• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. twincity

23andme analysis and treatment (COMT/VDR/MAO)

I'm not saying that it is a problem for everyone, simply that the polymorphism indicates a definite, physical fact - that the COMT enzyme is going to be performing more slowly. To know that a main inhibitor of adrenaline and dopamine isn't working very well is a very useful bit of information...
  2. twincity

I'm not talking about symptoms or problems. I'm talking about the impact of the altered gene. It lowers the activity of the COMT enzyme. "The Val158Met polymorphism in the COMT gene leads to an amino-acid substitution (valine (Val) to methionine (Met)) and results in the Met/Met variant showing...
  3. twincity

I mean that the COMT V158M +/+ polymorphism shows that your COMT activity is significantly lower than for people without the polymorphism. It's a definite indication of underperforming COMT activity. It's not a flag saying that you're statistically more likely to suffer from a certain...
  4. twincity

I have spoken to many doctors about this over the past 10 years, including NHS GPs, Endocrinologists, GI Docs, Nutritionalists and a Neurologist.. Nobody has been able to get to the root of the issue, treating symptoms rather than causes, meaning I'm having to (try to) work everything out my self.
  5. twincity

I've been doing a fair amount of research around the COMT V158M +/+ (also known as AA or Met/Met) result, and it seems that the COMT SNP is a pretty cast-iron diagnosis, not an indication of inclination.. The many scientific studies out there that cover the COMT V158M (also known as rs4680 or...
  6. twincity

Quick update for y'all. Over the past couple of years I've had persistent, chronic Gastritis. Debilitatingly so. Full-on stomach, oesophageal and sinus inflammation at the slightest provocation (e.g. eating anything, travelling in a car, shouting). It strangles my voice. Makes me dizzy. Makes...
  7. twincity

Thanks Picante, that's brilliant. Looks like I'll need to address methylation before the sulphur issues will start to resolve. I'll pursue the initial B2 dosing as well, just in case that helps too.
  8. twincity

Thanks for the info. I haven't yet started a methylation protocol yet. I wanted to get on top of the other issues first. I've had thyroid checked out. All ok. Same with homocysteine. But I still have these awful issues with overstimulated nervous system and constant gastritis-like gut...
  9. twincity

It would be great to hear from anyone else who finds sulphur-rich foods trigger symptoms. If there is a reason for it, I'd prefer to know. When I avoid the foods I'm sick, and when I don't I'm a complete mess. If I can find out why I can't tolerate the foods I might get a better idea of what...
  10. twincity

If I don't know, how do I treat it? Is there a standard approach you recommend?
  11. twincity

Thanks for that. Very helpful. If CBS isn't a thing (or has no impact), are there any thoughts on why foods like broccoli, peas, eggs, sulphur-rich foods trigger the wired-but-exhausted, twitchy symptoms in people like me? Could it be related to the effects of the COMT SNP?
  12. twincity

Hi there. If the SNPs have little or no impact, what should I be looking for instead? How would I go about identifying the issues that are causing the problems? Any pointers on what I treat and how (from your point of view) would be greatly appreciated.
  13. twincity

That's great, thanks caledonia and ahmo. The urine test I had at the endocrinologist indicated that my adrenals were ok, but my physical symptoms indicate that my problems are more on the COMT/MAO side - twitching muscles (fasciculations), wired but exhausted, dark rings under eyes, hyper...
  14. twincity

Just so I have this clear, you're saying there is nothing anyone can do about ME or ME-type symptoms at the moment, and that the best advice is to do nothing. That's a pretty bleak picture.
  15. twincity

So your advice is 'wait'. Because I may get better at some point. I've been on this for 10 years now. I'm aware of what treatments have what effect. The only reason I've improved slightly is because I took the initiative and told my gp to look into it (the surgery). Waiting around for a...
  16. twincity

Fair enough. What kind of areas should I be look at instead? Any suggestions?
  17. twincity

I've not found help anywhere else. So I'm asking for it here. I've been on a long and arduous trek to get to this point. I was initially told by GPs (yes, plural), that there was nothing wrong with me and that it was just a bit of anxiety (at this point I could barely walk). So I undertook a...
  18. twincity

For reference, my basic blood tests revealed everything to be within normal ranges - electrolytes, B12, folate were all within range. Which is nice. But then I've still been suffering from 'overmethylated' wired but tired exhaustion for years, accompanied by gastritis/silent GERD (or what I...
  19. twincity

That's not particularly helpful to be honest Jonathan.
  20. twincity

Hi all, Firstly can I say thanks to everyone on here. After years of being sent down the wrong path by the NHS this site has been a godsend. I've had my 23andme test done, and it's returned the following: Homozygous COMT V158M COMT H62H VDR Bsm MAO-A R297R Heterozygous MTHFR C677T MTRR...