• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. E

First time in remission with ketogenic diet

@leokitten 1) The diet works well for me when I do carb cycling, use C8 (brain octane) and take Cod Liver Oil. The fats REALLY count... ie, C8 is WAY better than coconut oil. 2) specific carb grams are stated above 3) typical macros = 60% fat; 10% carbs; 30% protein ... I started higher fat...
  2. E

@leokitten have you tried carb cycling? ie, 30-50 grams carbs most days and <100 grams carbs 1-2 days a week or every other week? I've found this very helpful.. I feel way better doing carb cycling (energy-wise and cognitively) than doing low carb (defined as 30-50 grams carbs) every single...
  3. E

Any benefit from Nitrous Oxide?

@Swim15 where did you get nitrous?
  4. E

has anyone used a saunders cervical traction device?

She didn't say anything directly about foam roller widths for neck, but the lady in the MELT youtube video i posted is using a fairly thick foam roller.... It's a good question. Do you think your PT would respond if you emailed her that video and asked about foam roller thickness?? The PT I...
  5. E

FYI Here are some of the exercises that my PT sent me ... Neck Release (from MELT method, which she is a big fan of..) Thoracic Spine Foam Roller "Self Myofascial Release"
  6. E

I've def had rebound pain, which is similar to what you're saying.... Anything that helps my pain just pisses it off even more, so it comes roaring back the next day, or whenever the drug wears off.. I've had better luck w natural solutions, e.g., CLO and vitamin C and Wobenzym... but I'm still...
  7. E

are you "fluent" in MRI imaging? I would love to know what someone else says besides my doc, but I'm too sick to dig out the image (it's on a disk and I have to find my disk drive somewhere in my closet, and i'm just too tired w all the california wildfire pollution)... BUT, in general, I would...
  8. E

this is the list of tests, per my notes... I only had Cervical (supine, no contract) which is why those ones are bolded... Which ones are flexion/extension or rotation? none? what is missing from my list? The dx is stenosis and bulging discs CHIARI MRI Brain (supine, no contrast) MRI...
  9. E

@Jyoti did it help w fatigue, aches/pains, brain fog?
  10. E

Signs you should get tested for CCI/AAI/chiari/stenosis/etc?

hip, I was dx w cervical stenosis after an MRI... the doctor was extremely dismissive, and said stenosis was very common... is this true? do you know what % of cases are problematic?
  11. E

immunosuppressive in what way? eg lowers NK cells? due to the Vitamin A? I've heard that Vitamin A is a little tricky.. I am careful re the upper limit of Vitamin A; I never take more than 450 mcg, and that's rare... usually it's 270 mcg
  12. E

does N2O reduce brain inflammation?
  13. E

what does NO do for the brain? on a related note: I've been taking a lot of cod liver oil lately, which includes omega's and vitamin A, D and E... Omega's and D have always been helpful, but the vitamin A and maybe vitamin E have REALLY helped my head, brining down inflammation / pressure in...
  14. E

@Jyoti My chiropractor showed me how to do an over the doorknob method with a homegrown device (towel, stretchy band, duct tape)... it seems safer than some of the contraptions out there, and is gentle traction that doesn't pull on my jaw or lift my head at a weird angle (also supine...
  15. E

@Jyoti did you need PT help in calibrating the saunders device? I went to a PT for a couple of sessions and she was useless.... She didn't even seem to know what a Saunders device was, and didn't offer to find out and even said that i should ask my general doctor - which is absurd. however...
  16. E

different...but, similar at all? don't they both play into the ONOO theory of Martin Pall? I thought they were similar agents that both act as vasodilators, but not sure... I'd love to understand more on this subject ... it seems key to oxygenating the blood: How can some people live at high...
  17. E

I've gotten some benefits from beets / beet juice ... I might try it again https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nitric-oxide-foods#:~:text=1.,Beets&text=Beets%20are%20rich%20in%20dietary,just%2045%20minutes%20(%205%20). 2nd - does anyone know how altitude affects nitric oxide in the body...
  18. E

(or, something similar) what was your experience?
  19. E

Does anyone with CFS get back to 100% ever?

I've been sick since I was a kid, and I'm middle-aged now... I've been on a push-crash cycle for most of my life (btw...ARE you recovered, or in remission?) I've been VERY determined about it all, but running out hope lately...
  20. E

how long were you sick, and how old are you now?
  21. E

What do you attribute the changes to? ie, some say gluten triggers autoantibodies in Hashi's
  22. E

did you ever try Calcium Pyruvate, and, if so, what were the effects? I'm a little afraid to mess w pyruvate myself https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/calcium-pyruvate#3 -- @leokitten my 2nd, 3rd and 4th pyruvate questions are for you: 2nd, if pyruvate helps the breakdown of fat, and...
  23. E

what helped you recover? 2nd.. as a marathoner, you may use a normatec (or similar system)... I've wondered if this could help pain and fatigue b/c doing the foam roller (especially on IT band) really seems to help... BUT there are days I don't want to get down on the floor and roll around :-)...
  24. E

The Controversy of Antioxidants

do you know if intranasal glutathione can cross the blood-brain barrier?
  25. E

Fauci likens “Long-haul” Covid-19 patients to ME/CFS patients

@Sushi ah, thanks.... I've read this but forgot... I have been reading about TRP channels and making an assumption that impaired glycolosis is due to that (which it still could be...).. thanks for reminding me.. does the impaired CD4 + CD8 show up on a complement test?
  26. E

any effect on NK cells? I don't know much about T cells or how they cause problems for CFS..
  27. E

Sugar Craving

a ketogenic diet has helped me.. I play around w the macros (carbs/protein/fat) a lot to find what works for me, so there's not a shortcut on that front (ie, your percentages of carbs/protein/fat could be entirely diff than mine..) re how I got in this path in the first place: my thinking was...
  28. E

Antibodies for Covid don't last long, which is bad news for a vaccine as a "silver bullet" HOWEVER, it could have a silver lining for CFS/ME b/c the focus will shift to treating the acute AND post viral stages better...
  29. E

Here's another Fauci interview w more references to CFS or post viral problems... I'm taking this as a good sign that the earlier references aren't just a momentary POV... I hope it sticks and he commits $$ to research...
  30. E

The MEA produces a good, simplified 6-page leaflet on ME research findings free

@JaimeS prepared this excellent research summary for ME Action. I think they have two different audiences...ie, I'd say if you want to influence a doctor, use the one from Jaime because it's directly linked to peer-reviewed research, whereas the other one seems to mostly link to an advocacy...