• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. M

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Resistant starches differentially stimulate toll-like receptors and attenuate proinflammatory cytokines in dendritic cells by modulation of intestinal epithelial cells. (2015) SCOPE: Main objectives of this study were 1) to demonstrate direct signaling of starch on human dendritic cells (DCs)...
  2. M

Why don't you people use sesame oil pulling to help healing your GERD, guts and calm H. pylori down?
  3. M

You tell me! What if: more active immune system was after the source of some infection, dealing with it more or less successfully, perhaps... then you decided to lose weight, the immune system / the body / gut bugs felt threatened or lost the momentum, and that something bad was suddenly...
  4. M

Whatever your health improvement aim is now, shouldn't the weight (loss/stability) be only secondary? I mean you are right that the body and the gut bugs remember the previous treatment you exposed them to, and have their defenses ready, just in case.... Nobody likes to be hungry. The adipose...
  5. M

Ah, here you are: the connection is that they are both full of complex polysaccharides (not only simple sugars). And if you intend to increase real food prebiotic source, it is a good choice. Honey is a great prebiotic, actually.
  6. M

Oh sorry, forget it. The previous message should go to @whodathunkit, and I messed it all up with @Sidereal's story. Sorry.
  7. M

If you tolerate aloe mannans, and beets as well, perhaps you could try a tablespoon of honey before bed. Makes wonders on many levels.
  8. M

Is your experience maybe showing you the way: go with more beets (juice, fermented, etc)?
  9. M

I would not call RS and inulin fake fibers, only purified, without the synergy. Also I would not compare to citrus pectin (it binds to galectin-3 which plays a role in neutrophil response to candida, among many other roles) so it's not so clear what happened to @@anne_likes_red. The dose often...
  10. M

Let's look at it a bit: the difference is that beet root, plantain leaf and aloe vera are "real food" powders unlike RS, inulin which are purified fibers, with a high energy content, and a strong signalling factor for your immune system.They also contain different kinds of sugars. Your thoughts...
  11. M

Speaking of alcohol: it's spring, and dandelions will soon show up, which reminds me: what about a few drops of dandelion tincture (alcohol extract), to help with the detox and ameliorate oxidative stress? Dandelion root is full of inulin too and can be eaten, both roots and leaves.
  12. M

Sanum Therapy : Homeopathy to reduce Candida and Fungi

And, speaking of fungi and viruses, see this paper (in vitro, but I can imagine in vivo too) : Human pathogenic viruses are retained in and released by Candida albicans biofilm in vitro. (2014) "Candida albicans is the most prevalent human fungal pathogen associated with biofilm formation on...
  13. M

Sanum Therapy : Homeopathy to reduce Candida and Fungi

jepps, this is fascinating, thanks.
  14. M

Could it be that coxsackie virus attacks some of the fungi when searching a new host too, some get killed and that's why they show up in the test? Or by killing the fungi the virus get released from them, and not only your own cells?
  15. M

Sign the White House Petition to end Mandatory Flour Fortification with Folic Acid

What about those MTHFR homozygous, in danger of cancer, who clearly do not benefit from folic acid fortification? What about those with preexisting neoplasia, or on anti-folate chemotherapy? They must be very happy to be eating even more cancer fuel. Thank you very much.
  16. M

Sign the White House Petition to end Mandatory Flour Fortification with Folic Acid

It is complex and interrelated, a quote from a difficult paper: (2013) "The vitamin folate is required for methionine homeostasis in all organisms. In addition to its role in protein synthesis, methionine is the precursor to S-adenosyl-methionine (SAM), which is used in myriad cellular...
  17. M

Fortunately there are beneficial bacteria living - hopefully - in our guts that can produce some folate and the human host can benefit. Folate Production by Probiotic Bacteria (2011) Folates represent an essential nutrition component in the human diet, being involved in many metabolic...
  18. M

Here is it explained rather well: OPPOSING ROLES OF FOLATE IN PROSTATE CANCER "It has been postulated then that folate may play a dual role in tumorigenesis, depending on the amount of available folate and whether or not the cell has already become neoplastic. Indeed, animal studies have shown...