• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. B

Unfolded Protein Response and A Possible Treatment for CFS

Bingo! Please do not confuse crocin with an acetaminophen product. Tylenol produces oxidative stress -- not eliminates it. Saffron and Gardenia are herbs that contain high amounts of crocin. Gardenia is a better, cheaper choice since it also contains crocetin, another Xanthophyll...
  2. B

Significant improvement on MitoQ

There are many mitochondrial supports to support the different antioxidant pathways in the mitochondria and intra and extra-cellular matrices. What works for one and not another – or what did not work months ago and now seems to be working may have to do more with the multifaceted, diverse...
  3. B

SOD2 A16V homozygous mutation - anyone else?

Reservatrol was one of the substances I used for myeloma. Of course the oncologist insisted that it was useless, that they had tested all the “best resveratrols” and they had no effect on cancer. He said surely I was poisoning myself with B vitamins etc. and that I should stop all supplements...
  4. B

40% is good to know. I had issues related to oxidative stress since birth – but I was able to compete in sports in my youth and obviously was otherwise healthy. I do remember having extreme fatigue in high school – needing to go often to the nurse’s office to lie down as I felt like I could...
  5. B

That is probably one of the reason's pycnogenol helps with ADHD and other conditions related to ROS. Interesting that "Mn-SOD (SOD2) inhibited HIV-1 replication" that would help explain some of the immune issues I had. But I have to wonder if the SOD2 SNP means you are unable to make SOD2 or...
  6. B

SOD mimetic inhibits immune response in cerebral malaria

Tempol is often used in research to test whether or not a condition is related to free radical stress. Interesting that Tempol attenuated the hyper-coagulation and inflammatory response to cerebral malaria. It is most likely due to the improved cell signaling. One of the infections I...
  7. B

Interesting article on iron and Borrelia. I agree with the article that superoxide radicals are an important for the immune system. This is why oxidative therapies are so effective. However, excess free radicals are extremely damaging. Getting the redox cycle to work in balance is the key...
  8. B

Open your mind and do some basic research. 20% of all ALS is caused by a genetic issue with SOD1. The remainder have mixed causality -- some of which is attributed to toxins that effect the SOD pathway. And yes, depending on when in the disease process that Tempol is introduced and what other...
  9. B

Boo!!!! health - I politely sent you a note about not wanting to reveal the name of the physician -- and had you given me the same courtesy, I would have given you his name in an email. And for your information, I am an old, almost original member of this site who had not posted in a while so...
  10. B

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2012/0115905.html
  11. B

I too wonder about how my body compensated for the double deletion -- albeit poorly all these years. I mean I survived and was athletic in my youth -- so something was working. I am now looking closer at mitochondrial DNA for answers. Mitos has a few utility patents – but as near as I can...
  12. B

Yes - they did -- fibroids are 100% related to free radicals – gone! Glad my clotting issues prevented me earlier from taking a surgical approach to my fibroids. Patent US20120115905 mentions fibroids and cites clinical experience with it. Believe me I too was skeptical when I read the...
  13. B

One thing to remember with Tempol is that extrapolations from animal models, which are how human doses are normally calculated, do not apply to Tempol. The explanation is given in patent US20120115905. As for who I am – I am not a medical doctor. I worked in biotech for years for a federal...
  14. B

I came to the conclusion that the SOD2 snp has been at the heart of all of my health conditions my entire life - from my asthma which started at age 2 to my fibroids which have put me in the hospital with severe anemia to my glaucoma and chronic fatigue. I have also traced this snp as a...