• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. A

Help please? Homozygous for MTHFR C677T / COMT V158M / COMT H62H / VDR Bsm

All forms of cobalamin are processed within the cell in the same way. First the upper axial ligand (the methyl, adenosyl, hydroxy or cyano group) is removed. The underivatised cobalamin is then directed to the two B12 dependent enzymes according to the needs of the cell. A methyl or adenosyl...
  2. A

COMT++ MTR++ MTRR -+

Unfortunately the latter, in the first instance at least. 23andme themselves indicate that any pathogenic variants identified be confirmed by further testing by a clinical genetics laboratory - ie think of 23andme as an initial screening device. Once you have identified potentially serious...
  3. A

COMT++ MTR++ MTRR -+

Nutrahacker is not a reliable source of information. It cuts and pastes stuff from all over the internet, sometimes contradictory, usually without any real understanding of the SNPs and their effect. A good illustration of one of the various misleading features of their reports is treating the...
  4. A

High prolactin

Lots of things can affect neurotransmitter balance - you would need to do more research based on your own circumstances. You might not find any particular reason but it could be worthwhile trying dopamine boosting supplements to see if it makes a difference. You may need to try these...
  5. A

High prolactin

Exactly
  6. A

High prolactin

I assume you are referring to rs4680, AKA V158M. Approximately 50% of people are +/- for this SNP so this represents average or normal dopamine breakdown rate. Approx 30% are -/- and so break it down a little faster while approx 20 % are +/+ and break it down a little slower. There are different...
  7. A

High prolactin

Dopamine acts as an inhibitor of prolactin release and blood prolactin levels are sometimes used as a surrogate marker of brain dopamine levels. High prolactin suggests low dopamine.
  8. A

REFEEDING SYNDROME - The clues to healing via induced deficiencies

I don't have any special knowledge of this. In general, the method that provides the least radiation for the shortest time that is able to give the information needed is the thing to go for. As far as I know, PET scans provide information that is not available from other scanning techniques, so...
  9. A

LDN Naltrexone side effects

No sorry. For me, I have not noticed much effect of LDN on mood, sleep or energy, perhaps a mildly beneficial effect on pain (but pain is not a bit issue with me). It's all about OI for me. Again for me, LDN was a bit of a marathon but I have read of many people who were able to start with...
  10. A

Help and experiences with MTR++/MTRR++ please

High THF and MeTHF would inhibit DHFR, meaning it is less able to recycle BH4. I doubt that we can assume that high THF will reduce demand for DHF>THF conversion by the enzyme since that is more likely to be driven by DHF levels - ie by TYMS activity which produces DHF. If the assumption did...
  11. A

I'm not sure what you mean by "and the same for 5MTHF". DHFR doesn't produce MeTHF, it produces THF. The latter does feed into the folate cycle, one product of which is MeTHF, but there are several steps in between and several different enzyme systems operating, each of which have their own set...
  12. A

LDN Naltrexone side effects

First I don't have POTS. I do have NMH plus a vaguer orthostatic intolerance that doesn't necessarily involve BP or HR changes, just the overwhelming feeling that I have to lie down and doing so makes me feel a lot better. Both of these conditions have been resolved by LDN. When I first tried...
  13. A

MeTHF is an inhibitor of DHFR so I don't think that mechanism would apply. However MeTHF is a potent peroxynitrile scavenger so acts to spare BH4.
  14. A

Confused about folate differences

Folic acid is processed by the enzyme dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) which acts on it in two steps. First folic acid is converted to dihydrofolate (DHF), then DHF is converted to tetrahydrofolate (THF). This second reaction is the normal reaction for DHFR - ie DHF is its natural substrate. THF...
  15. A

VDR help please

Those SNPs have a minimal effect on VDR function - a slight downregulation of receptor function which has no consequence. There is no effect on vitamin D production. Here is a thread discussing VDR variants which do have some consequence. Here is a thread discussing the controversy at the time...
  16. A

Methyl Trap, Paradoxical Folate Deficiency or...

I apply the whole B12 dose when I first get up. Note this is topical which has different uptake characteristics. If you are using sublingual you'd probably be better off spreading out smallish doses over the day. I divide the methylfolate into 3 doses spread over the day, taking the first at...
  17. A

B12 supplements increase cancer risk in men

That's not quite right. You say that the body limits uptake of B12 when in fact it is set up to efficiently take up and reuse every skerrick it encounters. Very little is wasted - ie excreted. This is because cobalamin is a very rare substance. The capacity of the intrinsic factor system to...
  18. A

REFEEDING SYNDROME - The clues to healing via induced deficiencies

I don't think that is quite right. For now, set aside NMN and NR - I think that is a red herring. What I think is being referred to with TMG and methylation in the mitochondrion is the following series of reactions. Consider Fig 1 in this paper. On the right hand side of the mitochondrial...
  19. A

Stool Analysis - Recommendations?

They don't use PCR, they use complete metagenomic sequencing. I've sent my sample off. They said results will take about 4 weeks so a couple of weeks to wait. I'll report back when I get them.
  20. A

1 mg methylB12 topical, 8 mg methylfolate oral.
  21. A

Just enough in general. There is no fixed ratio - work out what suits you best. I always seem to need more folate than B12.
  22. A

Keep it simple. If you start supplementing with B12, folate and related nutrients, particularly if in reasonable quantities, you may find that your need for folate and/or potassium suddenly increases. You may start to get a variety of unpleasant symptoms. Freddd tried to categorise these but I...
  23. A

Adenosylcobalamin

You seem to miss the point that the form of cobalamin we ingest has no influence on the different cobalamin functions within the cell. It is not used directly so it cannot affect any particular job we might want it to do. All forms are immediately processed to an identical intermediate. The...
  24. A

Adenosylcobalamin

Not quite. If we take methylcobalamin, it is not used directly. Instead, once taken into the cell, the methyl group is removed and the cobalamin is directed to MTR and MUT according to need. A methyl group is added at MTR and adenosyl at MUT. Other forms such as hydroxy are processed in the...
  25. A

Adenosylcobalamin

You should take the form of B12 that you tolerate best. All forms of B12 are processed when taken into the cell. The upper axial ligand (the methyl, hydroxy, adenosyl, cyano group) is removed and the cobalamin is then directed to the two B12 dependant enzymes (MTR and MUT) according to need...
  26. A

Doing a Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS)

WGS or WES (whole genome or whole exome screening) provide far more information than services like ancestry or 23andme. The latter test only selected SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms) across the genome. WGS sequences the entire genome, WES sequences all the protein coding regions. If she...
  27. A

No love of B2 here - a warning about riboflavin

I read it - it is wrong. Just because someone claims something on the internet doesn't mean it is correct. The statement is based on the complete misreading of research by Amy Yasko when she claimed that the MTHFR reaction ran in reverse and in doing so regenerated BH4. This has since been...
  28. A

Food sources of L-Methylfolate?

Here and here are a couple of posts relevant to folate forms in vegetables, along with studies analysing content in vegetables and fruit. The website you quote is not correct in saying that small amounts of folic acid are found in vegetables. Folic acid is not found in nature, it is a synthetic...
  29. A

The Great VDR Taq/Bsm Debate

I doubt they would be interested in hearing this. They are pushing a particular line trying to convince people that common SNPs somehow need "treating". There is a whole internet industry out there trying to do the same thing. Most of the information they offer is dubious. The best can be said...
  30. A

Interesting VDR Variations

GG is the normal version of the gene shared by almost everyone so definitely nothing to worry about. The A allele is the very rare variant but it does not appear to have any significant effect. So this SNP is not important. There are plenty of simplified genetics courses around that will help...