• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. M

Study: Vitamin B may not reduce risk of memory loss

Feel free to pick this apart yourself. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-11/aaon-svb110614.php Study: Vitamin B may not reduce risk of memory loss MINNEAPOLIS - Taking vitamin B12 and folic acid supplements may not reduce the risk of memory and thinking problems after all, according...
  2. M

Supplement suppliers.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions on the trustworthiness of these two companines as suppliers for supplements. I am tending to trust Thorne more because it is based out of Australia. I purcahsed 5-MTHF from Thorne in the past.
  3. M

My homozygous MTHFR SNPS:

These are my homozygous MTHFR SNPS: MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 G GG +/+ MTHFR rs1476413 T TT +/+ MTHFR rs3737964 T TT +/+ MTHFR rs4846048 G GG +/+ MTHFR rs4846049 T TT +/+ I definitely see how this SNP effects me now. It seems I can lower my systolic blood pressure (This mornings reading went from...
  4. M

Diets high in Serine.

First, these are my transulfuration related SNPS: CBS A13637G rs2851391 CT +/- Heterozygous CBS C19150T rs4920037 AG +/- Heterozygous CBS C699T rs234706 AA Homozygous SUOX rs10876864 AG Heterozygous My dietary reactions: High protein diet, High thiol foods, high sulfite wines, NAC (the...
  5. M

So I have a mao b mutation but normal mao a?

Yeah, sorry about the links. I took down my blog, it was distracting me. And I was getting to many emails and questions from their and the facebook group as well.
  6. M

My 23andMe results - how bad are they?

Your SNPs do not look that bad, you might need more MethylB12 than the 500mcg. I need to take 5000-7000mcg to feel normal but my SNPs are more complicated. But being that you are Vegan it might be something to look at.
  7. M

Dupuytren’s Disease?

Same here, not too advanced. My grandmother's hand was curled tight. I am looking at your SNPs and I see some similarities. Seems to be associated with the Wnt Signalling Pathway as well http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21732829 Wondering if you could look up your SNPs for these: FRZB -...
  8. M

Dupuytren’s Disease?

Anyone here have it? Or ever have trouble with plantar fasciitis? Looking to compare some genes.
  9. M

23andme & Chronic insomnia and family history of psychiatric/CNS disorders

First, just to get the nomenclature correct; A gene can have many nucleotides. A SNP is a mutation in a SINGLE nucleotide, hence the term Single Nucleotide Polymorphism. So you can have one, or many SNPs in a single gene. Yes, that SNP is being researched. Now I am making an educated guess at...
  10. M

BH4 will take care of it self. Keep it simple, you just have to fix a few things and the gears get moving. SOD3 only needs maganese as a cofactor, and iron but that is usually no a problem with guys. Just work on th b6 and diet. Yes, i was paraphrasing about the liver. It is just an important...
  11. M

Methylation happen a billion of times a second. Really, it does. And methylation is not one process. Methylation is anytime a methyl group is added to a compound. So it can happen anywhere in the body. http://drlwilson.com/Articles/METHYLATION.htm
  12. M

Please help me understand my 23andMe results

Yes, watch that BP, you sound a lot like me. I was fine until my early 40s.
  13. M

Ha, woops, my eyes seem to be crazy, thanks for the correction.
  14. M

My two cents worth of advice. R-ALA, Creatine, piracetam, they are all bandaids and do not work on the root of the issue which is supporting the enzymes that have SNPs. They will lead to side effects just like pharmaceutical drugs do. And creatine, well...
  15. M

Mind if I ask your age? You can be general about it. The reason I am asking is because of your ACE and NOS SNPs. I have the same SNPs, well some more than you in the NOS2 gene. My blood pressure was fine till I passed 40 and now it just hangs at borderline high. 140/90 I am veg/pesc as well as...
  16. M

Do you have any blood pressure issues?
  17. M

free tools for analysis

Yes, I agree with your comment. I like MTHFRSupport much better. I took down my blog for various reasons but if it was still up I would change it. :)
  18. M

I take 10,000 IU Vitamin A and 5000IU Vitamin D3 to help bile production but I have some SNPs that demand that. This helps my gut since Bile is important to digesting fats and proteins. All of this stuff is happening in the liver anyway so anything you do to help your methylation cycle helps...
  19. M

23andMe results- let the journey begin!

@goognie8473 - You look like you have my genes and I had all of your issues. Except the PMS cause I am a dude. You need to be careful about the coffee, but not about the caffeine. Coffee has a HUGE amount of riboflavin. Roboflavin is great for MTHFR but it speeds up the Methionine cycle and...
  20. M

Use of SNPs to distinguish gene expression subtypes of CFS/ME

Osteoblast activity and IL6, makes sense why more women would have issues with CFS. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2121824 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jbmr.5650110208/abstract...
  21. M

First, I took down my blog, I was getting too many people emailing me and it was distracting me. Yes, that Pyridoxal Phosphate you got is fine. You do not need to split it in half, just take one in the morning or at lunch. After a while you might try to take it at dinner. I feel like it helps...
  22. M

free tools for analysis

http://methylmutant.blogspot.com/p/hack-your-genes.html
  23. M

When I see lack of sleep I see people "hyped up" when they should not be, that makes me look at the HPA axis for any mutations. Hence the AGT mutation. You sound like me with the heart palpitations and the Docs also said I needed to "relax" to lower my blood pressure. It does not work. Your...
  24. M

Briefly, because it is late. Don't bother with the Yasko/Lynch bunch, they are trying to make a buck. I would look into: Rs699 AGT M235T/C4072T It has to do with stress and arousal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renin–angiotensin_system And maybe all the NOS3 genes...
  25. M

CYP1B1 and COMT homozygous

Get your Promethease report. It is the most reliable. Eat more Tofu for the phytoestrogens. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1850957/
  26. M

These tests will not help you with your insomnia. You need to get the 23andme test. The low homocysteine is a signal you need to get your genetic profile to figure out what is going on. But if you want to go down the slow road of blood testing: Serum B12 MethylMalonic Acid Test Folate If...
  27. M

So I have a mao b mutation but normal mao a?

Yes, MAO-B SNPs will cause a faster catabolism of dopamine, and to a much lesser extent, of serotonin as well Yes, MAO-A plays a larger role than MAO-B. in the catabolism of Serotonin (One of the MAO-A SNPs can actually speed up Serotonin catabolism). MAO-B still plays a role but a smaller one...
  28. M

querying raw data in 23andme

Version is synonymous with "allele". It just tells you which alleles to expect in the genotype. You cannot tell whether the the gene is a mutation or not on 23andme: http://methylmutant.blogspot.com/p/hack-your-genes.html
  29. M

COMT Val/met SNP - do tea catechins bother you??

Yes, I certainly do. I am COMT ++ I git the shakes and palpitations pretty bad, and I have to pee like 40 times a day and it is difficult to start as well. For the longest time I thought I was being "healthy" drinking green tea. It was not until I got my genetic profile that I figured out how...
  30. M

Treating CBS Mutation

This is why I took the P5P and why it helped me. Talk to your doctor about it.