• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. G

Hydroxy B12 Causing Sedation

I've been taking hydroxy B12 for 2 1/2 yrs and it has helped tremendously. I have lyme and cannot tolerate methyls. Hydroxy has worked great for fatigue and neuropathy. All of the sudden, when I take Hydroxy now, I get extremely sleepy and sedated. My head feels strange too. This is even...
  2. G

Duration of Methylation Startup

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm moving pretty slowly. I've been taking lithium orotate for several months and it appears my levels must have finally risen after all this time. It is allowing the B12 into my cells. The B12 makes me feel better but don't like having to add potassium throughout...
  3. G

Duration of Methylation Startup

Does anyone know how long methylation start-up lasts? I'm having to add more potassium which I expected from everything I've read. I'm wondering how long it will take for symptoms to settle down.
  4. G

Methylation Start Up and Improved Thyroid Function

I had been taking low dose methyl B12 for quite a while but my levels were super high. That's because my lithium was so deficient. All I know is within a few days of methylation starting, I went hyper. Hope someone here has some experience with this. Here is the link to the posts I found...
  5. G

Methylation Start Up and Improved Thyroid Function

I recently started having symptoms of methylation start-up after taking low dose lithium orotate for several months to push B12 into my cells. Hair testing showed I was excessively excreting lithium and very deficient in cobalamin. Now all of the sudden, I have hyperthyroid symptoms. I have...
  6. G

Freezing Feet With Neuropathy

I have lyme with a few coinfections. I've been treating for a little over a yr and doing much better. My B12 level has been greater than 2000 for over 2 yrs. Had hair testing and results showed my Cobalt and Lithium levels to be deficient. Since Lithium is needed to push B12 into the cells...
  7. G

Accurate Detection of a B12 Deficiency

My B12 level was normal 2 yrs ago. Several months ago, I took methyl B12 for for a while because I had many symptoms of a B12 deficiency. I started feeling much better but then developed some thyroid issues and felt too sick to take much of anything. Surely if the supplementation months ago...
  8. G

Accurate Detection of a B12 Deficiency

I've posted before about my serum B12 levels being over 2000 without supplementing. I was told that could mean a functional deficiency. I've also read that in several places. I've had two homocysteine tests and a methylmalonic acid test. They were both negative for a B12 deficiency. I've...
  9. G

High RBC and B12

I had my selenium tested recently. It was normal. I've also had heavy metals tested and they were normal as well.
  10. G

High RBC and B12

Thank you for your reply JE S. I actually had the high B12 level before I started supplementing. It didn't change after supplementing even though I thought I probably had a functional deficiency at the time based on my symptoms at the time. I just wonder why it's so high. It was normal 2...
  11. G

High RBC and B12

Sure hope someone can give me their insight. As I've posted previously, my B12 level is very high (greater than 2000). I developed many symptoms of a B12 deficiency and took methyl B12 for several months. I felt better but my level never dropped. I do have MTHFR and hypothyroidism...
  12. G

Hydoxy B12 and Potassium

I know a lot of the older posts I read say that Hydroxy B12 doesn't lower potassium like Methyl B12 does. Although, I thought I read later that wasn't the case. Can someone tell me if it does indeed lower potassium like the methyl version does?
  13. G

Methyl B12 or Hydroxy for a Deficiency?

Thanks very much for your lengthy reply. This was extremely helpful! I am going to be doing further testing.
  14. G

Thanks Valentijn. Her bio says she is a board certified Alternative Medical Practitioner, a board certified Holistic Health Practitioner and is a Fellow of the American Association of Integrative Medicine so sounds like she could treat patients in some states. Although, that is not important...
  15. G

Thank you for your reply Alicec. It was very helpful. The claims by the thyroid forum admins come from researching the sites of the 3 doctors I mentioned in my initial post. Info is not meant to mislead but to inform. It seems Dr. Yasko's statements come from her experience in treating her...
  16. G

I have MTHFR and seem to have a functional deficiency of B12. My level was greater than 2000 over a year ago without supplementation. I started treating it several months ago with methyl B12 and Dibencozide and symptoms have improved greatly. However, my levels remain unchanged. According to...
  17. G

Gilberts Sydrom. e and Milk Thistle

Does anyone know if milk thistle is safe to take when you have Gilberts Syndrome? I've read a lot of sites that say it is but a few say it is not. I read this quote on one site: "Milk thistle is great for liver but not recommended for Gilbert's, because it helps path 1 detoxification and with...
  18. G

Liver Detox with CBS Mutation

Thank you for your replies. This gives me some direction. I will give it a try and see how I feel.
  19. G

Thanks Valentijn. I have read in quite a few places that sulfur based supplements cause issues in people with CBS mutations. I will say that NAC makes me feel terrible.
  20. G

I have MTHFR with a ++CBS mutation. I also have Gilbert Syndrome so my bilirubin is high. I have thyroid disease and am having a terrible time with T3 conversion. Most of it occurs in the liver which makes it even worse. I've read I'm not supposed to take Milk Thistle since it is sulfur...
  21. G

Postassium Usage

I have MTHFR and have been taking methyl B12 for a few months now. Also, labs had shown I had a functional deficiency. Within the last few days, I have had symptoms of low potassium. I've supplemented with potassium which helped greatly. I know potassium is needed when new cells are being...
  22. G

Timeframe for Treating a B12 Deficiency

Thanks very much for your replies. I am currently taking zinc as well and paying close attention to symptoms. When I first started taking the B12, I felt SO much better. I could finally breath and felt normal again. Within 2 weeks, major shortness of breath returned. I'm thinking new cells...
  23. G

Timeframe for Treating a B12 Deficiency

I searched this forum and also online but have not found an answer. I'm sure everyone is different depending on their health issues but what is the general timeframe to cure a B12 deficiency? One of my docs said it takes a long time. I've read that online as well. However, no one seems to...
  24. G

High B12 Levels When Taking Methyl B

Thanks very much for your reply. My potassium was 4.6 so most likely not the issue. I have also been consuming a fair amout of potassium rich food daily including coconut water to try and keep my levels from falling. It has been 4.6 for a while now. Thyroid labs have not changed. I will get...
  25. G

High B12 Levels When Taking Methyl B

I know from reading here you can have a functional B12 deficiency and have normal B12 levels. I have MTHFR, high cortisol, hypothyrodism, and 24/7 shortness of breath. I've been treating the high cortisol for months now and is better. My glucose levels are finally in the normal range and...
  26. G

Excess Iodine

I'm thinking I could have a deficiency since I excreted double the acceptable level. At least it appears this could be the case after researching. Thoughts?
  27. G

Excess Iodine

It was a 24 hr urine but I took no iodoral. I also did not eat any seafood or anything with iodine. I will admit I stopped taking my methylfolate for a few days as I was taking quite a few other supplements and just got pushed to the side. I also read if methylation stops, that can cause...
  28. G

Excess Iodine

I just received results of my urine iodine test. My levels are almost double what they should be. I have high cortisol and have been taking Seriphos to bring it down. Because it is methylated, I've been taking 250 mgs no-flush niacin with it three times per day. I've read a couple of short...