• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. G

Ron Davis featured in "nature" journal of science article

Understood, however my point is that on an individual level people can now take further responsibility for their health by educating themselves and refusing to do things which compromise their gut i.e. over use of antibiotics and vaccines, understanding of the effects of food/ drugs on their...
  2. G

Not quite 'magic' - but rather just a step in the right direction. Scientists will now focus more energy on researching the link between illness and gut micro biome. My hope is that it will mark a shift from the more traditional routes of enquiry with regards to illnesses like CFS and finally...
  3. G

This is AMAZING news and could potentially change the landscape of Medicine. Also seeing reports in the press linking Alzheimers, Autism and Motor Neurone Disease to the gut biome. Ironically CFS sufferers are amongst the canary's whom could finally shake up the medical profession into...
  4. G

Gut Bacteria Are Different in People With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (TNYT)

I would be inclined to think that is not the major factor here, but rather the lack of diversity of gut flora. What would be useful is if the scientists would identify the species of flora a particular antibiotic is likely to wipe out. That way people who have been subject to antibiotic use...
  5. G

I particularly liked the following sentence of this article: “There’s a biological difference between people with C.F.S. and healthy people,” she said. “The long-lasting idea that it’s a psychological illness should be abandoned.”
  6. G

Gut Bacteria Are Different in People With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome By NICHOLAS BAKALAR JULY 7, 2016 4:12 PM July 7, 2016 4:12 pm Comment Photo Donna Flowers, a former pro figure skater and physical therapist who works with elite athletes, was debilitated by chronic fatigue syndrome several...
  7. G

HELP NEEDED PLEASE - B12 - Which one is best with these SNP's

@caledonia thanks so much. I now realise that some of Amy Yasko's SNP's are coloured differently to other sites hence my confusion. According to the charts, I can tolerate all sorts of B12. My plan is to start at 1,000 and if I can work unto about 2,000. I just need to work out what the MAO...
  8. G

Posting all relevant snp's here: Methylation: Hetero MTHFR A1298C: +/- MTRR A664 A: +/- AHCY-19: +/- CBS C699T: +/- Homo VDR Taq: +/+ MAO-A R297R: +/+ AHCY-01: +/+ Detox: Hetero CYP1A2 164>C: +/- CYP1B1 R48G: +/- CYP2C19*17: +/- CYP2D6 S486T: +/- CYP2D6 2850C>T: +/- CYP3A4*1B: +/- SOD2...
  9. G

Hi Everyone I recently got my 23andMe results back. I ran the raw data through genetic genie and got the following results back for both methylation and detox (attached). I have read the guidance notes and generally around the subject (on heartfixer.com), although I am still confused. The...
  10. G

Need help interpreting Acumen mitochondrial functions tests ?

@Research 1st I have been trying to PM you but notice that the website is not allowing me to do so. Would it be possible to speak to you about some of the points you have highlighted above?
  11. G

B12 - manufacture and finding 'safe' versions

@garyfritz I'm pretty new around these parts but found the information in this thread useful: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/my-23andme-results-could-anyone-help-decypher-my-genetic-genie-results.30774/#post-473678
  12. G

Methylation and dysbiosis

Look into seeking health supplements - he makes them specifically for people with methylation issues. I notice you are UK based so can get them here: http://www.functionalnutritionsupplements.co.uk
  13. G

Methylation start up - what has been your experience?

@Plum who knew there was an AIP group on Facebook - I so need to get with the times - lol. I am determined to eat well. The irony is before getting ill, I was (and still am) an amazing cook. Just need to get the energy levels up :)
  14. G

@Plum so strange you mention those books - they have been in my amazon basket for ages esp the autoimmune paleo one. Somedays I feel like the money I spend on supplements might be better spent on hiring someone to cook me some yummy nutritious meals. I have had 'make bone broth' on my to do...
  15. G

@Plum my functioning is 'moderate' with some good days and other days with low functioning i.e. just resting for 80% of the day. Re diet a few months ago it wasn't so great as I was going through a stressfull time (still am). I have since cleaned it up but feel it could probably be better...
  16. G

@Plum this is the thread I was referring to. Any thoughts you could offer greatly appreciated. :)
  17. G

Thanks so much @Plum - I think I will get the 23andMe. If anything it will tell me what type of B12 I can use. I'll also look into the private Dr thing.
  18. G

Manganese Supplement?

I am mainly taking them at the direction of my nutritionist. I can tell I need them bc it tastes really strong even when taking 2-3 drops at a time, which I understand is sign of a mineral deficiency. My plan is to see how I go for a few months and the decide if there has been a noticeable...
  19. G

How would I go about getting the MB12 on private prescription? I like the idea of self mixing as I know I am only adding saline and also for freshness.
  20. G

You can get pure Methylcobalamin from Oxford Biosciences. It comes in 20 mg powdered form which you then mix with 10 ml of Saline. I draw this up in 1ml Insulin syringes and inject Subcutaneously. Oxford Biosciences are recommended by the Pernicious Anaemia society of GB (UK)...
  21. G

Manganese Supplement?

At the moment I am supplementing with Biocare Manganese drops.
  22. G

Need help interpreting Acumen mitochondrial functions tests ?

Hi @Plum - I have since investigated these results further and think I may have found some of the underlying reasons for the results. I think you may be on the right path in considering co-infections as I have in my case having also carried out very comprehensive stool sampling which revealed...
  23. G

Substantial relief from alcohol

Probably the alcohol sterilising your gut.
  24. G

@Freddd would appreciate your thoughts on this one. Thanks GoodVibes
  25. G

Glutathione: Pro / Con arguments confuse me!

Ok - I am still a little confused by this assertion, given that the main aim of methylation is to increase the production of GSH, yet paradoxically supplementing with GSH would cause a methyl trap?
  26. G

Hi @Freddd are there any studies/ further evidence to back this statement up?
  27. G

B vitamins "honeymoon" over...

@Ninan can you please explain what you mean by 'getting the co-factors right'?
  28. G

@PeterPositive thanks for confirming. I ask because there are countless instances where I have witnessed warnings against taking NAC (cysteine) - even this thread itself.
  29. G

I have seen threads where there have been warnings against taking Glutathione percusors, does this warning also extend to amino acids that build GSH e.g. L-Glutamine, Glycine and Cysteine ?
  30. G

Hi everyone, :) I am relatively new to the board having joined a few months ago, however have mainly used the board for information in the past. Recently I had the acumen test and based upon my results my nutritionist suggested what seems like a methylation protocol i.e. Multi, B12 and Methyl...