• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. B

Potassium dilemma?

@Victronix , thanks for sharing this. I can relate to your experience with the self-treatment – that cycle of adding something, waiting for your body to adapt, then getting symptoms and doing more trial & error. Your methylation must have really escalated as you increased the methylfolate, which...
  2. B

Potassium dilemma?

Thanks for this info. That's interesting; I will look into it more. Yeah, self-experimentation sounds familiar. Doing the same here!
  3. B

Potassium dilemma?

@Gondwanaland, thank you for the links. Wow, a lot of good information here. Your suggestion about balancing electrolytes is extremely useful for me. I think you are right -- I need to do that before anything else. I am now realizing that this is critical. Question: When you said that...
  4. B

Potassium dilemma?

@Victronix – Thanks for the analysis – that helps. It's a very good idea to try the food-based potassium, and see what changes. I need to go very carefully in case I have high potassium. I wish I could try the B12 experiment, but I'm afraid it isn't safe for me right now. Ever since I was...
  5. B

Potassium dilemma?

@Gondwanaland – It could be ammonia... I thought it was ammonia at first, but that doesn't explain why I didn't have brain symptoms, like brain fog, confusion etc, while I had the heart problems. I've had high ammonia episodes where my brain was severely affected, without heart problems. But...
  6. B

Potassium dilemma?

One year ago, when I was given high doses of B12 & folic acid, I developed heart failure symptoms – chest pains, shortness of breath, palpitations at the slightest exertion, and arrhythmia. I ended up in the ER. Also I was so weak that I could barely stand without leaning on something; my arms...
  7. B

My 23andMe results – help please

Thanks for that info, TheGrandWazoo and sueami. It sounds like those SNPs are more important than I thought. As I said, so far I've just been trying to understand the CBS and MTHFR mutations. I'm not yet treating my MTHFR mutation. From what I've read, it's important to treat the CBS mutation...
  8. B

Hi TheGrandWazoo, thanks for your reply. I haven't had a chance to read about the COMT and MAOA mutations, so I didn't know their effect. Being new to this, mostly I've been trying to understand my mutations of CBS and MTHFR. So far that is keeping me very busy! Thanks for the tip on...
  9. B

I vote for one document, definitely. I feel it's best to have it in one place. And it doesn't sound like the document will be long or unwieldy :-)
  10. B

Thanks, @caledonia! I've just done the organic acids urine test (Great Plains Lab); I will check to see if that has some of the Nutreval markers. Obviously the Nutreval includes a lot of other information too. Looking forward to reading your document when it's ready.
  11. B

Hi @caledonia, thank you for your reply! Yes of course, I would love to be a guinea pig for your new document. I look forward to reading it! It's very kind of you to write up your knowledge to help people. I have a doctor appointment next Thursday (31st), and one specific question I have...
  12. B

I've received my 23andMe results, and ran them through GeneticGenie (methylation and detox). I'm new to this, so I need help to understand the implications of these mutations. It's critical for me to understand my results -- I've had severe neurological symptoms, and I hope that genetics will...
  13. B

UK Doctor for heavy metals & gut damage?

Thanks, @Uno and @manna for your replies. Very much appreciated! I will look into those practitioners.
  14. B

@ukxmrv, thank you for the suggestion! It's sad to hear about Dr Hyams. Regarding Biolab – I had the same thought, and rang them in February to ask about doctors. That's how I found the doctor that I'd been seeing for the past couple of months, and I'm afraid he was useless – it was a very...
  15. B

@minkeygirl, @maryb, @brenda, thank you all for your replies! I was hoping that someone may have had a good experience with chelation / gut repair, but clearly the doctors leave much to be desired... As a result we are all having to be our own doctor. There really should be better medical...
  16. B

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and I want to say that it's wonderful to see how everyone supports each other, both with medical knowledge and encouragement. I need to ask your recommendation for a doctor near London, UK. Especially after suffering terrifying neurological symptoms...