and low progesterone for example are prevalent. I've always...
  25. D

Ashwaganda?

Whilst we are on the topic, I'm wondering if there are any other herbs which may be effective in reducing estrogen dominance in men? I have found one but I'm not sure. Damiana and Chasterberry? Would anyone know about these? Thanks
  26. D

Ashwaganda?

Thank you.. This is very helpful.
  27. D

Ashwaganda?

Thanks for that. Do you notice much of an affect from it. I'm suffering from Adrenal stress syndrome, but my DHEA and Cortisol are still up.. So is my Testosterone and free T. Having said that I still have hormonal imbalances (I'm a man in my 40's) which have contributed wildly to...
  28. D

Ashwaganda?

I'm trying to determine which form of Ashwaganda to get. I have adrenal issues and will be supplementing with this herb but there seems to be a couple of ways of taking it. I see there is a Ashwaganda root extract in liquid form. Is this better than the capsule form? Does anyone know?
  29. D

Pregnenelone?

Would anyone know if there is a test for pregenelone levels? Is this something which is normally done?