• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. D

Being Goldilocks - too much, too little, and "just right"

Hi Snowdrop, I totally agree. One of the fundamental problems with any research is that of bias. It can be either commercial bias, or the bias of pride - or even unconscious "selection bias" or errors in methodology. The pharma industry is no great friend of mine, and an exampe of that is...
  2. D

Hi - I really do sympathise with you. Just six months ago, I thought I was going mad. I had gone from being an athlete, a multitasker in a high-performance job... to being so exhausted I could only manage the one-block walk to the supermarket once per week. My memory had degraded to the point...
  3. D

Because things have a cause. This isn't lightning hitting. This is biology. Biology is chemistry - it's not unpredictable. There is a cause, and if you determine this, you will determine the solution. This isn't black magic. Maybe the problem is how you're looking at it. A cure for "cancer"...
  4. D

OK, so I see you trying a bunch of medications. That's all well and good - but what I see, is you trying to address a bunch of symptoms. I don't see a root cause either theorized or treated in your list. So: you know what didn't work. You know (I assume) what works for you. Now, here's the 64...
  5. D

I kind of agree about antidepressants, and kind of disagree. It is true that SSRIs are not effective in up to 40% of cases, and are not a "cure" in many others. But science is very clear that they shouldn't be. Depression doesn't have a single etiology, so how can you expect it to have a single...
  6. D

One thing I do take issue with is the word "homeopathic". To me, this is a prime example of how snake-oil has slipped into science-based treatment. Homeopathic remedies are not useless. They are sometimes a little better than useless. They are often worse than useless, because people turn to...
  7. D

FYI, I've changed the title as some people have found it inflammatory. I apologise if that was the case. The title was meant to pique interest, not to enrage. It should be news to nobody that too much of a vitamin or a supplement can be toxic, and so it never occurred to me that this...
  8. D

You could have taken the words out of my own mouth. This is exactly what I experienced too - in every detail, from setting fire to the kitchen, to being unable to floss AND brush. I, too, had an amazing recovery from the brink of death...and it was not due to conventional medicine that I...
  9. D

Wow: I must say I am (pleasantly) surprised by the number of responses here in such a short time. I look forward to discussions with you all! For the record, I should note that I'm not coming from a position against self-treatment, or the methylation cycle. Indeed, I take my hat off to Freddd...
  10. D

Hi all, This my first post here and it starts with an apology: I'm sorry it won't be an upbeat one! I hope to make up for this in future writings, and I look forward to introducing myself properly shortly. This concerns a point which, in 4 months of following this forum, I feel needs to be...