• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. L

Where to start on gut treatment

Thankyou very much for the replies which have given a lot to think about. I don't eat food with sugar added - haven't for years - i.e. cake, puddings etc. But four or five days a week I eat fruit for afternon snack e.g. two apples or nectarines - I am trying to cut back because the sugar may...
  2. L

Where to start on gut treatment

Where to begin e.g. what are different gut issues and how know if I have them? Is there a page on the forum about this - I can't find anything. Thank you kindly for any advice.
  3. L

Magnesium - what's best kind to take

Thankyou kindly for all the replies. I tried my magnesium citrate yesterday for the first time - about a third of a level teaspoon and it caused a strong burning feeling in my stomach that lasted all through the night.
  4. L

Thanks everyone. The citrate I was referring to as bitter is zinc citrate, maybe not really bitter but more like strong and odd tasting. But nearly all supplements produce horrible taste in mouth hours after taking them not because any is left in my mouth (some are capsules swallowed) but...
  5. L

For those trying methylation, anyone have an opinion on best type magnesium. I see citrate and glycinate mentioned a lot. Have often wondered whether citrate is not good for me, tastes a bit bitter.
  6. L

Would 23andme be useful for our family? - why father not got ME, rest of us have.

Many thanks for the replies, really kind. Thanks for the warning, alex3619, re rapid blood removal, can't afford another crash of any sort, glad you told me that, and thanks for the tip re. hypovolemic.
  7. L

Can't tolerate Vitamin D supplements

That's really interesting. Thanks!
  8. L

Thankyou very much for all the useful info, now digesting. When I lie in sun, no bad reaction like supplements, but problem is can't get out the front door very often. Thinking re. UV lamp. Mother and two sisters also have ME but no trouble with D3 supplement, don't know why just me. Today...
  9. L

Did finger-prick blood Vit D test - result 41 (normal over 50). GP did test years back - result 19 - but then went up to IIRC 54. Would like mine over 100 because so important. Problem is for years haven't tolerated supplement - some allergic to filler, others filler okay but vit D itself...
  10. L

What brand of B12 and folate and where can I buy in UK

Many thanks for replies. Bought those two original ones again for another go. The Enymatic Therpay did make my B12 high in test by GP but no effect on symptoms. Will keep transdermal in mind too - thanks for tip
  11. L

Would 23andme be useful for our family? - why father not got ME, rest of us have.

Many thanks for replies - much appreciated, given me better perspective. Sounds complicated, beyond my ME brain to process results myself. Thanks for tip about full genome testing, will remember that. @Valentijn we haven't had mitochondrial testing, not sure what is. Just got iron results back...
  12. L

I have had severe M.E. for 30 years since aged 20 and am bedbound except can get out to go to toilet. My mother (mostly housebound) and two sisters (mostly bedbound) also have severe M.E. Thankfully our father doesn’t have ME even though we all live together. If we had genetic testing would it...
  13. L

What brand of B12 and folate and where can I buy in UK

I live in UK. Few years ago took Enzymatic Therapy B12 and Solgar Metafolin. Want to try again. What are regarded as best brands now and where to buy? Enymatic Therapy not sold much in UK now. Many thanks.