• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. J

Elevated Vitamin D 1,25 Dihydroxy and Low Vitamin D, 25-OH

Hello all, I have an abundance of multi-system symptoms that seem to be some sort of chronic version of ME, dysautonomia, autoimmune or other "zebra" type issue yet to be diagnosed. Recently, an endocrinologist that also specializes in Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (a hunch that I had and we...
  2. J

Gut Dysbiosis/D-Lactate & Bifidobacterium

@Lassesen I've seen UBiome before, I haven't done the test yet, though. GI Effects showed that most of the species in both the bacteroidetes and firmicutes were too high, but the overall ratio was shifted highly towards bacteroidetes dominance. Perhaps I still may benefit from the bifido and...
  3. J

Gut Dysbiosis/D-Lactate & Bifidobacterium

Hello, all- I have been experimenting with different strains of probiotics. I seem to have some sort of dysbiosis that is not apparent on my GI Effects panel. Overall, it suggests that I have high levels of almost all of the bacteria types, except Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium (which are at...
  4. J

Carnitine Deficiency and OAT Metabolites

@Isaiah 58:11 this is interesting. Some science says ketones formation requires adequate carnitine levels, but other things I have read also state that excess ketones can be a sign of lower carnitine levels. My L-Carnitine Fumarate arrives tomorrow, so I will see if I notice anything when taking...
  5. J

Carnitine Deficiency and OAT Metabolites

I have recently posted in the genetics forums regarding carnitine transporter SNPs and I am doing more research into carnitine. A NutrEval I had done a couple of years ago revealed <dl Lactic Acid and ketones in the urine. From what I understand, ketones require carnitine for formation, however...
  6. J

SLC22A5 (Carnitine Transporter) & Carnitine Deficiency: Another Great Pretender?

@PinkPanda interesting regarding pyruvate dehydrogenase. Perhaps this is why @Freddd 's suggestion of L-Carnitine Fumarate works better for most people. If I remember correctly, he mentioned that the L-Carnitine Fumarate is the specific fat transporter to the mitochondria. Its very interesting...
  7. J

SLC22A5 (Carnitine Transporter) & Carnitine Deficiency: Another Great Pretender?

@alicec thanks for the information. I have seen the paper that discusses the 3 variants, however I can't translate that into the "rs number" to search if I carry those mutations. Do you know if they are SNPs or perhaps some other type of mutation? Also yes, I agree with you regarding Yasko...
  8. J

I have been doing research on this gene, as I suspect an underlying carnitine issue as a root of some of my issues. Currently, there is not much that I can find regarding which SNPs are relevant to carnitine deficiency, but I was hoping there may be someone who has more knowledge in this realm...
  9. J

Insulin/Glucose Results & Hormones

Thanks! The only way is forward. Please do let me know if your contact has any insight. Much appreciated!
  10. J

Hi @Isaiah 58:11 . Yes, my situation seems to have strange parallels to PCOS, but for obvious reasons, that is impossible in my case. It makes me wonder if is there may be some strange phenomenon by which insulin resistance may trigger hormone imbalance that somehow masks the condition and...
  11. J

@Kati thanks for listening! I have actually been able to somehow power through it and finished my Master's degree this summer, all with the goal of figuring this mess out and joining the real world. I am a bit nervous to take a job when I have no idea what the day will bring for me, but I am...
  12. J

@Kati that would be much appreciated! I do not have an ME diagnosis, but a set of symptoms that have at times mirrored ME or CFS. My problems started with what seemed like a stomach infection (h. Pylori) and my GI has not been right since, but abdominal scans, a variety of top notch stool exams...
  13. J

@Kati thanks for the response. Yes, he was suggesting a 3-month course of hydrocortisone (to be gradually weaned off of) to assist in what he said was adrenal insufficiency. I lasted a couple of days on it but realized it was making me feel worse. Being that I only took if for a couple of days...
  14. J

Hello- I am not much of a poster, but I do read many forums here and I was hoping to get some insight regarding some new test results. Last year, I was revealed to have low cortisol throughout the day, along with borderline elevated DHEA levels and elevated testosterone. I have recently...
  15. J

Genova Krebs Cycle - no Lactic Acid (<dl)...should I be worried?

Interesting. I most definitely get enough fat in my diet. I balance carbs, protein, and fat as best as I can. My fasting blood glucose has come up as slightly elevated (99-109) in the past few blood tests. Something tells me that perhaps my glycolysis is not working optimally. Thiamine (B1)...
  16. J

Genova Krebs Cycle - no Lactic Acid (<dl)...should I be worried?

Mark- Did you every find out more about your <dl lactic acid? I am wondering because I have the same result. -Jake
  17. J

NutrEval Test Results

Hello all- I am having a difficult time trying to fix some of my health issues (anxiety, depression, muscle pains, fatigue, twitching, stomach issues, etc). My nails are brittle and flakey and I am losing scalp hair (I am only 22). I had a NutrEval test done several months ago, and I have been...
  18. J

Adverse Reaction to Acetyl-Glutathione?

Hello all- I'm new to this forum and have a few questions for anybody who has any input. I am recently diagnosed with Babesia and Bartonella tick-borne diseases, and have been following the Buhner protocol with some good success. Upon researching detox methods, I stumbled upon...