• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. R

Vitamin D and Butyrate or Resistant/Potato Starch?

There is actually quite a lot of data on resistant starch - see www.ResistantStarchResearch.com for details on a lot of it (including the 289 published human clinical trials). I'm not sure there's enough human data to answer your question about Vitamin D, however, as you've already found some of...
  2. R

Paleolithic people ate porridge

Minimizing refined carbohydrates does not reverse insulin resistance - it likely just prevents it from getting worse. In contrast, resistant starch significantly improves insulin resistance (see the U.S. FDA health claim petition submitted earlier this year at...
  3. R

Paleolithic people ate porridge

I don't think that oat RS3 forms nearly as easily as potato or rice simply due to the fact that the starch content in oats is much less. The retrogradation is strongly impacted by other molecules that get in the way of the attraction and bonds of the glucose chains once they have been freed by...
  4. R

Is Resistant Starch Diet = SCD? A variation?

Resistant starch first feeds Ruminococcus bromii, which appears to be a keystone species that first breaks down resistant starch into fragments, so that a wider variety of bacteria can ferment it. Bifido does increase, but only if Ruminococcus is also present. Ruminococcus does produce...
  5. R

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Human and animal studies have shown that resistant starch increases fat oxidation and increases insulin sensitivity. Janine Higgins and her colleagues at the University of Colorado reported increased fat oxidation by 23% in healthy adults (Higgins et al. Resistant starch consumption promotes...