• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Isa's Mom

Hearing and GABA/glutamate imbalance

Thanks for the post. I don't hear things that aren't there, at least not yet!! I'll look for your other thread.
  2. Isa's Mom

Hearing and GABA/glutamate imbalance

Several years ago on this forum, someone mentioned GABA's and glutamate's impact on auditory processing. They mentioned that their symptom was hearing someone talk but not understanding or recognizing the sounds as words, which frequently happens to me. I don't remember if it was the same...
  3. Isa's Mom

B12/Folate recommendations

Hi, last time I was tested I did have high homocysteine levels. But that was at least 3 years ago. Right now I can't get tested but I'm looking for a new fatigue doc...I might go to Dr DeMeirleer. Thanks for the suggestion.
  4. Isa's Mom

B12/Folate recommendations

Hi all, In the midst of this horrible brain fog, I desperately need to order supplements, especially B12 and Folate, and whatever else would be helpful. I read through Caledonia's guide to SNP interpretation. I had 23 and me done recently, therefore I don't have information on SHMT1. I don't...
  5. Isa's Mom

Does MAO-A +/+ function like a MAO inhibitor?

Thanks to all of you for your replies! I think @Jonathan Edwards is right that these are fairly common side effects, and I shouldn't worry too much about my SNPs. But you're right @Valentijn, they are nasty and made me completely nonfunctional today. I'm going to take half a dose tomorrow and...
  6. Isa's Mom

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. Sorry for the confusion - I'm not taking an MAOI, just effexor, and I started having all these side effects. Since I'm +/+ for MAO-A, I was wondering if that might act similarly to taking an MAOI, which is contraindicated for use with effexor. I hope that makes...
  7. Isa's Mom

I just noticed that MAO inhibitors are contraindicated for treatment with effexor, which I just started due to a depressive episode. I don't really know what the symptoms are but I have elevated heart rate and I'm very shaky. I've also noticed increased dizziness upon standing since I started...
  8. Isa's Mom

Does going to a sleep study REALLY help anyone?

I totally agree with you on the "not sleeping is not an option I want to explore any further." Back in the States I'd found basicly a functional medicine doc who was willing to listen and work with me but I haven't had that luck in France. I was also having a serious bout of depression recently...
  9. Isa's Mom

I wouldn't mind trying trazodone again. It was many years ago that I had it. I'm in France and they tend to prescribe a lot of benzos, so recently they gave me noctinamide for sleep. And ambien. But they'll only give it to me for a month total. I'm very interested in the sleep angle bc Dr...
  10. Isa's Mom

I realize this post is a bit old, but I'm wondering how you found a doctor helpful enough to give you a cocktail like that. The reason I say this is bc this is what Dr. Teitelbaum recommends in his book, From Fatigued to Fantastic. I've recently been to a psychiatrist and he said he can give me...
  11. Isa's Mom

Genetic variants (SNPs) Interpretation Guide

Hi Caledonia, Thanks a lot for your input!! This site is great as is your guide. It's a lot to get my head around in this state of ME/CFS, which I know goes for pretty much everyone on here! But I try to remember (was it dr yasko who said) "it's a marathon, not a sprint." I read about CBS...
  12. Isa's Mom

Genetic variants (SNPs) Interpretation Guide

Hi, I'm new on the forum, although I've been doing research here for a while. I've been reading your SNP guide and I have a few questions I'm hoping you can answer. Are the recommendations for certain polymorphisms, for example ACAT, the same whether we're hetero or homozygous? I'm actually...