• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. drex13

COMT and methylfolate

I'm not assuming anything. I am asking a question. If the supposed idea that having a COMT mutation makes one sensitive to methyl groups (i.e. methyl b-12), then wouldn't one also be sensitive to methylfolate ? I never see this mentioned in the COMT information I've read, and just wondered if...
  2. drex13

My SNPs - let's network if we have the same mutations

The key word in my statement being "might". No single polymorphism in this panel means anything by itself.
  3. drex13

Discuss SNP rs1464510 Celiac, gliadin, gluten related SNP

I'm Hetero, AC, for whatever that's worth.
  4. drex13

SNPs for Dihydrofolate Reductase (DHFR)

My results are identical to yours with the exception of the last one, rs1650697, for which I am AG.
  5. drex13

Intolerance to antioxidants

You could use Q-Gel, CoQ10. It is a water soluble form, therefore not requiring fats to be absorbed.
  6. drex13

Can The Methyl Folate Trap and DHFR Cause Strong Reaction From Taking Methylfolate?

Any idea which SNP on the DHFR enzyme we may be talking about here ? I wonder if maybe more attention should be paid to DHFR than to the one that gets all the attention MTHFR. I don't seem to get along well with either Folinic acid or with Methylfolate. They seem to produce different symptoms...
  7. drex13

My SNPs - let's network if we have the same mutations

You're results look pretty good to me. I have alot more yellow and red than you. We have the same COMT results, which might indicate trouble handling excess methyl groups (I don't tolerate Methyl b12 or methylfolate well). You don't have any MTHFR defects, so that would indicate no folate...
  8. drex13

Doctor Yasko result help

Your MTR/MTRR homozygotes also indicate an difficulty in generating/recycling B-12. However, your hetero COMT results may make methyl b-12 difficult to take, so hydroxy b-12 might be a better choice. I have similar SNP's in those areas, and I cannot tolerate methyl b-12. Check out these links...
  9. drex13

COMT and methylfolate

In the information from heartfixer and yasko etc.. mention is often made of those with COMT + status and their probable inability to handle methyl donors. In such cases they often advise that the patient would have difficulty tolerating methyl B-12 and would do better on hydroxy B-12. But, I...
  10. drex13

Quatrefolic Methylfolate - Best Brand (?)

You can buy this from Swanson (their label, but it's Gnosis Quatrefolic) pretty cheap. Me personally, I haven't been able to handle any of the methyl supplements (mb12 or methylfolate)
  11. drex13

The streetlight effect & science

Unfortunately, I think free thinking is being discouraged on a large scale by our educational systems and by large corporations. Large companies don't want or like free thinkers. They want drones and robots who do what they are told, and how they are told to do it. I see so many articles...
  12. drex13

What does general treatment for CSF consists of?

I find that odd. I got onto my insurance website and looked up Dr. Klimas and she is listed as a provider on my insurance. Also, Dr. Lerner is on my insurance plan too. I think Dr. Enlander might be too. I'll have to double check that. I have BCBS/Anthem health insurance.
  13. drex13

mind sharing your rs7794745 result from 23andme? Connected to autism and ADHD

So you both really are AT. (Just to confuse people). Lol.
  14. drex13

mind sharing your rs7794745 result from 23andme? Connected to autism and ADHD

AT ? Is that correct ? I thought A=T and G=C. If you're TT that would also be AA, so you're child would be AG or TC. I am homozygous, AA (TT). I have two children (of 4) who are on the ASD. One also has ADD and the other also has an anxiety disorder. I would have said that I did not have...
  15. drex13

MTHFS defect (folinic acid intolerance) - request for genetic data

Here are my results, added on to the end of the others, for what it's worth. I had originally emailed these to Rich, way back when. Also my SHMT1 result is GG, so all good there. Rich=1, nandixon=2, Gestalt=3, Anne=4, caledonia=5, geesiddiqui=6, I.R.Baboon=7, Lynn_M=8, merylg=9 snowathlete=10...
  16. drex13

A Tribute To Rich Van Konynenburg

I haven't been on the PR site for a few months now, and was absolutely stunned when I logged on today, to see that Rich had passed away. I have exchanged emails and information with Rich a few times over the last couple of years. Rich was always gracious and went out of his way to help those...
  17. drex13

Folic Acid vs L-Methylfolate(Metafolin)

I found a cheap b-complex @ CVS that contains no folic acid. I think it was by Nature Made.
  18. drex13

Are Metametrix Tests Valid? Are the Treatment Suggestions Useful?

I was reading Quackwatch the other night. I have come to the conclusion that the Dr. who writes that is exactly the type of Dr. I would avoid like the plague. Very narrowminded, and if it didn't come out of a medical textbook from 50 years ago, it ain't true. Plus that site sucks, it's very...
  19. drex13

Is Yasko's Nutrigenomics Panel enough?

23andme tests something like over 1 million genes, or maybe over a million SNP's. At any rate it's way more than what is on the Yasko test. But you have to browse through the raw data, or look up each individual gene by searching in Browse Raw Data to find your results. However they may not test...
  20. drex13

Over-driving the methylation cycle

I'm hetero for both MTHFR SNP's (677 & 1298). I have not tried supplementing with any type of high dose of methylfolate, but maybe I'll give it a shot, as I do have depression and anxiety issues. I have a very difficult time with methyl b-12.
  21. drex13

interpreting results from holistic heal's comprehensive methylation panel

Here are some links. One is to heartfixer, and might be the same one as listed above. The first one is actually a pdf version of Dr. Yasko's book, "Autism: Pathways to Recovery". http://www.dramyyasko.com/wp-content/files_flutter/1327512160_9_1_1_8_pdf_02_file.pdf...
  22. drex13

Article About CFS and Genetics

I found this report through a link at 23and me. The researchers used 28 specific SNP's to predict CFS with a 76% accuracy. COMT comes up quite a bit. I haven't read through it completely. It looks like it is from 2006. It lists the rs #'s for the SNP's that were used...
  23. drex13

how to come off methylation without getting potassium problems?

I had to look up the definition for fasiculation. But, yes I think I can chalk that up to low potassium.
  24. drex13

Xeno/estrogens link to CFS/Fibromyalgia - Success!!

23 and me provides results on both CYP1B1 and CYP3A4, but I don't know which SNP specifically we would be looking for. Someone is going to have to figure that out and do a conversion, like the Yasko to 23andme conversion. And figure out which genotype is normal, and which isn't.
  25. drex13

CFS and pain

Pain has become a problem for me, but is not constant, it's intermittent. I had to do some work on my truck last month, that required a significant amount of pushing and pulling. I was in pain for 2 weeks after that. I knew as I was doing it that I was going to be hurting, but I didn't think it...
  26. drex13

how to come off methylation without getting potassium problems?

From the starts and stops, I have had while on the various methylation protocols, I have found that the need for supplemental potassium continues for about a month or so after stopping any b-12 supplements. I can gauge this by knotting and or pain in my calf muscles, and by muscle twitching in...
  27. drex13

NEW - Revised Active B12 and Folate Protocol with Micro-titration

So is the L=carnitine the first in the order of supplements ?
  28. drex13

Input requested on possible changes to simplified methylation protocol

Rich, Do you have any concerns with the folinic and the Methylfolate in the multi competing for absorption since they would be taken together ?
  29. drex13

How to convince my doctor to look into LDN?

What Sushi said. There are studies from Penn State University w/ Crohn's Disease, Stanford University for Fibromyalgia, a study done in Italy for MS, and others.
  30. drex13

Cholestasis / lack of bile flow

I tried a gallbladder flush shortly before I ended up having mine removed. It made me sicker, and I think sped my having to have it removed along. However,life without a gallbladder has been one big digestive adventure. I wouldn't exactly say that people can get along just fine without it...